• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

What's the story behind your avatar and forum name?

Durin's Bane said:
Btw. it's Belerophon (maybe spelled differently).

The 3-headed beast is the Hydra killed by Hercules (and every time you cut one of it's heads two new would spring out), and it's not goat-bodied. And actually roman writers simply copied greek myths but spelled the names wrong.
I'm afraid Elgee is in the right, Durin's Bane. Herakles did indeed kill the Hydra, which was serpentine. The Chimaera was completely different, and made up of three creatures, with (in variations of the legend) one or more heads. Three-headed-ness is not unique to either creature, lest we forget. Cerberus had three head and three tails! The word Chimaera even today refers to that which is made up of three parts (usually a mythological or imaginary creature). Roman writers were terrible theives when regarding literature, but let's not take their due from them. Rome spawned her own great minds and poets, with original material that surpasses many Greek legends. And Americans spell things wrong too, but nobody blames *them* ;)
 
I never said that the 3-headed-ness was unique, but I don't think anyone would mistake Hydra with Cerberus.

And actually I've never heard of a three headed version of Chimaera before.
My other point was that the roman religion was entirely based on the greek one, yet they had more time to develop it...
And I think that there was also another myth concerning Belerophon killing something...
Hey, I forgot this was about the nick and avatar story.
The nick name just came up to my mind when I was filling the registration, and I don't have an avatar just cause the files would either end in the wrong way or would be to big...
P.S. OK this one fits perfectly: that's the demon hunter from Warcraft 3.
 
Last edited:
I can't remember if I've answered this question already--here or in a similar thread. Nonetheless, while my avatar speaks for himself, it has been pointed out to me in private correspondence that since my forum name is Arthur Vandelay, my av should depict George (or the presiding judge in the series finale), not Kramer. But I like things the way they are. You'll just have to deal with it. ;)
 
Back on topic... :)

AraCelebEarwen is a name that I made from reading in the back of The Sil. If you can't figure it out, it means, noble silver sea maiden. Nice and long, very cool! :D My avatar? Liked the game, found the pic, won't change it for a while! :D Kingdom Hearts is a very good game, good story, great fights, cool puzzles... too bad I never did more then watch my bros. play. ;) :D
 
Being obsessed with all the people, cultures, places, and history of Tolkien's creations, I chose the name Ingolmo, meaning Loremaster in Quenya. My avatars are always changing, but they should have a cool fantasical look to them.
 
I chose Tar-Elendil13 not only because I wanted an obscure Numenorian King's name (I was always more fascinated by the Edain more than the Eldar) and I always tag on the end my age at the time of the username's creation. That and it looks like my name on PE. As for my avatar, I decided I wanted the flag of the ABSOLUTE COOLEST STATE EVER!!!! :D However, I might decide that I want a flag of the coolest country ever (CSA). New Edit: Now I have an avatar of my favorite Baseball team. May change soon.

TE13
 
Last edited:
This will sum up a lot of krap with me. I was at a loss for a name and since Silent Hill 4 wasn't out at the time I couldn't use The Conjurer so I used Wraithguard which is derived from The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. If you have played through the main storyline, it is the legendary gauntlet that allows you blah blah blah. My avatar is Walter Sullivan, the 'dead' serial killer from Silent Hill 4 that constantly kicks your arse up and down the screen. I'm waiting to get an official Sullivan avatar because I made this one from a screenshot so the quality is poor. My other avatars are random people from Silent Hill but I'll be sticking with Sullivan for a long time.
 
Mines pretty simple :

Name: Well most of the characters in lotr were Warriors (Duh!) And the 93 is my birthday

Avatar: Easy, Aragorn is my favourite character.
 
Wraithguard said:
I'm waiting to get an official Sullivan avatar because I made this one from a screenshot so the quality is poor. My other avatars are random people from Silent Hill but I'll be sticking with Sullivan for a long time.

