• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

What Are Your 🎶Music Endeavors Right Now?

If you love the sound of an organ, you should look up Anna Lapwood. She travels around the world playing on massive pipe organs, and the music she plays is absolutely incredible. It's also amazing just to watch her play because of the layered complexity it requires to bring this music to life, and she does it so masterfully.
Actually I am a huge fan of hers already! 😊 (I actually discovered her by way of this forum not long after I joined. 😅 ) I also love the Salisbury Organist on Youtube.
 
Ooh!! Cello is the best! I have been playing for 5-6 years now and have loved every second of it:) If you get the chance, try playing around with chords- you'll find you can almost play the cello like a guitar!
😃 Ah, a cellist! I too, have loved it so far (other than the bowhold which I have yet to master). I have not made it to chords much yet but you are right!
 
Last edited:
Hello! First time posting! But I just released a song called "The Dragon Smog" inspired by Smaug which I thought belonged here! I am now working on a music video which I'll be able to share on April 27th.

I'm very happy with the lyrics, telling the story of battling a dragon, but I struggled greatly with the instrumental. I wish it were more cinematic.
 
Quick question, Dvořák.
539.jpg

540.jpg


WHY.


(I've been playing my violin again after being inactive for a long time. There's a community orchestra I'm intending to join, and in one of their upcoming summer get-togethers, they're playing Dvořák's 8th symphony. Which I've played before, but I think it was a bit simplified, because I do NOT remember all these crazy high notes being in there!)

Also, Dvořák, exactly how do you expect me to start off fortissimo and then crescendo...?
541.jpg
 
Last edited:
I'm writing a 6-book series set in Middle-earth. I written lyrics for a number of songs.

I have a short song an Elf-maid sings to lull nearby birds in the brush into relaxing instead of flying away as she and her companion approach. Why? Because the brush is on the crest of a ridge that overlooks the King's Road through Calenardhon. Anyone near the road below would know to pay attention to her travel path if the birds all scattered en masse. I wrote it to fit a folk song tune. Also a lullaby to the same tune.

Another song is a short dirge set to an old Finnish Kantele, nuku nuku nurmilintu.

A song protesting the king's decision to forbid a marriage set to another old folk tune, The Lowlands of Holland.

I picked old tunes for a couple of reasons. One, I have zero ability or training to compose music. Ditto when it comes to playing it. But most important, if the bones of a folk tune are superb, it get altered to fit current circumstances and musical tastes. But it's lineage is still recognizable centuries or more afterwards.

There's a few other songs, but I didn't get enough sleep last night, and my mind's blank on them.
 
I have doing been more and more music self study and exploration endeavors lately with the summer time I have! Cello, piano, theory study, and ear training. I think the ABRSM music theory textbooks and this (https://www.tonegym.co/dashboard/school) look good. Practicing daily and focusing on ear training. Please, share any suggestions or ideas you have. :)
 
In my recent voice lessons I've been working on a song from Rodger's and Hammerstein's musical Carousel called "Mister Snow." In this song, Carrie is describing to her best friend the man she loves and has just become engaged with, dreaming about what it'll be like when they get married. It's very sweet, with a bit of humor in the beginning, and I love the more classical style of singing from the era.


There's also a reprise later in the show, and I think the ending of it is so cute! 🥺

 
Update on my current music endeavors! I did decide to join the community orchestra mentioned a few posts back, and I'm so glad I did, because I did not realize just how badly I was missing playing in an orchestra. We're getting ready for our Halloween concert on the 30th. We're playing "Night on the Bald Mountain," a Pirates of the Caribbean medley, and a few other fun things. Orchestra rehearsals are currently my favorite activity during the week!

And on the singing front, I've been working on an aria from Marriage of Figaro by Mozart. It's called "Deh Vieni Non Tardar" and it belongs to the character of Susanna, the main female character of the opera. This is the second opera piece I've ever done, and it's an amazing fit for my voice! Susanna is a role for a voice type known as a "soubrette," which is the lightest type of soprano voice. I have a very, very light voice, so this song has been a wonderful fit for me.

And on the complete opposite side of the singing spectrum, I'm also working on "A Whole New World" from Aladdin. I realized recently that Jasmine has a very high and light voice- higher than other Disney princesses, more of a soprano voice than the midrange mixed-belt style of most of the other Disney princesses.

I have a lot, lot more I could say about all this. But I want to know if there's interest in discussing it more. So if you're interested in hearing more about this music and discussing it here, please tell me!
 
And on the singing front, I've been working on an aria from Marriage of Figaro by Mozart. It's called "Deh Vieni Non Tardar" and it belongs to the character of Susanna, the main female character of the opera. This is the second opera piece I've ever done, and it's an amazing fit for my voice! Susanna is a role for a voice type known as a "soubrette," which is the lightest type of soprano voice. I have a very, very light voice, so this song has been a wonderful fit for me.
NO WAY!! 😃 I recently began working on "Deh Vieni, Non Tardar" in my voice lessons too!! I agree, it is a lovely song to work on. My voice teacher sang this (along with "Mien Herr Marquis", which I've also been learning) for a recital long ago and won awards for her performance, so she was excited when we found the music for the song over the summer. With my mezzo soprano voice it contains a richer quality, but the song fits well within my range.

And on the complete opposite side of the singing spectrum, I'm also working on "A Whole New World" from Aladdin. I realized recently that Jasmine has a very high and light voice- higher than other Disney princesses, more of a soprano voice than the midrange mixed-belt style of most of the other Disney princesses.
A great choice, too!
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top