• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

What's the story behind your avatar and forum name?



That's right -- this thread's overdue for a revival! We have a lot of new members since last it was seen.

I think I may have mentioned some time ago how, when I first started looking at Tolkien forums, I was somewhat taken aback by the rather grandiose usernames on display. There was once even an "Eru" here. 😮

When I finally got around to joining, I -- obviously -- went in a different direction. 😁

Now, how about yours?
 
Ealdwyn = old + pleasure/joy/delight
Because Tolkien is an old pleasure of mine, 40 years and counting.
I'm also one of the er.... *cough* more mature members of the forum (whether I'm a delight is for others to judge 😂 )

The picture is taken from the summit of Snowdon/Yr Wyddfa, a mountain in Wales, UK. It's one of my favourite mountains to climb.
 
I came up with this s/n for another board when the first Hobbit movie came out. It's a play on the name 'Radagast' with the word 'aghast' used to indicate my reaction to those movies and to PJ's treatment of Tolkien's works in general, and now the Amazong Rings of Power series.

My avatar is taken from the cover of a (now OOP) book I had as a child called The Devil's Hat (I think) with the heads of J. R. R. Tolkien and Peter Jackson Photoshopped on; the avatar has since been further modified.
 
Last edited:
I've always been curious about the bad guys, hence my user name and avatar. My favorite character in Paradise Lost?... yup.
 

My first encounter with Tolkien was through the movies and watching the two towers in the theater. When the ents attacked Isengard I was made then and there a Tolkien junky. So Treebeard has always been one of my favorite characters in Middle earth.
 
The Dúnedain have always intrigued me, as has the once-fallen kingdom of Arnor; traveling far back in time we reach a place where Rangers could appropriately be called Arnorian, and thus you have my username.

The big "A" was assigned to me upon landing here in this fair forum, I suppose to always remind me that Arnor stands proud once again...

Thanks,

ArnorianRanger
 
Well...about my username...just google it then, ehhh...OK, I like to destroy strong stuff, yeah, that's all. And about my avatar, it's a ad for my fan-fiction, it's Gondor battling the Harrad, and if anyone has taken a look at my fanfic and observe them in details, then you'll get it.
 
My name wasn't too hard I was reading through that part of sil while I was making my account and thought why not

The avatar for similar reasons I looked for images of ulfang and couldn't find any so I just took a cool picture of nirnaeth anoriad instead

I probably spelt a lot wrong
 
I always liked Gandalf as a character in the book, and thought Sir Ian McKellen just nailed the character perfectly, when PJ & Co.'s script allowed him to.
And I decided on combining two of his names into one. This came out as Gandolorin on two other sites, and I switched it around to Olorgando here.

And since I first went online in late 2013 and joined my first JRRT site, I've come to resemble my avatar more and more through "seasoning".
 
Melkor impressed me when I read the Silmarillion. I really like him in Ainulindalë, he really wasn't evil at that time. He just want to fill the void with his world, with his creations, beings. But Eru said no. So instead of sitting in the corner and weeping, he opposed Eru, bring his own melodies in to the music of the Ainur, don't mind what Eru thinks about that.

Just to be clear, I don't say that his later actions in Arda are right. He did many evil deeds. I am just saying, that he isn't black and white character, he is more complex and all that hatred has some reason.
 
If you are looking for a creative hero, why don't you think about Aulë? He was creative but not evil. He didn't suffer from his own pride. Aulë didn't try to conquer Eru. That's why Aulë's actions didn't have terrible consequences.
 
Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…