• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Two Bridges in Moria

joxy

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2002
Messages
3,166
Does anyone know why PJ invented an extra bridge for Moria?
The scene is visually impressive, exciting, everything fine (except poor Gimli's two lines!), but why is it there?
We are having to buy a new set of DVDs partly because PJ "had to" leave out some of the scenes he liked. Is he saying the new bridge was more important than any of the original ones we have to pay extra for?
And btw, does anyone know why we are treated on the soundtrack at around that point to a lot of loud echoing male voices singing or shouting what sounds like "doo-wah, doo-wah"?
 
I dont really know. I guess to pass time. You wouldnt just have Gandalf say RUN and then they come to the bridge, and only Gandalf seems in danger. It makes a better movie if it seems that some of the main characters need to struggle for dear life.
 
Originally posted by Anamatar IV
It makes a better movie if it seems that some of the main characters need to struggle for dear life.
But what's wrong with them struggling at THE bridge? Why do we need two?
 
Again, Joxy, PJ has made some changes from the book and you don't like it. I agree that it was important to show more of struggle with the characters. Although that part with Aragorn and Frodo balancing on the broken stairway is unrealistic because that thing must have weighed tons and there is no way that they could have had an affect on which way it moved by shifting their weight. It was great suspence though. :) Besides, if they had any show of struggle at the bridge that would still be a variation from the book.

~Ariana
 
The whole point of the bridge is that they pass it quickly, and Gandalf stays back to divert the Balrog. The staircase scene (which I assume you are reffering to as bridge) is just a scene to add to the suspense. It helps rhythmicly. It wouldn't feel right to have them reach the bridge in the switch of a shot.

And btw, does anyone know why we are treated on the soundtrack at around that point to a lot of loud echoing male voices singing or shouting what sounds like "doo-wah, doo-wah"?

It's in dwarvish. I don't remember what it is they are actually singing, but there was a site that had translations for all the singing in the movie.
 
Originally posted by Ariana Undomiel
PJ has made some changes from the book and you don't like it. I agree that it was important to show more of struggle with the characters.
I didn't say I didn't like it!
On the contrary I gave it high praise!
I just ask why it is there.
I am afraid I don't understand your point about showing more struggle with the characters.
 
Originally posted by Talimon
The staircase scene (which I assume you are refering to as bridge) is just a scene to add to the suspense. It helps rhythmically. It wouldn't feel right to have them reach the bridge in the switch of a shot.
[the singing]
It's in dwarvish.
There are some stairs but the thing that breaks looks like a cross between a bridge and an aqueduct.
There isn't enough suspense already; not enough rhythm?
Gandalf has just told them the bridge is not far ahead, so does it "feel right" that they come to the staircase/bridge aqueduct first and have a long exciting impressive scene on it, before the shorter actual bridge scene? Or does THAT break the rhythm?
Thank you for the singing info. Why is dwarvish appropriate there?
PJ seems to have an admiration for the other Ring, Wagner's.
 
Originally posted by Anamatar IV
Dwarvish is appropiate there since...they are IN a dwarvish mine
Fair enough, though a poignant theme of the setting is that all the dwarves who mined it have long since been dead. Those voices are too much like a very alive Wagnerian chorus to impress me.
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top