• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

The Statues of the Kings

What Did You Think of the Kings?

  • They were just what I imagined.

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • They were far better than I imagined.

    Votes: 6 54.5%
  • They were sort of what I imagined.

    Votes: 2 18.2%
  • They were not at all how I imagined.

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

    Votes: 1 9.1%

  • Total voters
    11
  • Poll closed .
Magnificent!
But I don't know if the size is correct. The boats could hardly reach half of the foot of the statue. Were they actually so big?
 
That was one of the best uses of special effects I've ever seen. It looked so damn real. It might have been minatures in few shots, but in either case I was left breathless.
 
Originally posted by Talimon
That was one of the best uses of special effects I've ever seen. It looked so real....I was left breathless.
The whole river scene is done splendidly, looks wonderful, and the huge statues add a climax to it all- as you say, breathtaking.
 
except for the arms of the Argonaths, and no the behind shot is an illustration not the model
 
As Frodo was borne towards them the great pillars rose like towers to meet him. Giants they seemed to him, vast grey figures silent but threatening. Then he saw that they were indeed shaped and fashioned: the craft and power of old had wrought upon them, and still they preserved through the suns and rains of forgotten years the mighty likenesses in which they had been hewn. Upon great pedestals founded in the deep waters stood two great kings of stone: still with blurred eyes and crannied brows they frowned upon the North. The left hand of each was raised palm outwards in gesture of warning; in each right hand there was an axe; upon each head there was a crumbling helm and crown. Great power and majesty they still wore, the silent wardens of a long-vanished kingdom. Awe and fear fell upon Frodo, and he cowered down, shutting his eyes and not daring to look up as the boat drew near. Even Boromir bowed his head as the boats whirled by. frail and fleeting as little leaves, under the enduring shadow of the sentinels of Númenor. So they passed into the dark chasm of the Gates.

I think that is a wonderful passage, though the film captures the essence of these great figures with visual beauty, we still lose the meaning of these to both Aragorn and Boromir. That was in my estimation, unfortunate.
 
I put far better than what i imagined, but actually thw were about the same. (onlyfar better in the movie ;) )

and joxy! finally we agree on one thing!!!:D :rolleyes:
 
As good as what I had imagined, but different. I too, loved that part in the movie.;)
 
It was one of few scenes that comes close to the book. comming from me that is a compliment
 
Originally posted by Diamond Took
and joxy! finally we agree on one thing!!!
Yes, we agree on this one DT! It almost seems to be a better scene each time I see it. That's even taking into account what Anc has just pointed out, that A&B's reactions weren't "right", and also, from the text, that the statues should have been on pedestals out in the river not on the banks- I must admit the feet look rather silly as the boats pass them- but I can put up with that for the magnificence of everything else!
 
The feet didn't look silly as the boats passed by! They gave a great visual on how enourmas those statues actually were in comparison to people!

~Ariana
 
Originally posted by Ariana Undomiel
The feet didn't look silly as the boats passed by! They gave a great visual on how enourmas those statues actually were in comparison to people!
Sorry Ariana, you mean in your opinion they don't look silly.
In mine they do, and we're both entitled to our opinions!
I don't know why, maybe it's just that big feet, and toes,
have something intrinsically funny about them,
whoever or whatever they are on..
 
You are absolutely right. I apologize. It is in my opinion that there was nothing SILLY looking about the statue's feet. They were visually well done and it was amazing to watch as the three boats slipped silently past them down the river.

~Ariana
 
Originally posted by Ariana Undomiel
I apologize....it was amazing to watch as the three boats slipped silently past.
Thanks Ariana. Yes, the whole river journey was done beautifully, probably the best sequence in the film. The statues were also probably the best effect, very cleverly done, and so impressive.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top