Elladan, Elrohir and Arwen.
My understanding was that they were given a choice that was the opposite of their father's and paternal grandparents's.
Basically they were elves, but they could choose to become mortal, I understood that was an explicit decision that they had to make at some point.
Arwen of course chose to be a mortal, but the faith of Elladan and Elrohir remained uncertain.
But then I was reading the Peoples of Middle Earth, and it gave 2 different accounts of this.
One is that they would remain elves as long as Elrond was in Middle Earth. Once Elrond departed to the west they either could go with him and remain elves or stay in Middle Earth and become human. That would eliminate any uncertainty because all 3 remained when Elrond left.
The other theory was that if they married a mortal, they would become mortal.
Arwen clearly married a mortal.
But Elladan and Elrohir were unmarried, so their fate was unknown at that point. My guess is if they married an elf, considering that elves marriages are for ever they would consolidate their status as elves.
But now, with something I had clear I am very confused.
My understanding was that they were given a choice that was the opposite of their father's and paternal grandparents's.
Basically they were elves, but they could choose to become mortal, I understood that was an explicit decision that they had to make at some point.
Arwen of course chose to be a mortal, but the faith of Elladan and Elrohir remained uncertain.
But then I was reading the Peoples of Middle Earth, and it gave 2 different accounts of this.
One is that they would remain elves as long as Elrond was in Middle Earth. Once Elrond departed to the west they either could go with him and remain elves or stay in Middle Earth and become human. That would eliminate any uncertainty because all 3 remained when Elrond left.
The other theory was that if they married a mortal, they would become mortal.
Arwen clearly married a mortal.
But Elladan and Elrohir were unmarried, so their fate was unknown at that point. My guess is if they married an elf, considering that elves marriages are for ever they would consolidate their status as elves.
But now, with something I had clear I am very confused.
