Gloranthan
Member
- Joined
- Dec 4, 2022
- Messages
- 163
In the spirit of 'what Tolkien books y'all got' I present a list of Middle-earth RPG products I own.
A lot of people have a problem with Rolemaster (Chartmaster, Rollmaster), but I like crunchy RPGs. Other than all the charts, Rolemaster isn't any more complicated than most RPGs and MERP less than Rolemaster. But, admittedly, most of the time I play me some Middle-earth it's Burning Wheel or Mythras. I've heard good things about The One Ring RPG, but I have not yet picked it up. Part of the reason I have these modules is because they do a good job of filling in details which don't exist in Tolkien's works and, being an OCD nerd and RPG fan, I really need a map of Umbar and population stats for Rhovanian.
Updated 12/12/22: I was at the storage unit and popped open the MERP/Rolemaster box by coincidence, and decided to add the Rolemaster books to this list, as Rolemaster can be used with a MERP Companion to play instead of the (less complicated) MERP. I used to have some Rolemaster 1e/2e books, but long since traded them in for the newer editions. The formatting alone is worth it. Rolemaster was kind of janky to start, but ICE improved a lot. I'm sad they're not allowed to MERP anymore. I have mostly a mix of 4th edition, RMSS, RMFRP and some 2e or 3e (I can't remember which).
MERP
A lot of people have a problem with Rolemaster (Chartmaster, Rollmaster), but I like crunchy RPGs. Other than all the charts, Rolemaster isn't any more complicated than most RPGs and MERP less than Rolemaster. But, admittedly, most of the time I play me some Middle-earth it's Burning Wheel or Mythras. I've heard good things about The One Ring RPG, but I have not yet picked it up. Part of the reason I have these modules is because they do a good job of filling in details which don't exist in Tolkien's works and, being an OCD nerd and RPG fan, I really need a map of Umbar and population stats for Rhovanian.
Updated 12/12/22: I was at the storage unit and popped open the MERP/Rolemaster box by coincidence, and decided to add the Rolemaster books to this list, as Rolemaster can be used with a MERP Companion to play instead of the (less complicated) MERP. I used to have some Rolemaster 1e/2e books, but long since traded them in for the newer editions. The formatting alone is worth it. Rolemaster was kind of janky to start, but ICE improved a lot. I'm sad they're not allowed to MERP anymore. I have mostly a mix of 4th edition, RMSS, RMFRP and some 2e or 3e (I can't remember which).
MERP
- Angmar
- Brigands of Mirkwood
- Dark Mage of Rhudaur
- Elves
- Gates of Mordor
- Gorgoroth
- Greater Harad
- The Inland Sea a fan-made module from Yahoo Groups, the author of which got permission from MERP artists, and very well done. This is the heart of my Rhun campaigns.
- Middle Earth Role Playing 2nd Edition (Collector's Edition)
- Minas Tirith
- Mirkwood 2nd Edition
- Mirkwood: The Wilds of Rhovanion
- The Necromancer's Lieutenant
- Northern Mirkwood: The Wood-elves Realm
- The Northern Waste
- Perils on the Sea of Rhun
- Umbar: Haven of the Corsairs
- Valar & Maiar: The Immortal Powers
- Warlords of the Desert
- Rolemaster Fantasy Role Playing (1999 edition)
- Rolemaster Arms Law (4th Edition, Revised)
- War Law
- Middle-earth Sourcebook (RMSS/RMFRP, 2001)
- Mentalism Companion (4th Edition)
- Gamemaster Law (Revised/Reprint of Campaign Law)
- Rolemaster Spell Law Unified
- Fire and Ice: The Elemental Companion (2002), and the Addendum
- Essence Companion (RMSS, 1997)
- Castles & Ruins (RMSS)
- Character Law (4th Edition, 1999)
- Maps of Middle-earth for The Lord of the Rings Roleplaying Game, because I like maps.
Last edited:
