• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

What IS Tom Bombadil?

What do you think Tom Bombadil was?

  • Vala..

    Votes: 25 13.2%
  • Maia..

    Votes: 41 21.6%
  • Nature/Earth Spirit..

    Votes: 85 44.7%
  • Other.. (Post your view below)

    Votes: 39 20.5%

  • Total voters
    190
Mike, that is a very interesting idea. It would be a good way for Iluvatar to keep an eye on what is happening on Arda without interfering too much.
 
Now here's a question, what is Goldberry? She is the river-daughter, but what species would that be???
 
While I agree that it would be nice to imagine Tom Bombadil as Iluvatar keeping tabs on his creation, Tom remains a remarkably poor selection for the job. Tom cared only for his very small realm of power, and would not leave it and cared for little or nothing of what was beyond it. He strikes me asas a self-serving and rather minor maia.
 
You say that he only cared about himself and his little territory?

FotR 123-124

So, he frequently recieved news of the outside world...He didn't get the news from the trees themselves because, FotR 127-128
These trees were evil, and Tom was good, so they wouldn't tell him...The only other living thing he speaks about in the forest are Barrow Wights, and they would never tell him, or speak to him.

To re-enforce that he could be Iluvatar: FotR 122
And, I don't believe that anything ever says exactly what the boundaries of his land (well I can't really say his land after the above quote) are.
 
Mike B:

Sure, Tom got information about the outside world, and we know he had a fairly good relationship with Farmer Maggot. But I disagree with you about the significance of his hearing about things outside of his narrowly defined domain. He wouldn't escort Frodo beyond those borders despite knowing the enormity of Frodo's task and the dangers being faced. At the Council of Elrond Gandalf explicitly stated that Bombadil would not take guardianship of the Ring unless he were begged by all the free peoples of the world. So I'm sticking with my suggestion that Bombadil was an insigificant - albeit goodhearted - Maia.

Iluvatar
 
Iluvatar,

At the momment I have an open mind on this idea of Mike's. But I have a couple of points to make.

You Said:
"While I agree that it would be nice to imagine Tom Bombadil as Iluvatar keeping tabs on his creation, Tom remains a remarkably poor selection for the job. Tom cared only for his very small realm of power, and would not leave it and cared for little or nothing of what was beyond it. He strikes me asas a self-serving and rather minor maia."

We do not know how much attention Tom paid to the 'outside' world and we do not know if Tom needed to leave his 'small realm' to gain information. What is so poor about this selection if you do not want to be bothered by others.

You also said:
"He wouldn't escort Frodo beyond those borders despite knowing the enormity of Frodo's task and the dangers being faced. At the Council of Elrond Gandalf explicitly stated that Bombadil would not take guardianship of the Ring unless he were begged by all the free peoples of the world. So I'm sticking with my suggestion that Bombadil was an insigificant - albeit goodhearted - Maia."

If Tom were Eru Iluvatar, then he would only intervene in Arda in gravest need when the task is beyond the abilities of those who live in Arda, as when he changed the shape of the world. So if his intent was just to watch the events in Middle-Earth then Tom Bombadil would be a perfect choice, no one would think he was anything special. Don't forget, the view of Eru about the results of Melkor's rebelion in the great song is somewhat different to the views of most of us.

I will give more thought to this view of Tom and look forward to seeing others answers to Mike and yourself.
 
And no, that dark lord is not Dengen....

The bolded items are things that indicate he may be Iluvatar. I'm not 100% sure (I tried to finish the Sil as quickly as possible), but if he was there before Melkor, in the first age, that would make him at least a Vala.
 
I still don't think he is Illuvatar.

This is just a thought I'm throwing out. What if Tom was placed upon Arda by Illuvatar or one of the Valar right after Arda was created, before there was plants and etc, to prepare it for growing things?
 
Mike B:

Maybe Tom was Iluvatar; maybe he was a Vala. You have good points, albeit ultimately not thoroughly convincing (to me at least). However, your logic suggesting that he must at least be a Vala if he was here before Melkor is faulty. My understanding is that the Maiar and the Valar both arrived on Ea at essentially the same time. While the Maiar were less powerful than the Valar they were not slaves of the Valar, and so Bombadil could have went to Arda very very early in Ea's history.

Iluvatar
 
Tolkien wrote:

"The One does not physically inhabit any part of Eä."

"There is no 'embodiement' of the creator anywhere in this story or Mythology."

Peter Hastings, citing the description of "he is", said that this seemed to imply Bombadil was God. Tolkien responded: "I really do think you are being too serious besides missing the point" Goldberry and Tom were referring rather to the mystery of names.

Tolkien wrote a lot about Bombadil in Letters actually, but didn't describe him as Vala or Maia either ~ but a purposed "enigma" rather, which is good enough for me.

Spelled sideways (sorta) Bombadil's very name might reveal his true origin:
mad Bilbo!
 
I do not think that He is a nature spirit, I have some quotes i will get them later.
 
Many think that Tom Bombadill was a nature spirit because of the quotes:
LotR page 259
Power to defy our Enemy is not in him, unless such power is in the Earth itself.
LotR page 122
He is the Master of wood, water, and hill.
But what of this quote taken from the Silmarillion?
p.10 Now who would be the one that fits these descriptions? For me that would be Aule, but I do not deny that it might be someone else.
 
Now to the master of wood, water, and hill part. . .
Sil, page 20
Lastly there is the quote from LotR page 259:
And if he were given the Ring, he would soon forget it, or most likely throw it away. Such things have no hold on his mind.
This from the Sil(page 8) seems to describe Aule the same way:

There that is my opinion. But I do acknowledge that he may be someone else. It all just depends on what you research. If it was a definitive answer, then there would not be this thread.
 
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…