• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

What prompted 🧙Gandalf to seek an audience with Tom Bombadil?

Or why Tom didn't.
6lyca2.jpg
 
Tis' true. Not long talks. I do wonder what they might have spoken of.

Umnhhh... according to Gandalf, they were to be the longest talk of all his time.

‘But if you would know, I am turning aside soon. I am going to have a long talk with Bombadil: such a talk as I have not had in all my time. He is a moss-gatherer, and I have been a stone doomed to rolling. But my rolling days are ending, and now we shall have much to say to one another.’
Tolkien, J.R.R.. The Lord of the Rings: One Volume (p. 996). HMH Books. Kindle Edition.

But considering Gandalf, that may not be saying much. Rather succinct, he tended to be..!!
 
Umnhhh... according to Gandalf, they were to be the longest talk of all his time.

‘But if you would know, I am turning aside soon. I am going to have a long talk with Bombadil: such a talk as I have not had in all my time. He is a moss-gatherer, and I have been a stone doomed to rolling. But my rolling days are ending, and now we shall have much to say to one another.’
Tolkien, J.R.R.. The Lord of the Rings: One Volume (p. 996). HMH Books. Kindle Edition.

But considering Gandalf, that may not be saying much. Rather succinct, he tended to be..!!
You must understand my context, @Well-aged Enting !

I was replying with agreement to one who stated that the talks previous messages speculated were not long, and therefore could not have been accurate guesses..

I am fully aware it shall be a long talk, and I very often question myself whether it may have taken the whole time of The Scouring of The Shire, and indeed also peaceful time, straight up to the Ring-bearers leaving Middle - Earth. Indeed, I would never believe that a short conversation would be a suitable assumption for the talk between Old Tom and Gandalf, yet again, the word long brings us to a matter of opinions.

What is considered a "long talk" in Gandalf's eyes?
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top