Lilhobo,
I had forgotten that Gandalf seemed to know about Gollums role in the end, but he does say "the pity of Bilbo may rule the fate of many - yours not least". This certainly gives me the impression that Gandalf knows something about the things that are going to happen. But he doesn't seem to know everything - sorry Harad, I don't think Gandalf knew about the Balrog. He does say "A Balrog. Now I understand." and that does sound like he didn't expect it..... But how did Aragorn know? Uh huh, my head hurts
I had forgotten that Gandalf seemed to know about Gollums role in the end, but he does say "the pity of Bilbo may rule the fate of many - yours not least". This certainly gives me the impression that Gandalf knows something about the things that are going to happen. But he doesn't seem to know everything - sorry Harad, I don't think Gandalf knew about the Balrog. He does say "A Balrog. Now I understand." and that does sound like he didn't expect it..... But how did Aragorn know? Uh huh, my head hurts

