• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

The Riddle Thread

Originally posted by Úlairi
I don't think my riddles are too bad considering I make them up myself... *toots horn*

I think we should make them up ourselves, rather than using someone else’s parlor tricks from bars or the internet. Coming up with a riddle could be as much fun as figuring it out. Here‘s one of my own going back to the old fashioned "riddle" style:


The fingers of a crux and a Ring complete,
A wedge afore another and an upright meet,
A perilous stair; one leg trails behind,
And the way amid two is officially declined.
 
I'm taking a blind shot in the dark here, as I have no idea; but is it a screw?

Cheers,

Úlairi.
 
Great guesses; but no . I’ll give you two hints. It’s Middle-Earth related; and think....a little differently .
 
Mmmm, I thought so, or rather, I was afraid of this. My first instinct was to go with something related to entering Mordor, what with the stair and all...
 
I don't know why I feel confident about this as it is likely to be wrong; but is it a mountain? Or mountain range. I may even say tower but I believe the last line of the riddle rules out that possibility. Hold on, could it be The Two Towers?

Cheers,

Úlairi.
 
You’re reading into this too much. You do not have to look further than the riddle itself for the answer .
 
That first line had me thinking of churches and wagons.
 
So far Aulë is the closest, but probably not in the way he would expect .
 
Looks like I’m going to have to drop the H-Bomb (huge hint) pretty soon. Hmmm; I thought this would be an easy one .
 

Does it have anything to do with Cirith Ungol? (perilous stair)
 
You’re getting warmer. But again, probably not in the way you would expect .
 
I would have to say that it has "something" to do with Cirith Ungol, but only in the most general way.

I thought of that! The crux is giving me significant difficulty as my previous answers were based on the understanding that a crux is a cross. This is why I had answers like a screw.

Is it the Black Gate?

Hehehe - Úlairi got me thinking of this:


Good stuff, good stuff...

Cheers,

Úlairi.
 
Originally posted by Úlairi
The crux is giving me significant difficulty as my previous answers were based on the understanding that a crux is a cross

Previous is a good thing .
 
The fingers of a crux and a Ring complete,
A wedge afore another and an upright meet,
A perilous stair; one leg trails behind,
And the way amid two is officially declined.[/quote]

"fingers of a crux"= is it Sauron's fingers completing the Ring?
"upright meet"= is it Minas Morgul?
​
 
Here’s the first H-bomb:

What is the capital of Crux?
 
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…