• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

What is the true fate of the Entwives?

Where do you think the entwives could be?

  • Killed by Sauron

    Votes: 12 34.3%
  • Killed by Saruman

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Killed by other

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • South East near khand and Mordor or further east

    Votes: 2 5.7%
  • South West near gondor and rohan

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • North East near Iron hills and Sea of Rhun.

    Votes: 4 11.4%
  • North West Shire 2 Forlindon down to Lond Dear

    Votes: 14 40.0%
  • Central Lorien , Moria gladden fields

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    35
What is Hal?

Rather, who is Hal:


From the beginning of The Shadow of the Past,
 
sorry to take thisnthread off track slightly but i was just wondering about the origins of trolls. i mean after the first born and then the birth of men i'm pressuming that trolls weren't created by eru. so who were they created by ? ithrynluin you said that trolls were mockeries of dwarves ?
 
No,I said trolls are mockeries of ents.
No evil creature was created by Eru...orcs,trolls - they were all perverted and corrupted by the dark power. The former were elves and the latter ents.

From The Two Towers, Chapter 4: Treebeard
 
Originally posted by Celebthôl
i wondered that same thing but Tree beard knows of the old forest, and so therefore knew that there were no Entwives there.

Thôl

but listen to what Treebeard has to say of that very matter:


So Treebeard would chirp in that that may have been an entwife and he doesnt know if there are any up there.
 
Gil,you are asking why Sauron would destroy the Entwives and create the Olog-hai? I think that is self-explanatory really. Destroy a potential enemy and create more minions to serve your own cause. Simple as that.

This quote from "The Shadow of the Past" should clarify:

We can apply the same things for ents as well,and for any other people.
Sauron would much rather see the free,good peoples of ME enslaved or destroyed than roaming free and possibly resisting him.
 
I think he wasn't so stupid do destroy only the entwives.No matter where they live I doubt he would do such thing.Ents have enough power to revenge Sauron if he destroy them.
Probably Sauron would take some entwives to mordor and create the trolls but he wouldn't dare to kill of them.
Well,I think I want this to be so,cause I really don't like the idea of the destruction of entwives by Sauron.
 
So the ents would destroy Sauron if he killed some, but they would just leave Sauron alone if he took some captive and did evil things to them?
I know you really don't want it to be that Sauron destroyed entwives, but wouldn't turning them into trolls be destruction of entwives?
 
Sauron would be destroying both ents and entwives if he destroyed one or the other. No entwives, no new ents. Eventually the ents would die out.
 

Hmm....Are Ents mortal?
And there is no definite answer that the Entwives' sole dwelling were the Brown Lands.
 
I think that the 'other origins' that are here alluded to are seen further in HoME v. 12 (which I don't have access to for quotes right now), where Tolkien implies they might be derived from primitive human-ish stock. My own private theory (viewable in U vs U-h) is that trolls and men could be cross-bred, producing both the Olog-hai and those enigmatic half-trolls of Far Harad.

As for the Entwives and Hal's vision, these have been discussed previously in this thread
 
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…