• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

What character DID PJ do right, in your eyes?

What character DID PJ do right, in your eyes?

  • Gandalf

    Votes: 28 45.2%
  • Éowyn

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Éomer

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Legolas

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Gollum

    Votes: 11 17.7%
  • Sam

    Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Bilbo

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Boromir

    Votes: 9 14.5%
  • Galadriel

    Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Saruman

    Votes: 5 8.1%

  • Total voters
    62
I think Saruman is done perfectly... And I think a lot of that is probably due to Christopher Lee... Given the ability to make multiple choices, though, I would also have chosen Bilbo, Gandalf, and Boromir...
 
....we all will have different view on each charcater .....however i loved all of them........all were prefect...born to play the parts......

Merry and Pippin were perfect... Sean Bean is amazing......and Gandalf was brilliant.. all of them where great....
 
Last edited:
Originally posted by MrFrodo
Merry and Pippin were prefect....Sean Bean is amazing
I wouldn't think much of any school which would make slap-stick comedians M&P into prefects -
but then maybe US schools don't have prefects.
If amazing means good, I agree.
 
The problem with Saruman is that the screen writers make him totally to be Sauron's lackey and servant. The book is quite a bit different. In the movie we hear Saruman saying, "No one will be able to stand up to Sauron and Saruman", and "Together we will rule Middle Earth, Lord Sauron", which is a load of bologna. Yes, Christopher Lee played his part well, but Saruman was done poorly IMO.

Here is another FAD argument laid waste about Saruman eventually revealing himself to end up double crossing Sauron. Every FAD justified Saruman's allegiance by this view. I guess with him totally being cut out that is a done deal.

Originally posted by Mr.Frodo
Merry and Pippin were perfect... Sean Bean is amazing......and Gandalf was brilliant.. all of them where great....
Oy! Other than Arwen in FoTR, M&P are the most poorly done characters from the book (for sure Pippin). I do agree that Sean Bean is amazing (even in the flashbacks of the TTT EE.

Now that I've seen it all up to this point, I have to say that Legolas has been the most consistently portrayed character from the books. Gandalf plays a close second (other than the sputtering fool and head bumping moron from FoTR scenes)
 
A very neat summing up: Lee excellent, PJ's Saruman absurd, is my equivalent.
And now Lee, one PJ's most vocal defenders, despite, or maybe because of his part, is demolished altogether - now tell me PJ is not incompetent.
Horse-swinging, shield-surfing, and now the very nasty dead-orc-shooting - are those the book's Legolas? Aren't those as bad as Gandalf's early FOTR absurdity which you so rightly dislike?
I agree generally though, Orlando and PJ's Legolas are pretty high on the quality list.
 
Not necessarily. There wasn't too much mentioned about what Legolas could or could not do. Unlike Gandalf and Arwen whose characters were set out a specific way (and in the case of Gandalf, specifically mentioned by Tolkien himself to act and behave a certain way) a lot more liberties could be taken with Legolas. Arwen was written a certain way and for the most part (especially in TTT) PJ kept her that way and it worked. Swinging a sword, challenging the ringwraiths and fighting at Helm's Deep (which was originally filmed) were not character traits that Tolkien had in mind, I'm sure. Tolkien said that Gandalf was ALWAY in control, not sputtering or babbling. What do we have? "IS IT HERE?? IS IT SAFE? YOU MUST NOT USE IT!!!" and "YOU CANNOT PAAAAAAAASSS!!!!! Totally against the Gandalf of Tolkien.

Yes, the horse swinging and shield surfing were added for dramatic effect but that didn't take away from or change the character of Legolas. Despite seeming a little absurd, I've no doubt that if Legolas can walk on snow and see minute details for miles, he could jump on a horse very nimbly. The shooting between the legs of Gimli was out of place and unwarranted, true, but Legolas' character is still intact.
Originally quoted by Mr.FrodoWhat film were you watching...?????
I was watching the film where Pippin is so mindless and childish that he comes into the Council of Elrond and commits himself to a dangerous quest and then says, "So, where are we going again?" basically showing that he has no clue why he is there. After all they just stumbled onto Sam and Frodo in the fields why stealing vegetables, and got 'caught up' in the journey, for Pete's sake!

The book Pippin, though impulsive, joins Frodo out of loyalty from the very beginning, to remain true to his side despite the consequences, knowing all along (at least from the Council of Elrond) that he is going to Mordor. A big difference. The idiotic movie Pippin remains in this character throughout the rest of the two movies without any growth that we see in the books. What movies were YOU watching?
 
Every now and then I like to pick apart a purist post (especially an unabashed purist post). It keeps the purists honest, and makes me smile.
Oh Dear! Where to begin on this one?

