• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

The Old Forest

"The Perilous Realm!" And yet, they had already encountered High Elves at Woody End, where they are seldom seen (though they had often seen Bilbo and Frodo on their walks). The Old Forest was the first part of the journey where they actually expected trouble; though trouble had dogged their heels from the offset.
 
I did not think about them encountering the elves earlier, but that is a great point that you make about them entering the perilous realm. I also think that because they were familiar with Bilbo's stories encountering elves while certainly something Sam wanted to check off of his bucket list, was still within the known world to them. That gets me thinking that may part of the reason for the enigma which is Tom Bombadil, and also a purpose for the Barrow Wights. These were powerful denizens of faerie which the hobbits had no idea even existed. Tom Bombadil and Goldberry in particular are magical creatures with there magical abilities very evident. While there are times when the wizards cast spells, and Galadriel uses her mirror; most of the magic of the elves is subtle. Here in the old forest the trees cast spells to put the hobbits to sleep, Bombadil has song that works magic, and Goldberry sings and brings rain. This is a place full of magic and wonder, and Bombadil is the Faerie King. That's amazing, and it is quite significant that they come out again at Bree in the known world, but more prepared to tackle the quest before them.
 
Just the other day I was thinking about the old forest outside the Shire, and it dawned on me. This is the hobbits exiting the known and entering the realm of Faerie. I never really thought about it before, but I found it absolutely fascinating.


I deff agree with this perception. In the old day of England and even now the Forest is something as seen to be feared or weary of. Because it represents the unknown (Occult) which I think adds to the myth with the hobbits leaving their homes.
In my mind I always saw where Galadriel lived as the representation of this. But you're absolutely right, the forest beyond the shire is apart of the heros journey into the unknown.
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top