Yeah, Radagast reminds me of Beavis on his way to save Butt-head from choking to death, but forgets about him when he spots some nachos (birds in Radagast's case). "Um...hahahahahahahahaha...um...hahah...ah...um...hahahaha...um..ah, oh yeah, um, Saruman wants you, um...hahaha...or...um, something like that, um...ah....hahahaha."
As far as I can tell Radagast was oblivious to the ring's reappearance
And who among the maiar have we seen to fall under spell like you suggest at sight of the ring? Gandalf saw it plenty of times and I'm pretty sure he's the only maia we see with the ring (other than Sauron of course) so I don't see any textual backup
I think it's also worth noting that the Istari were bound to their human-like forms and perhaps that affects their temptation. The only other Maia we see coming in contact with the ring is Sauron, who really doesn't count because 1.) he made it and 2.) was an evil dude from way back when he served Morgoth
I don't think Tom is Maia but I still don't have any proof
That the Ring had no effect on Tom is only noteworthy when it is put into the context that Tom knew exactly what he was dealing with. Certainly, considering the effect of the One Ring (and the lesser rings) on the other races of Arda, his reaction has to be considered anomalous. That gives credence to the idea that he is not, in fact, a Maia.
At any rate he was too large and heavy for a hobbit, if not quite tall enough for one of the Big People
I don't understand the logic in any of that, respectfully[/I]
If anything, this for me confirms that Tom is a Maia - what else can he be? He is clearly not an Elf, as he does not count himself among them. He is not a Man, as he 'made paths before the Big People'. He is not an Ent, which are the eldest living things created by Yavanna. He is not a Vala, as they are all named and accounted for.'Don't you know my name yet? That's the only answer. Tell me, who are you, alone, yourself and nameless? But you are young and I am old. Eldest, that's what I am. Mark my words, my friends: Tom was here before the river and the trees; Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn. He made paths before the Big People, and saw the little People arriving. He was here before the Kings and the graves and the Barrow-wights. When the Elves passed westward, Tom was here already, before the seas were bent. He knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless - before the Dark Lord came from Outside.'
Tom said:'Don't you know my name yet? That's the only answer. Tell me, who are you, alone, yourself and nameless? But you are young and I am old. Eldest, that's what I am. Mark my words, my friends: Tom was here before the river and the trees; Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn. He made paths before the Big People, and saw the little People arriving. He was here before the Kings and the graves and the Barrow-wights. When the Elves passed westward, Tom was here already, before the seas were bent. He knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless - before the Dark Lord came from Outside.'
Of the choices given, I'd go with nature spirit, since Tolkien intended Tom to be "the spirit of the shrinking forests of Oxford" in his earliest incarnation. There are in fact lots of personalities in Middle earth who's origins aren't clear, and who don't fall into neat categories. Ungoliant is said to be the personification of night. Cruel Caradhras is written as if it has a malevolent spirit of its own, far older than Sauron, at least. On the nicer side you've got Tom, and of course you've got Goldberry, the river woman's daughter, so I'm guessing there's a river woman too.
But he might be speaking about Middle-Earth instead of Eä. And Middle-earth was first created, then filled with forests and rivers, etc, and then Melkor appeared as a Dark Lord or a destructor. So maybe he could be a Maia that established himself in Middle-Earth right after its creation, though we could just especulate on what he did during the first battle against Melkor, which wouldn't have been a nice scenario to live, actually.By "Dark Lord" we can presume he means Sauron, a Maia (though it would make no difference if he meant Morgoth). Generally speaking, the Maiar arrived in Eä at the same time as the Valar. If Bombadil predates Sauron--a Maia--then he predates all Maiar and Valar. I can come to no conclusion from that--and from his behavior in regards to the Ring--except that he is a direct product of the Ainulindalë.
EDIT: It's hard to believe I first posted on this thread nine years ago.
The essence of some of the letters : (...but please, do read them, in their full, yourselves...)
c.f. posts #189ff ;*)
...sometimes it makes sense, reading a thread, before answering to it...
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Are you happy to accept cookies and these technologies?
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Are you happy to accept cookies and these technologies?