Arvedui
Stargazer
- Joined
- Aug 19, 2002
- Messages
- 1,960
I was reading through The Letters of JRR Tolkien, and #210 really got my mind into overdrive. Here are Tolkien's own commentaries on the proposed storyline for a cartoon-film. quite a lot of what Tolkien wrote in June 1958, is valid also 46 years later:
The letter Z stands for Zimmerman, who wanted to make a film of Lord of the Rings.If Z and/or others do so, they may be irritated or aggrieved by the tone of many of my criticisms. If so, I am sorry (though not surprised). But I would ask them to make an effort of imagination sufficient to understand the irritation (and on occation the resentment) of an author, who finds, increasingly as he proceeds, his work treated as it would seem carelessly in general, in places recklessly, and with no evident signs of any appreciation of what it is all about.
Exaggeration and intrusion of unwanted matter.... Does this ring a bell to anyone?The canons of narrative an in any medium cannot be wholly different; and the failure of poor films is often precisely in exaggeration, and in intrusion of unwanted matter owing to not perceiving where the core of the original lies.
This is still 1958, and not 2003, though one might wonder...He has cut the parts of the story upon which its characteristic and peculiar tone principally depends, showing a preference for fights;
Does anyone else but me think of Gimli right now?'Old scamp!' This is a good example of the general tendency that I find in Z to reduce and lower the tone towards that of a more childish fairy-tale.
Tolkien is here writing about Weathertop, and there is more:
There definately was one in the film that I saw...The Black Riders do not scream, but keep a more terrifying silence. Aragorn does not blanch. The riders draw slowly in on foot in darkness, and do not 'spur'. There is no fight.
Tolkien didn't know what would happen to his story some 28 - 30 years after his death. Luckily...Why has my account been entirely rewritten here, with disregard for the rest of the tale? I can see that there are certain difficulties in representing a dark scene; but they are not insuperable. A scene of gloom lit by a small red fire, with the Wraiths slowly approaching as darker shadows - until the moment when Frodo puts on the Ring, and the King steps forward revealed - would seem to me far more impressive than yet one more scene of screams and rather meaningless slashings.
Tolkien of course did not say anything about imitation of a jet-engine, so I guess that PJ was right here
So much for hope...I do earnestly hope that in the assignement of actual speeches to the characters they will be presented as I have presented them: in style and sentiment. I should resent pervertion of the characters (and do resent it, so far as it appears in this sketch) even more than the spoiling of the plot and the scenery.
Could someone please tell PJ what was the Prime Action, and what was Subsidiary?It almost seems as if Z, having spent much time and work on Pan I, now found himself short not only of space but of patience to deal with the two more difficult volumes in which the action becomes more fast and complicated. He has in any case elected to treat them in a way that produces a confusion that mounts at last almost to a delirium.... The narrative now divides into two main branches: 1. Prime Action, the Ringbearers. 2. Subsidiary Action, the rest of the company leading to the 'heroic' matter. It is essential that these two branches should each be treated in coherent sequence. Both to render them intelligible as a story, and because they are totally different in tone and scenery. Jumbling them together entirely destroys these things.
Tolkien is not the only one to regret this!
Are any comments really needed?I am afraid I do not find the glimpse of the 'defence of Hornburg' - this would be a better title, since Helm's Deep, the ravine behind is not shown - entirely satisfactory. It would, I guess, be a fairly meaningless scene in a picture, stuck in in this way. Actually I myself should be inclined to cut it right out if it cannot be made more coherent and a more significant part of the story. .... If both the Ents and the Hornburg cannot be treated at sufficient length to make sense, then one should go. It should be the Hornburg, which is incidental to the main story; and there would be this additional gain that we are going to have a big battle (of which as much should be made as possible), but battles tend to be too similar: the big one would gain by having no competitor.
I could be fair to PJ, and state some of the things that he got right, according to Tolkien, but on the whole, I don't think Mr. Jackson is worth it. Others who find the films to be the Eigth Wonder of the World will probably do so anyway.Z has cut out the end of the book, including Saruman's proper death. In that case I can see no good reason for making him die. Saruman would never have comitted suicide: to cling to life to its basest dregs is the way of the son of person he had become. If Z wants Saruman tidied up (I cannot see why, where so many threads are left loose) Gandalf should say something to this effect: as Saruman collapses under the excommunication: 'Since you will not come out and aid us, here in Orthanc you shall stay till you rot, Saruman. Let the Ents look to it!'

