Every now and then I like to pick apart a purist post (
especially an unabashed purist post). It keeps the purists honest, and makes me smile.
Oh Dear! Where to begin on this one?
Originally posted by Thorin
Swinging a sword, challenging the ringwraiths and fighting at Helm's Deep (which was originally filmed) were not character traits that Tolkien had in mind, I'm sure.
Hmm, I don't know precisely what Tolkien had in mind, but I do know that he specifically said that
Arwen was 'like
Luthien' in character. Luthien challenged baddies that were a whole lot worse than Ringwraiths.
As far as what was filmed vs. what was shown, should we judge Tolkien by the same standard?
AAaarg! Why did Tolkien name his King "Trotter"? Why did
Gandalf fight Nazgul-Saruman in
Moria? Why would Gandalf (who does not sputter) be 'sniffing' around
the Shire to find Bingo (read '
Frodo') when the latter is wearing
the Ring? Best of all, why would
Gollum purposefully dive into the Cracks of Doom with the Ring? What a load of tripe!!
Originally posted by Thorin
Tolkien said that Gandalf was ALWAY in control, not sputtering or babbling. What do we have? "IS IT HERE?? IS IT SAFE? YOU MUST NOT USE IT!!!" and "YOU CANNOT PAAAAAAAASSS!!!!! Totally against the Gandalf of Tolkien.
I am quite sure Tolkien never said "Gandalf was always in control". How that bears on what Gandalf says when facing the
Balrog is beyond me, but perhaps a comparison of book and fiilm would be useful. The Script Lines you complain about:
Is it safe? Never put it on! The servants of the
Dark Lord will be drawn to its power.
...
You cannot pass.
I am a servant of the secret fire, wielder of the
flame of Anor! Dark fire shall not avail you,
flame of Udun! Go back to the shadow! You shall not pass!
Book Lines which (I assume) served as inspiration:
Do NOT use It again, not far any reason whatever! Do not
travel by night!
`You cannot pass,' he said. `I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you,
flame of Udûn. Go back to the Shadow! You cannot pass.' ... 'You cannot pass! ' he said.
I'll have to guess it's the delivery (More Sir Ian's fault than PJ's, I should think) that bothered you. In the case of "Keep it Secret, Keep it Safe" I'll borrow from another member in reminding you that Gandalf has just left the most appallingly powerful artifact in
Middle-earth in the hands of a
Hobbit, and he has reason to believe that the enemy is on the move to reclaim it. I'm sure you would prefer that Gandalf mention these facts to Frodo over scones and a spot of tea, but somehow that's not what I expect Tolkien had in mind when he said "Gandalf, please, should not sputter"
Originally posted by Thorin
The idiotic movie Pippin remains in this character throughout the rest of the two movies without any growth that we see in the books. What movies were YOU watching?
Ah, right! And what singular significant action does book-Pippin perform before staring into the
Palantir, forcing Gandalf to ride off and abandon
Aragorn and the
Rohirrim? Why, "tossing the stone into the well which led to the death of Gandalf, a necessary act for
Gandalf the Grey to become Gandalf
the White." Ah yes, I should have thought of that one. At least Pippin in the movie get's to trick
Treebeard, thereby impacting the story in a positive way.