• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

What chapter was it where Frodo tried to 💀kill Sam

herlig9

Active Member
Joined
Feb 8, 2021
Messages
804
I remember reading it in the book long ago. The betrayal part never happend in the book (Yknow the bread scene), they both met the spider. Now as for the quarrel itself. I am unsure whether it was in the Tower where Sam saved Frodo. Or whether it was later on disguised as Orc where they quarreled and ended in a bad fight. But that they got a hold of themselves.
 
Update: After rereading the relevant part, I see what I should have said is that he saw Sam as an orc only when Sam offered to carry the Ring for him, not before.

There's an interesting parallel here with the earlier scene with Frodo and Boromir, and expressed in almost exactly the same words:

Boromir:
He rose and passed his hand over his eyes, dashing away the tears. 'What have I said?' he cried. 'What have I done?'
Frodo:
A mist seemed to clear from his eyes, and he passed his hand over his aching brow [. . .] 'O Sam!' cried Frodo. 'What have I said? What have I done?'

Unfortunately -- or perhaps fortunately -- Frodo wasn't there to hear Boromir regaining his senses.
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top