• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Was Melkor Defeated by Turin with Tulkas' Support?

Turin_Turambar

Mormegil
Joined
Mar 25, 2021
Messages
532
34c9011a82adbdc442aa399f93de4cca400b9aa9.jpg

I came across this picture by chance. Do you think this picture is true and canon? Did turin kill melkor with the help of tulkas?
 
I think this artwork just depicts wishful thinking, and personally believe only Eru Iluvatar Himself could actually destroy or unmake Melkor.
Whenever I see artwork like this that depict the size difference between Morgorth and the Children of Iluvatar, I cannot help but think Feanor, Fingolfin, and others like them were simply delusional (aka completely bonkers) believing they could defeat this great evil without the aid of at least one of the Valar. And by aid, I mean having them literally fighting by their side, not just through granting blessings and gifts.

The Valar DID try to warn the Noldor of this, but of course they did not listen and they paid a dear price for it.
 
One also wonders why Morgoth is pictured with sharp teeth and claws. I don't think him a werewolf/Dracula combination...
That said, we do know his fana was a 'tall, dark figure of great majesty and terror.'
So who knows. Perhaps he had an Orc or two tend to his teeth and fit out his hands with iron claws.
 
Do you think this picture is true and canon?

I think it's an opinion by an artist, and opinion expressed in a picture instead of words -- and I think the "proof" part must come from JRRT's writings.

Moreover, what is "true" is not the same as what truly is part the legendarium: a poem about a Troll baking bread for a Hobbit is part of the legendarium, but that doesn't mean it's necessarily true within the world of Middle-earth itself.

Is the Mannish Myth that Turin will one day deal Morgoth his death blow, necessarily true? It's a mannish myth about a future event in any case, even if Tolkien had decided to publish it.
 
I saw that
Thought you might have. But I still concluded it was unnecessary into the bargain.
I rather suspect friend @Turin_Turambar posted the original picture in jest.
There are SO many of these wildly unreasonable artworks done everywhere, it's difficult to grasp where they're getting their source information from.

So in any event, I chose to remove my 'jest' that followed your post as distracting. Don't want to derail anything. 😇
 
Thought you might have. But I still concluded it was unnecessary into the bargain.
I rather suspect friend @Turin_Turambar posted the original picture in jest.
There are SO many of these wildly unreasonable artworks done everywhere, it's difficult to grasp where they're getting their source information from.

So in any event, I chose to remove my 'jest' that followed your post as distracting. Don't want to derail anything. 😇
No, I didn't share it as a joke. Because some pictures on the internet are made to portray scenes in books.
 
No, I didn't share it as a joke. Because some pictures on the internet are made to portray scenes in books
Oh, OK. My sincere apologies.
In that case you force me into a cataclysmic decision. I need to agree with Elthir on something. :eek:
(Which I actually almost always do anyway.)

""proof" must come from JRRT's writings."
 
You're reading it wrongly.
Yes, it's a canon image, but this image shows an event waaay before Dagor Dagorath, when Morgoth had a terrible itching, and his screams broke the void and annoyed Valars, so they sent Tulkas and Turin helping him, where Turin will scratch Morgoth on the back with his pointy sword.
Since when did Morgoth seek help from Tulkas and Turin for his back itch? Is this something you dreamed about or is there something Tolkien didn't tell us about?
 

Similar threads

Back
Top