Maeglin
Elite
- Joined
- Jul 26, 2002
- Messages
- 2,194
If a Balrog and Ungoliant were to fight, who would win the battle? They are both powerful maia, corrupted by Melkor, and you may jump to the conclusion that Balrogs are more powerful, BUT:
From "Of the Darkening of Valinor":
From "Of the Flight of the Noldor":
There's a lot more to that quote about how bad the cry was and how the Balrogs came and saved Melkor and everything.
But anyway, I don't think any other creature could make Morgoth scream in pain like that, definitely not a balrog, and it took several of them to save Morgoth, so I think she could take on one of them.
From "Of the Darkening of Valinor":
But so soon as any came up with the Cloud of Ungoliant the riders of the Valar were blinded and dismayed, and they were scattered, and went they knew not whither; and the sound of the Valaroma faltered and failed.
From "Of the Flight of the Noldor":
There's a lot more to that quote about how bad the cry was and how the Balrogs came and saved Melkor and everything.
But anyway, I don't think any other creature could make Morgoth scream in pain like that, definitely not a balrog, and it took several of them to save Morgoth, so I think she could take on one of them.


