• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

What Middle-earth RPG Products Do You Possess

Gloranthan

Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2022
Messages
163
In the spirit of 'what Tolkien books y'all got' I present a list of Middle-earth RPG products I own.
A lot of people have a problem with Rolemaster (Chartmaster, Rollmaster), but I like crunchy RPGs. Other than all the charts, Rolemaster isn't any more complicated than most RPGs and MERP less than Rolemaster. But, admittedly, most of the time I play me some Middle-earth it's Burning Wheel or Mythras. I've heard good things about The One Ring RPG, but I have not yet picked it up. Part of the reason I have these modules is because they do a good job of filling in details which don't exist in Tolkien's works and, being an OCD nerd and RPG fan, I really need a map of Umbar and population stats for Rhovanian.

Updated 12/12/22: I was at the storage unit and popped open the MERP/Rolemaster box by coincidence, and decided to add the Rolemaster books to this list, as Rolemaster can be used with a MERP Companion to play instead of the (less complicated) MERP. I used to have some Rolemaster 1e/2e books, but long since traded them in for the newer editions. The formatting alone is worth it. Rolemaster was kind of janky to start, but ICE improved a lot. I'm sad they're not allowed to MERP anymore. I have mostly a mix of 4th edition, RMSS, RMFRP and some 2e or 3e (I can't remember which).

MERP
Rolemaster
  • Rolemaster Fantasy Role Playing (1999 edition)
  • Rolemaster Arms Law (4th Edition, Revised)
  • War Law
  • Middle-earth Sourcebook (RMSS/RMFRP, 2001)
  • Mentalism Companion (4th Edition)
  • Gamemaster Law (Revised/Reprint of Campaign Law)
  • Rolemaster Spell Law Unified
  • Fire and Ice: The Elemental Companion (2002), and the Addendum
  • Essence Companion (RMSS, 1997)
  • Castles & Ruins (RMSS)
  • Character Law (4th Edition, 1999)
Non-MERP
 
Last edited:
Too much to post at the moment, but an overview:

SPI's War of the Ring wargame from the 1970's. Not an RPG per se, but close since you get to run characters evading Nazgul, and it has the most awesome map of Middle-earth that I use for a lot of my role playing. I have a couple copies of this game and had one of the maps laminated so that it wouldn't get damaged when I use it at the table.

MERP by Iron Crown from the 1980's. Mostly the core rules and a couple of modules. The "Lords of Middle-earth" series of books is nice because it has both MERP and 3d6 stats so I can also use the characters with D&D.

Lord of the Rings Adventure Game, also by Iron Crown. A simplified version of MERP.

Decipher's Lord of the Rings RPG, with movie stills from the Peter Jackson movie trilogy. I had a bunch of this stuff (including their Adventure Game) and sold most of it, keeping only the core rules and the maps. (I also like maps a lot.) A decent enough system, but uses 2d6 resolution and I feel like that's sort of limiting.

The One Ring RPG. I have the original boxed set and sourcebooks from Cubicle-7 way back, plus new TOR 2E material from the 2022 kickstart through Free League. I haven't played a lot of this game, but the feel is very Tolkien and I had to keep 1E once Free League started 2E.

Adventures in Middle-earth for 5E D&D. Probably my favorite of the group, I have all of the sourcebooks that Cubicle-7 put out and am now excited that Free League is working on their own 5E verison.
 
The One Ring 2nd edition RPG (Its the only RPG I have so I don't really have any experience in such things). But I quite like it.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top