Rivendell_librarian
Active Member
- Joined
- Aug 19, 2018
- Messages
- 772
Apparently Tolkien wrote in a letter that there must be orc women (female orcs) but does anyone know if they are ever referred to in the canonical or non canonical works?

No Aldarion, dwarf-women do exist! Just read this in App.A of LotR ("Annals of Kings and Rulers"):
It was said by Gimli that there are few dwarf-women, probably no more than a third of the whole people. They seldom walk abroad except at great need. They are in voice and appearance, and in garb if they must go on a journey, so like to the dwarf-men that the eyes and ears of other peoples cannot tell them apart. This has given rise to the foolish opinion among Men that there are no dwarf-women, and that the Dwarves ‘grow out of stone’.
Read my post again. I am aware that they exist. I merely pointed out that they are not mentioned in the story.
I wonder if we can find photographic reproductions of the rest of this letter?More details of the letter can be found here:
http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Letter_to_Mrs_Munby
"There must have been orc-women. But in stories that seldom if ever see the Orcs except as soldiers of armies in the service of the evil lords we naturally would not learn much about their lives. Not much was known"
went beyond his imagination (and very certainly beyond his - or that of any human - experience in the "real world" - at least I hope so!)… Orcs reproduced after the manner of the Children of Eru.
You mean vaguely like Saruman's Uruk-hai in the second film?But I'm sure they didn't grow in tar pits.