Hmm, I don't know precisely what Tolkien had in mind, but I do know that he specifically said that Arwen was 'like Luthien' in character. Luthien challenged baddies that were a whole lot worse than Ringwraiths.
As far as what was filmed vs. what was shown, should we judge Tolkien by the same standard?
I am quite sure Tolkien never said "Gandalf was always in control". How that bears on what Gandalf says when facing the Balrog is beyond me, but perhaps a comparison of book and fiilm would be useful. The Script Lines you complain about:
Book Lines which (I assume) served as inspiration: I'll have to guess it's the delivery (More Sir Ian's fault than PJ's, I should think) that bothered you. In the case of "Keep it Secret, Keep it Safe" I'll borrow from another member in reminding you that Gandalf has just left the most appallingly powerful artifact in Middle-earth in the hands of a Hobbit, and he has reason to believe that the enemy is on the move to reclaim it. I'm sure you would prefer that Gandalf mention these facts to Frodo over scones and a spot of tea, but somehow that's not what I expect Tolkien had in mind when he said "Gandalf, please, should not sputter"


Ah, right! And what singular significant action does book-Pippin perform before staring into the Palantir, forcing Gandalf to ride off and abandon Aragorn and the Rohirrim? Why, "tossing the stone into the well which led to the death of Gandalf, a necessary act for Gandalf the Grey to become Gandalf the White." Ah yes, I should have thought of that one. At least Pippin in the movie get's to trick Treebeard, thereby impacting the story in a positive way.
 
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Thorin
The idiotic movie Pippin remains in this character throughout the rest of the two movies without any growth that we see in the books. What movies were YOU watching?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought there was some good growth......from the very young Pippin to a much older.....and much bolder ....ecaping from the orcs......treebead.,.....there is lots of growth.....

And maybe Pippins part in the movies has been altered.....it still doesnt change in my mind to the fact Billy Boyd protrays Pippin as i imagined...and also Merry ....Dominic Monaghan..

To be honest....all the characters to me couldnt get any closer...they just look and feel the part....However....i admit that i only read Lord of the Rings (i have read it twice as well....since then and the hobbit, just try to get more respect) after seeing the movie...so my imagination would have already had its ideas of what the characters would be like from the film.

In which case.....my opinion....is not a solid ...compare to alot of you guys and girls on here.
 
Ok, although I voted for Gandalf, I think the real score lies within the ability of the actor chosen to portray the character.

Gandalf was great because of Sir Ian Mckellen, Saruman was ok, because of Chris Lee. And so on and so forth.

Don't you agree?
 
As to Pippin: Tolkien wrote rather extensively about Pippin who was very immature and who did things that often caused great harm not because he was evil but because he had not sufficient maturity to govern his own actions. In fact, he did the first thing that came into his head without giving the matter enough thought to recognize the consequences of his actions. Indeed, in the matter of the palantir, Pippin comes perilously close to "blowing" the whole plan! It is not for nothing that Gandalf decides to keep him under his eye while the palantir goes off with Aragorn.

It is not Pippin's "immaturity" that bothered me in Jackson's version of the film, but rather that there was no real courage and commitment in the action of either hobbit in the beginning. In the book (sorry about that), both Pippin and Merry choose to follow Frodo into exile to give him assistance and support. In the film, they are simply carried away by the moment after being in the wrong place at the wrong time. So both hobbits at least start at a superior moral level in the book than they do in the films. In the former they are tried and true friends, in the latter they are sneak-thieves and scapegraces.
 
I'd have to say Sam. Sean Astin portrayed him so well, in TTT you couldn't help but cry when he gives Frodo that beautiful speech in Gondor, and his performance in ROTK was amazing. Actually all the hobbits were portrayed as I thought theyy would be Gandalf also
 
I would say that Gandalf was the best out of all of them. And the differences in the movies from the books did bother me some.

But I also realize, no matter what, a movie is never going to be a replica of the book. I take notice what they did wrong, but I also try to enjoy the movie for what it is.
 
I think Sam, Golum, Frodo, and Gandalf were the PERFECT.

Bilbo, Gimli, and if I must say the evil name-Legolas were worthy of recognition.

And with the exception of Farimir and Arwen, all the rest were acceptable.

I hated the way PJ made Farimir out to wan the ring in TTT. He did better in ROTK.

As for Arwen...WHAT THE HECK WAS HE THINKING!!!!! The way...the thing he did....ahhh! I cant even say it! It was really bad!!!!!!!
 
I wish you could have chosen more than one, but I chose Gandalf. I also would have, if the poll allowed it, chosen Sam, Gollum, and Wormtongue.

Gandalf was protrayed very well; he was old weary look about him, yet he was strong.
Wormtongue, slimy, bead-eyed ughh. Yeah I could see that, and I didn't want to, so he did good
Sam, loyal Sam.
Gollum, gangled creature; lier, murder, deceiver.
 
My votes would be:
Gandalf - except the Gandalf vs.Denethor stick fight, Gandalf is exactly how I imagined him
Gollum - except he should be black, he's behaviour is perfect (although I'm not sure if he's so clever to stir Frodo and Sam - well, maybe he is)
Grima - Wormtongue - as in my head
Sam - our beloved, loyal Sam. SA did a great job
Pippin - after RotK I liked Pippin very much. Maybe he's not exactly as in the books, but I don't care...
 
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…