HLGStrider
All Knowing Magic Cat
- Joined
- Dec 17, 2001
- Messages
- 7,750
World Magazine (a Christian publication) recently put out a top Fifty Books of Western Culture.
Lord of the Rings was on there, of course, but I don't know which number it was. It only listed the top five in order of best to least. The rest were divided into catagories of era.
I thought I'd list them as well as put down which ones I have read just for the heck of it. They included a commentary paragraph with each, but I don't want to type all that.
Top five:
1. Bible, Multiple inspired authors (read it)
2. Paradise Lost, John Milton
3. King Lear, William Shakespeare
4. Pilgrim's Progress, John Bunyan
5. The Temple, George Herbert
Ancient Books :
The Illiad, Homer (I started to read this but I forget why I didn't finish)
Gorgias, Plato
Antigone, Sophocles
The Aeneid, Virgil
Sayings of the Fathers, Translated by Joseph H. Hertz
Confessions, Augustine of Hippo
The Divine Comedy, Dante Alighieri
The Canterbury Tales, Geoffry Chaucer (I've read most of it but not all)
Le Morte D'Arthur, Thomas Mallory
Summa Theologica, Thomas Aquinas
Renaissance & Reformation:
Dr. Faustus, Christopher Marlowe
The Faerie Queene, Edmund Spenser
Don Quixote, Miguel De Cervantes (I've read this, but I think my version might have been shortened.)
Institutes of the Christian Religion, John Calvin
Book of Martyrs, John Foxe (Read it)
Devotions upon Emergent Occasions, John Donne
Pensees, Blaise Pascal
The Two Treatises of Government, John Locke
18th Century:
Gulliver's Travels, Jonathan Swift
Robinson Crusoe, Daniel Defoe (I've never finished it, but I have started it.
)
Tristram Shandy, Laurence Sterne
The Wealth of Nations, Adam Smith
The Federalist Papers, James Madison, Alexander Hamilton, John Jay
Reflections on the Revolution in France, Edmund Burke
19th Century:
Sense and Sensibility, Jane Austin
Lyrical Ballads, William Wordsworth and Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Democracy in America, Alexis De Tocqueville
Economic Harmonies, Frederic Bastiat
David Copperfield, Charles Dickens (READ IT!)
Moby **** (curse the editting software. . .), Herman Melville
Leaves of Grass, Walt Whitman
Innocents Abroad, Mark Twain
Grime and Punishment, Fyodor Dostoevsky
Master and Man, Leo Tolstoy
20th Century:
Ash Wednesday, T.S. Eliot
The Bear, William Faulkner
The Violent Bear it Away, Flannery O'Connor
The Lord of the Rings, JRR Tolkien (READ IT READ IT READ IT)
The Power and the Glory, Graham Greene
The Chronicles of Narnia, C.S. Lewis (read it)
Survival in Auschwitz, Primo Levi
Witness, Whittaker Chambers
The Cypresses Believe in God, Jose Gironella
The Civil War, Shelby Foote
The Second Coming, Walker Percy.
GOSH! How much I haven't read. ..
Anyway, I know all of you would have some to add or take off this list or change the order or something like that, but I thought it would be fun to see how many of these you have read or something like that. . .
Lord of the Rings was on there, of course, but I don't know which number it was. It only listed the top five in order of best to least. The rest were divided into catagories of era.
I thought I'd list them as well as put down which ones I have read just for the heck of it. They included a commentary paragraph with each, but I don't want to type all that.
Top five:
1. Bible, Multiple inspired authors (read it)
2. Paradise Lost, John Milton
3. King Lear, William Shakespeare
4. Pilgrim's Progress, John Bunyan
5. The Temple, George Herbert
Ancient Books :
The Illiad, Homer (I started to read this but I forget why I didn't finish)
Gorgias, Plato
Antigone, Sophocles
The Aeneid, Virgil
Sayings of the Fathers, Translated by Joseph H. Hertz
Confessions, Augustine of Hippo
The Divine Comedy, Dante Alighieri
The Canterbury Tales, Geoffry Chaucer (I've read most of it but not all)
Le Morte D'Arthur, Thomas Mallory
Summa Theologica, Thomas Aquinas
Renaissance & Reformation:
Dr. Faustus, Christopher Marlowe
The Faerie Queene, Edmund Spenser
Don Quixote, Miguel De Cervantes (I've read this, but I think my version might have been shortened.)
Institutes of the Christian Religion, John Calvin
Book of Martyrs, John Foxe (Read it)
Devotions upon Emergent Occasions, John Donne
Pensees, Blaise Pascal
The Two Treatises of Government, John Locke
18th Century:
Gulliver's Travels, Jonathan Swift
Robinson Crusoe, Daniel Defoe (I've never finished it, but I have started it.
Tristram Shandy, Laurence Sterne
The Wealth of Nations, Adam Smith
The Federalist Papers, James Madison, Alexander Hamilton, John Jay
Reflections on the Revolution in France, Edmund Burke
19th Century:
Sense and Sensibility, Jane Austin
Lyrical Ballads, William Wordsworth and Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Democracy in America, Alexis De Tocqueville
Economic Harmonies, Frederic Bastiat
David Copperfield, Charles Dickens (READ IT!)
Moby **** (curse the editting software. . .), Herman Melville
Leaves of Grass, Walt Whitman
Innocents Abroad, Mark Twain
Grime and Punishment, Fyodor Dostoevsky
Master and Man, Leo Tolstoy
20th Century:
Ash Wednesday, T.S. Eliot
The Bear, William Faulkner
The Violent Bear it Away, Flannery O'Connor
The Lord of the Rings, JRR Tolkien (READ IT READ IT READ IT)
The Power and the Glory, Graham Greene
The Chronicles of Narnia, C.S. Lewis (read it)
Survival in Auschwitz, Primo Levi
Witness, Whittaker Chambers
The Cypresses Believe in God, Jose Gironella
The Civil War, Shelby Foote
The Second Coming, Walker Percy.
GOSH! How much I haven't read. ..
Anyway, I know all of you would have some to add or take off this list or change the order or something like that, but I thought it would be fun to see how many of these you have read or something like that. . .
Last edited:
