• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Tom Bombadil - Who or what?


Where is he described as the first thing on Middle-Earth? I've never read that?
 
Where is he described as the first thing on Middle-Earth? I've never read that?

I think this quote is where we get the idea that he's the oldest thing on earth from:

"Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...He knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless - before the Dark Lord came from Outside."

He also calls himself the eldest and Gandalf refers to him as eldest too:

 
There is a poll in the Halls of Fire that contains a post by Talierin which I would recommend to anyone who seriously wishes to consider who or what Tom Bombadil is. First, though, you might want to furnish yourself with a plate of sandwiches and a cup of tea - it's spread over three posts.
 
I just finished reading the part with Tom Bombadil. I noticed that he works his magic (or whatever you would call it) through the use of songs. For example, he defeats Old Man Willow and the barrowwight through songs. And he taught the hobbits a song to summon him. I don't recall anybody else using music to work their magic. The elves' and wizards' use of magic seems to be more organic and not through the use of spells or incantations. Why do you think Bombadil works through music to do what he does?
 
Although it is not seen much in LotR, the use of song for the working of "magic" is part of Tolkien's legendarium. It starts being used right at the beginning with the Music of the Ainur where the history and fate of Arda is set. You can find at various points during the early ages where song is used such as Luthien singing songs of power to grow her hair and imbue it with sleep. Also the battle between Sauron and Finrod Felagund where they fought with Songs of Power. Some of the details of how magic is used will be found in the HoME books rather than in the Sil. or LotR.
 
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…