• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Tolkien in the Twenty-first Century

finarvyn

Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2022
Messages
53
It's a book by Nick Groom, copyright 2023. I didn't see a thread on it.

I'm around 100 pages in and it's good so far. Lots of biographical information, some discussion about the works that JRRT wrote prior to LotR, discussion about good and evil in Middle-earth. Anyone else read this, and if so what do you think about it?

 
It's a book by Nick Groom, copyright 2023. I didn't see a thread on it.

I'm around 100 pages in and it's good so far. Lots of biographical information, some discussion about the works that JRRT wrote prior to LotR, discussion about good and evil in Middle-earth. Anyone else read this, and if so what do you think about it?

It is always helpful to know something about the author. . . . Nick Groom
 
Just finished the book and enjoyed it. I guess no one else here has this one?
 
Just finished the book and enjoyed it. I guess no one else here has this one?
This is the solitary One Star review on Amazon. What is your opinion of it? Is it accurate? Partially accurate? Not at all accurate?

Mr. Groom is a wonderful writer and researcher. However, 7/8s of this book is a review of various movie adaptations of LOTR from Backshi to Zaentz to Peter Jackson. All 20th century works. With only a single chapter tacked on at the end on 21st century issues such as climate change and social justice, it was not as advertised by the title and I was disappointed by that.
 
I haven't read it, but I found a publicly accessible Review published in Mythlore 42.2 from 2024. From what I've read there, it seems to me that the goal of the book was never to give interpretation of a book through a lens of 21st Century issues or concerning 21st Century adaptations. It's more of a "I've read this in the 21st Century and here is my take about it". So the title really seems to be a bit misleading, but otherwise it sounds interesting.
 
Sure, it has to do a lot with Lord of the Rings. There are Books and Articles concerning themselves with Tolkien's writings in terms of the environment, nature and as well Climate Change. Here are some I found.

Dickerson, M. T., & Evans, J. (2006). ents, elves, and eriador: The environmental vision of J.R.R. Tolkien. University Press of Kentucky.
Habermann, I., & Kuhn, N. (2011). Sustainable Fictions – Geographical, Literary and Cultural Intersections in J. R. R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings. The Cartographic Journal, 48(4), 263–273.
Laine, S. (2005). Finding Nature’s Intrinsic Value: Affinity to Nature and Environmental Destruction in The Lord of the Rings. Tolkien Studies, 2(1), 197-216.
Larsen, K. (2019). Fire and Snow: Climate Fiction from the Inklings to Game of Thrones by Marc DiPaolo. Mythlore: A Journal of JRR Tolkien, CS Lewis, Charles Williams, and Mythopoeic Literature, 37(2), 18.

I was quite surprised that I wasn't able to find a thread in here, where this is already discussed. Concerning the content of the LotR Saruman's Isengard as an evil that destroys a god given nature with industrial means out of greed and lust for power is a part of the Lord of the Rings that instantly comes to my mind. But even if a topic isn't directly part of a story, the story can still be analysed in terms of relevant themes or through a retrospective lens that tries to fit the story within a new framework. Much like the author of this one-star review, I would have guessed from the title that this is what is happening in the book.
 
This is the solitary One Star review on Amazon. What is your opinion of it? Is it accurate? Partially accurate? Not at all accurate?

Mr. Groom is a wonderful writer and researcher. However, 7/8s of this book is a review of various movie adaptations of LOTR from Backshi to Zaentz to Peter Jackson. All 20th century works. With only a single chapter tacked on at the end on 21st century issues such as climate change and social justice, it was not as advertised by the title and I was disappointed by that.
I see where the reviewer got his thought, but I'm not sure I agree.

I'm not sure how "new" the book is, but a lot of it goes through a biography of Tolkien's life (to put his writing in context) and then runs through what things JRRT had written prior to LotR (to give perspective of how he got there) and then talked about his writing process to get to the final manuscript (to give a feel for his "headspace" when writing). It does spend time looking at media adaptations (both radio and film, then finally the TV "Rings of Power" series) and how (and why) those adaptations differ from the written word.

I assumed the main thesis of the book was more, "how Middle-earth is viewed 50 years after JRRT's passing" and it didn't occur to me that climate change and social justice would even be a thing. In fact, that was my least favorite chapter.
 

Tolkien in the Twenty-first Century.​

This is the solitary One Star review on Amazon. What is your opinion of it? Is it accurate? Partially accurate? Not at all accurate?

Mr. Groom is a wonderful writer and researcher. However, 7/8s of this book is a review of various movie adaptations of LOTR from Backshi to Zaentz to Peter Jackson. All 20th century works. With only a single chapter tacked on at the end on 21st century issues such as climate change and social justice, it was not as advertised by the title and I was disappointed by that.

I have seen this book in a used bookstore. I didn't buy it. I disagree with this reviewer in saying that Peter Jackson's movie depictions are '20th century'.
It may have gotten started in the last couple years of the 20th century, but by the time the first movie came out, it was the 21st century.
Sadly, 'Tolkien' in the 21st century is widely considered to be Peter Jackson's depictions of his stories. :(
 
I assumed the main thesis of the book was more, "how Middle-earth is viewed 50 years after JRRT's passing"
Just got my hands on a copy of the book, and Groom is very upfront with this in his Foreword.

"This Book is about being inside the story, a wild story. It is not an (apparently) straightforward introduction to Tolkien’s world – not only are there plenty of such primers, guides, and encyclopedias, but they tend to get rapidly bogged down in the minutiae of Tolkien’s ‘legendarium’ or ‘mythos’ (his complex architecture of gods and goddesses, the intricate lore of the many peoples of Middle-Earth, and their entangled histories and tales across thousands of years). Within a few pages, these books are preaching to the converted and are lost in the arcana of the ‘Ainur’ and ‘Maiar’, and purveying imaginary deities to perplexed readers rather than doing what they should be doing, which is, simply, explaining the value of the writing.
[...]
In contrast, Twenty-First-Century Tolkien takes as its starting point the Tolkien phenomenon today: a multi-media mix and fix of literature, art, music, radio, cinema, gaming, fandom, and popular culture – a never-ending Middle-Earth. We cannot return to a purely literary Middle-Earth independent of, primarily, Sir Peter Jackson’s extraordinary films. We should therefore accept that any assessment of newly published works drawn from the Tolkien archives – as well as new adaptations of his tales and imagined histories – are inevitably going to be deeply coloured by the multifaceted twenty-first-century Tolkien ‘industry’, for want of a better term."


To be honest, I haven't read the book in full. From the foreword, it seemed like it could contain some information with worth concerning the discussion of the status of Tolkien's works as a modern myth, which I am currently interested in, so I read parts of it here and there to make myself a rough picture as I do with every book I consider for research before I commit to the time to read it in full. It seems to be an interesting book for anyone who wants to learn about the making of the Lord of the Rings as well as the Jackson Trilogy and adds a lot of factoids and relations I wasn't aware of yet. It is undoubtedly a valuable book and written with lots of expertise and love for the subject, and I will probably read it completely at a later point in time. However, there is also something bugging me about it.
Mr. Groom is a wonderful writer and researcher. However, 7/8s of this book is a review of various movie adaptations of LOTR from Backshi to Zaentz to Peter Jackson. All 20th century works
I wouldn't call it like this, but this reviewer seems to be pointing out rightly, that the vast majority of the book that is about adaptations, centres heavily on Jackson's and 'fails' to deliver on the kind of promise made in the foreword about a multi-media mix and a never-ending Middle-Earth, that 'overcomes' a purely literary work of canon. To be fair, even though the Jackson Movies are a brainchild of the 90s and therefore not entirely 21st century adaptations, he rightly points out, that Jackson connected his vision of Middle-Earth so thoroughly with the story, that it irreversibly shaped the perception of Tolkien in this century and to this day. So focussing on this might be understandable, but if this overshadows all the other ways of modern engagement with Tolkien, then the focus was too narrow.

This to me was made partially evident with what should be the most recent part of the book to be analysed. "Twenty-First-Century Tolkien will accordingly consider areas such as uncertainty and the indeterminate, [...] as well as Tolkien in a post-Covid age." This statement made in the foreword makes it seem like there will be a - if brief - highly up-to-date analysis of Covid-Age Tolkien Interpretations but in the end, Covid is mentioned on six pages, with most of the analysis only taking up three and concerning the Rings of Power Series and some lukewarm guesses about how Tolkien's Works could've helped to overcome lockdown induced feelings of loneliness, which seems to only be loosely based on this one article. It is certainly within the topic of the book, but a lot less than I hoped for and feel was 'advertised'. In addition, the parts that touch on the Rings of Power and Covid also circle back to Jackson. He is mentioned at about the same rate as Frodo, or elves at well over 250 times.

To me, there are essential parts missing for a book that wants to give insight in 21st century Tolkien. I mean, how do you mention social media only three times in the entire book and corresponding memes using Tolkien/Jackson material not even once, even though they are arguably the most prevalent piece of Tolkien media in existence? Computer games such as Battle for Middle-Earth are only mentioned insofar as they were based on Jackson's movie adaptations and are absent from the narrative afterwards. Fan fictions are completely absent and there are 1.2k Lord of the Rings stories on Wattpad with views ranging from a couple of thousands to half a million. Fan Forums like this very one? Missing. All of this would, from my point of view, be essential for any thorough analysis of the relevance and reception of Tolkien in this 21st century, which is why I got the feeling, this book is missing out on a lot of things which itself considers its subject.
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top