POOR?! :eek: *gulp* looks like a good pic to me... *shivers* He's creepy! :eek: :D
 
Just wait for my new avatars when Silent Hill 5 comes out in 2006. The protagonist is supposed to be a "Mental Hospital Patient" so you can just imagine the fun I'll have with that one. :D I just wish I could get at least ONE picture of the actual Conjurer from Silent Hill 4. That would make for a sweet avatar.
 
I just changed my av...I guess it just goes with my user title. Face in the Crowd...yup. I love the pic that I used for my avvy but I couldn't get it small enough to use while still big enough to see... :(
 
There's a similar thread over in The Hall of Fire but I'll repeat my thing here...

I picked "Baragund" for several reasons. First, I chose a Mannish character because my RL personality best fits the Mannish traits that Tolkien described in his writings, especially the Edain of the First Age. I picked a "bit part" player in the mythology because taking the name of a leading character like, say, Beren or Hurin struck me as presumptuous. Finally, I just love the story of Barahir and his heroic, desperate band of 12 companions who bedeviled the forces of evil who were occupying their homeland.

The avatar I took from a web site devoted to Tolkien illustrations. It's supposed to be Lothlorien but it struck me how Tarn Aeluin, the hideout of Barahir and companions in Dorthonion, should look.

The signature is straightforward. There used to be a Guild of Scholars here and I belonged to that.

My Deep Thought reflects my cry of bewilderment and frustration in a world that can be pretty crazy. It is a line that Scrooge uttered in "A Christmas Carol" and it always made me chuckle.
 
avatar6261_5.gif
You know who's Ingwë - he is the High King of the Elves. I like the Vanyar so I chose this name. I like it. I don't know why no one used it before :)
And about my avatar... I found it when the thread oooooh, pretty! Elgee likes... was young. Then I searched the web and I found this picture :) I still like it. Now it is kinda of a cult (I don't think that is the rinht word in English. We use it in Bulgarian when we want to express something special, something that has become symbolically).
Well, I add the picture because after a while I will use another avatar. But I don't think I will change this one till the end of the year :)
 
Yesterday, I went up White Horse Hill in Oxfordshire. One of the little thatched villages we passed through, Bishopstone, has a sign "ducks in middle of road - please drive carefullyl". I thought "Only in England!" and took a photo of the sign, which I then used as an avatar.

ps: the village pond runs alongside the narrow road and that's where the ducks live. None were in the middle of the road that day.

Incidentally, in a nearby field there's a crop circle, caught on Google Maps!
 
My current avatar is from a Charlie the Unicorn youtube clip. You'll either really find it funny or really not get it, depending on your particular sense of humor. Either way, my two-year-old loves it and sings along with the goofy unicorns. "Narwhale of Death" is also a Charlie phrase.
 
My avatar represents The Little Prince ( Le Petit Prince), Exupéry's most famous novella. I love this book!!:) My nickname is the same from many years and at the moment I don t remember why I chose it (maybe because it sounds well) :eek:​
 
My avatar is a picture of our black Morgan stallion "C.J." (Em-Jac's Tenacity) taken back in his younger days, all dolled up for a dressage show. My forum name means Dark Horse (of course). I always enjoyed the fact that the warriors of Rohan had a pivotal role in the later battles of LOTR.
When the movie brought the massed charges of the Rohirrim to life, I was simply awed by the spectacle.

Those guys kicked butt!:cool:
 
Well my forum name Starflower is a homage to my sister's daughter who is called Elanor - the Star-Sun flower.
The avatar is Tifa from FFVII
 
one of the best threads..
name: in the movie it's one of my fav parts which the host of elves cames for Rohan for help and the music there is I think one of the best of the complete recordings. and I like elves..
avatar: legolas is my fav character in movie, book, game.. I like archers, archery,bows.. and I picked up the one which he is at helms deep
title: its from bfme2 game. legolas cries "for mirkwood" when he fires.
sig : as you know gandalf says those words in moria at the beginning. thats cool I think it shows his wisdom and prevision..
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top