• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

The Silmarillion:Ainulindalë

I would like to note that one of the reasons Melkor was greatest among the Ainur is because his 'good' counterpart Manwe could not and I repeat could not comprehend evil so he was at a loss.

Sangahyando, great-grandson of Castamir the Usurper
 
I would like to note that one of the reasons Melkor was greatest among the Ainur is because his 'good' counterpart Manwe could not and I repeat could not comprehend evil so he was at a loss.
I disagree; Manwe is described as "the spirit of greatest wisdom and prudence in Arda" (Myths Transformed) and in Osanwe kenta it is said that "(Manwe was wiser) or being ever open to Eru he did His will, which is more than wisdom". If Manwe lacked in comprehending evil, Melkor lacked in comprehending Eru's warning, potence and intent, which is far more serious. No one in their right mind should challenge the Big Guy :D
 
Woah! Poor Mel. Also, evil Spirit Of Sock Puppet, Manwe character! Ick. Sure, a guy who is just spewing the words that the Eru dude tells him to spew might sound at least halfway intelligent. Why not? As I wrote, Manwe was only a puppet. Eru's pet. I would call him a reminder to pay attention to Eru. There is no reason to respect a reminder, though. Anyways, why would anyone think that the superly cool Mel character can't comprehend all of that stuff about the Eru dude? Sure, I would admit that nobody really knows everything about the guy and how he thinks, but Mel was super smart. I am sure that he wasn't suffering from a lack of comprehension, just a difference of opinion. It is possible to understand everything about your opponent and still disagree, you should know.
 
Sure, I don't disagree with any of that. I was mostly ranting at the Thorondor_ person for writing about how the Manwe dude could be misconstrued as anything close to cool. :rolleyes:
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top