• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

what is the best race in lotr

what is the best race in lotr

  • elves

    Votes: 14 53.8%
  • men

    Votes: 2 7.7%
  • hobbits

    Votes: 3 11.5%
  • wizards

    Votes: 3 11.5%
  • dwarves

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • orcs / nazgul

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    26
I would love to answer, but I'm a litle unclear as to the meaning of the question. The best race? What does this mean, exactly?
The most sophisticated? The most interesting? The most determined? The most strong-willed? The most skilful? Or just plain 'coolest'?
 
They might have ever helped someone that is very respectable but that no one knows was saved by orcs.Why shouldn't we like them?

Why shouldn't you like evil creatures? Becuase we should not delight in evil. Evil is the opposite of what God is and to love evil is to turn away from God. Love does not delight in evil says 1 Corinithians 13.

~Ariana
 
I voted for Hobbits because I feel that they are the most innocent and least troubled by things around them. They are like children and so always happy.

Elves, dwarfs, wizards and all the bad peoples on ME are always worried about something or the other. So never happy.
 
As a whole elves are the best race,IMHO of course.But having in mind the question is about LOTR and concerns only LOTR,I should say hobbits are the best race.
 
yea but each race is as good as the other, u know what i mean.
 
clearly men especially the dunadan coz they have long lives and wehn they tire of the world after a few hundred years they die and start another adventure, plus they are powerful fighters and for the most part loyal and sival
 
I'm not a big fan of elves. The get all the special treatment. Only they have the choice of going across the sea, only they are beautiful, etc. They are never humble and they look down on men. That just my opinion, I know the races are all of equal worth. But I like the hobbits. They are so easy-going and childish. I think they'd make much better companions than elves (who are kind of scary, in a good/bad way) or men (who are pretty tempremental) or wizards (too important for me) and dwarves are kind of rough. I don't not like any of the races, I just like some more than others. Hobbits are my favorite and elves are my least favorite.
 
but why shouldnt they they are the wisest powerfulest and they have to stay on crummy old earth while men/hobbits (i think) go to some kick butt place with illuvatar (not sure on dwarves, don't they go to the halls of waiting in Valinor? which sux aswell)

Celeb
 
I would have to say Men. Dwarves are also awesome. I don't really like the Elves because they're so proud of their skill and beauty. It's not wrong to be beautiful and skilled, but to take pride in it...
 
This is another one of those threads that's been around for a while and been resurrected.
I voted for elves of course. I am an elf, and to me their race is superior to all.
But I'd also like to put in a few words for the men, dwarves, and the hobbits, and yes, even the orcs.

First of all I don't think Wizards should be on the poll at all. As wizards were basically Maia and that's not really a race now is it? They were sort of demi-gods and that's really not fair to compare them to the "real" races of ME.

I also don't think the Nazgul should be part of the poll because the Nazgul were once men, and are now more shadow creatures than anything else.
Plus there's only 9...and they're just not really a race either.

The men I think we tend to dismiss quite often, at least I do, because I've got a silly "been there done that" attitude about them. (No snickers! No double entendre intended! And no jokes about orcs please!) I mean, IRL we are all men (or of the race of men at least, for all us women out there) and it's easy to kind of say, "Eh. Boring! I know all about men I want to read about the exciting OTHER races." But we have to realise that men (And the meek apparently ) will inherit Middle Earth after all is said and done.

Hobbits as well are easy for me to overlook because they're little and hairy. I know that sounds weird but to me, despite proof otherwise, the hobbits have never seemed to be such a noble race. I mean, they eat, and smoke, and stuff. Go hobbits. But with the exception of a rare few (Bilbo and the hobbits in The Fellowship) they really don't do much of anything ever. (Although sometimes they stab!) But they really are quite loyal creatures, and most of them are just like Sam. And I hate Sam. But I realise that their loyalty and their devotion to their friends and family is a good trait to have. To me the hobbits embody all the traits that I believe Tolkien wished he could see in man. The men in LotR are almost exactly like the men IRL. But the hobbits seemed to be, at least morally and behaviorally most like an ideal person would be. They were peaceful (no murders in The Shire in like, forever, right?) and they were settled and they raised families and lived their lives in basic harmony with one another. Sure there was an occasional bad seed (Sackville-Bagginses anyone?) but for the most part even they weren't BAD, just not polite. (Like Lobelia after getting out of jail) I think that if we all tried to be a little more Hobbit-Like the world might just be a better place.

Dwarves too have their good sides, although I'm not a big fan of Dwarves, I recognize their finer points. They're quite violent. That's always nice. By this I mean they're good fighters and they're definitely someone you'd want on your side in a battle. They're strong and stout-hearted. Plus they're quite private, quiet, secretive creatures. Some spend their whole lives without ever leaving their mountain mines. You have to admire that sort of mindset because they're quite devoted to their families and their way of life. They've got strong kinship ties and furthermore they're good for keeping secrets. All in all, they're strong, stout-hearted, loyal, and good at battle. Pretty admirable if you ask me.

Orcs. Yes. I'm going to try and defend Orcs. Sure they get a bad rap all the time what with all the raping, and murdering, and pillaging they tend to perpetrate, but in my opninion they're not inherently evil. (See my post in the "Orcs: Inherently Evil?" thread.) They've been corrupted, and so they're susceptible to suggestion and command by an evil lord, and they've been twisted enough that they seem to ENJOY those evil deeds, but they have loyalty to those of their own kind, and while it seems that they're not above fighting tooth and nail if the moment calls for it (Case in point the Shagrat-Snaga battle) for the most part they STAY loyal to their clans. (Saruman's Orcs, vs. mountain Orcs, vs. Mordor Orcs) And furthermore, when the time comes and Sauron is defeated and they have no evil ruler, they go and settle down quietly by that one lake in Mordor, and build villages and start families and leave everyone else alone. They're not evil! They've just been corrupted. I feel a little sorry for them that they're forced into a life of battle and crime and such. But when given the chance they show they're not as bad as they would like people to believe!

Alright...why I like Elves. First off I think that of all the "races" of ME Tolkien most loved his Elves and that comes across and transfers to his readers. It's hard to help loving Elves because Tolkien plays them up so much! They're the emodiment of grace, beauty, wisdom, serenity, intelligence, power, strength, and beauty. And while the Hobbits seem to embody a few traits that might make the world a better place if man were to posses them, the Elves simply ROLL in those traits! They're basically a Utopian representation of man. If the world were perfect we'd all be like Elves, and live in peace and beauty forever and ever. They've got all the coolest traits! Even if you leave magic out they can still walk (or "nance" in Legolas's case) on snow, see at great distances, and be generally awesome pretty much all the time!
But what really got me is they've got the pointy ears. And who doesn't love pointy ears?
 
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…