Nenya Evenstar
Elite
- Joined
- Aug 8, 2002
- Messages
- 2,495
Well, and I am going to be a late straggler into the conversation as well. 
First of all, to start with the topic being dicussed, I do not believe that the sense of sight was created only after the vision of Illuvatar was fulfilled. Yes, the Valar did not have physical forms, but does this mean that they could not see? I would say that they were, in their original forms, more on a spiritual level then physical level. They could see each other and the spiritual sides of life, but the Elves and mortals of ME could not see them as they did not have the gift of being able to see in the spiritual realm. Thus, Illuvatar could be considered to be in form spiritual but not physical, as could the halls of Eru.
First of all, to start with the topic being dicussed, I do not believe that the sense of sight was created only after the vision of Illuvatar was fulfilled. Yes, the Valar did not have physical forms, but does this mean that they could not see? I would say that they were, in their original forms, more on a spiritual level then physical level. They could see each other and the spiritual sides of life, but the Elves and mortals of ME could not see them as they did not have the gift of being able to see in the spiritual realm. Thus, Illuvatar could be considered to be in form spiritual but not physical, as could the halls of Eru.
I want to add my thoughts and interpretations on this: I have never thought of the mourning of Nienna as actually adding a never-before-seen sense into existence, or into ME for that matter. I have simply thought of her mourning during the music to be an echo of the mourning of the Children of Illuvatar and the Valar caused by the destruction and hate of Melkor. I have always pictured her to be the one who sang that part of the suffering of the Children of Iluvatar and the Valar.Perhaps, it gave pity and hope to both Elves and Men. Perhaps she saw that hope and was needed to help the Children of Ilúvatar. (Ex. War of Wrath.)
Actually, it was only on the Valar who entered ME that Iluvatar placed any sort of restriction. The Ainur outside of Iluvatar were not bound to the Void - they could enter Ea if they wished.So didn't Iluvatar say that you could go to Arda or you could stay and that would be your fate? So if he didn't go at the beginning which I don't think it specifically said he did how did he get there? Was it a special exception by Iluvatar to allow him to enter Arda later than the others because Iluvatar realized the Valar needed help with the war on Melkor?
Thus it came to pass that of the Ainur some abode still with Iluvatar beyond the confines of the World; but others, and among them many of the greatest and most fair, took the leave of Iluvatar and descended into it. But this condition Iluvatar made, or it is the necessity of their love, that their power should thenceforward be contained and bounded in the World, to be within it for ever, until it is complete, so that they are its life and it is theirs. And therefore they are named the Valar, the Powers of the World.
