• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Tolkien's Absence of Insecta

Ent

Pondering Ponderings Ponderings
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Jun 28, 2022
Messages
5,014
Huh. I just recognized it's entirely possible Tolkien makes no mention whatsoever of the Insecta in his works.

Certainly he includes other of the flora and fauna, and even a token acknowledgement of the Arachnida in the spiders... but I cannot extract a single memory of mention of an insect.

Am I amiss? (more than usual, that is....)
 
Come to think of it, when somebody climbed way up to the top of the trees in Mirkwood, I believe there were insecta there too - moths.
 
Hum.
More Insecta trivia: sometimes AI has a value. (And sometimes it doesn't.)

According to Tolkien's works,
both moths and butterflies are mentioned as being present in Mirkwood Forest.

  • Butterflies: Bilbo Baggins observes "black emperor" butterflies in the treetops, described as dark, velvety black without markings.
  • Moths: Thorin's company encounters large, dark-grey and black moths that are nearly as big as a person's hand, particularly at night when they try to light fires.
So the winged insects are well represented. I'll keep my eyes open and leaves on the alert for any others.
 
And for even more AI assistance, we have:

 
Hum.
More Insecta trivia: sometimes AI has a value. (And sometimes it doesn't.)

According to Tolkien's works,
both moths and butterflies are mentioned as being present in Mirkwood Forest.

  • Butterflies: Bilbo Baggins observes "black emperor" butterflies in the treetops, described as dark, velvety black without markings.
  • Moths: Thorin's company encounters large, dark-grey and black moths that are nearly as big as a person's hand, particularly at night when they try to light fires.
So the winged insects are well represented. I'll keep my eyes open and leaves on the alert for any others.
They in fact appear in the chapter entitled "Flies and Spiders". Bilbo also sees "ordinary" spiders at the top of the tree he climbs.

In addition to the Neeker-breekers, there are the "clouds of tiny midges" after which the Midgewater Marshes are named, and "Flies began to torment them". So at least three different insects in "A Knife in the Dark".
 
And more:
  1. Flies and Mosquitoes
  2. Gnats, Midges, and Fleas
    • The Marish, a region in the Shire, is described as full of mosquitoes and midges.
    • There's mention of fleas, especially in the lighthearted and rustic descriptions of the Shire.
Implied or Symbolic Insects
  1. Simile and Metaphor
    • Orcs and armies are sometimes compared to swarms, though the insect metaphor is not always explicit.
    • In The Silmarillion, Morgoth’s hosts are sometimes likened to buzzing swarms, implicitly evoking insects.
  2. Songs and Poems
    • The whimsical Tom Bombadil references flies and other small creatures in his songs, though not always specifically by type.
 
I trust (and dare I say 'hope' though I hold it loosely) my post in the Trivia Thread about Spiders and Insects (Arachnida and Insecta) helps to point out the issue of 'accuracy' versus 'pedantry.'

In many ways, classifying spiders with insects is kinda like saying the sun and the moon are the same - or a lollipop on a stick is like an ice cream sandwich.

Just about the only thing arachnida and insecta have in common are they both have exoskeletons - yet even those are very different.

(This all fits directly into my book, too. It involves the 'affective responses' - and the historical/cultural conditioning. For many, at some point they were told spiders and insects were in the same class, or spiders were insects. Their Wonder and Curiosity never kicked in, and questions were never asked. Thus, they continue to call the Sun the Moon, and a lollipop an ice cream sandwich, without realizing it.)

And now.... yes now... you're free to tell me I'm being "pedantic..!!" 🤣
 
Last edited:
There is mention of lichens, which are partly
fungi.
you're free to tell me I'm being "pedantic..!!" 🤣
Well, if we're really going to do a deep dive into questions of pedantry -- or "accuracy", if you prefer -- you'll note that, though I cited spiders in my post above about the "Flies and Spiders" chapter, I didn't claim they were insects.
revolt.jpg
 
That makes me wonder if there are any references to non-edible fungi in Tolkien's works. Obviously the hobbits love mushrooms and seem to both forage and cultivate them. But I can't recall any other mention of fungi.
I recall reading somewhere that Elves at first did not usually eat mushrooms, as it could be hard to tell which ones were good and which ones were poisonous. If this indeed existed somewhere in Tolkien's writings (and I didn't dream it or something 😂), it seems like the kind of thing he'd write down as a note, rather than include in a story. And I suppose the most this does is confirm that mushrooms toxic to humanoids existed.
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top