• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Which of the 3 movies is your favourite?

Which is your favourite

  • The Fellowship Of The Ring

    Votes: 15 31.9%
  • The Two Towers

    Votes: 1 2.1%
  • The Return Of The King

    Votes: 31 66.0%

  • Total voters
    47
I immediately voted for FOTR, but that might not be fair because I have only seen ROTK once, and it will take me a while to get used to it.

I left ROTK in a bad way. All of the changes made me cry hard during the movie. I expected ROTK to be perfect and to make up for anything all the movies did. So I guess it is my fault if I didn't like it. I was just, I don't know, I've never had that feeling before. I did wake up in the middle of the night thinking of Frodo in Sammath Naur, and couldn't sleep again.

It might all be because I saw ROTK in the middle of my Final Exam days, so I was stressed. I also didn't see for the first time on my traditional day of Christmas Eve. I don't know how I feel about that yet. And I hated Frodo telling Sam to go home. That's when I started crying. I just expected too much of ROTK. I just expected ROTK to be a movie that it can never be (unless the EE is superb).

My vote might change when I see it again. Oh well. I know it was a good movie, I just need to see that. The ending was my favorite part, but non- Tolkien readers who also saw it yesterday hated the ending. It just wasn't the flawless amazing movie that I expected it to be. Ahh.... poor me.

I was just blown away by FOTR. It might always be my favorite because I saw it before I read the book. I left FOTR completely dazed. Unable to think straight, and I was ringstruck. I reread the Hobbit that night and began reading LOTR the day after Christmas, which was two days later. Ahh well.

Hopes fail, Frodo was right.

Maybe it will all be better on Christmas Eve, maybe it will all be better!

But PJ must know, that if the Extended Edition isn't 6 hours long, very very good, and doesn't make the movie be what I came to expect from him.... then he will be in trouble.

Just kidding. I think.
 
I liked ROTK the best. It was by far my fav book and so also my fav film, because most of it stuck to the book. I just didn't like it taht some of my fav parts from the book were not there, or very short (Houses of healing e.g.), but I hope they will be in the EE.
 
Well, looks like I'm the lone voice for TTT. Actually, I couldn't really decide which one is my favorite. At this moment ROTK is my least favorite *as an adaptation*. It just too inconsistent for my taste, compared to FOTR and TTT, but as a movie it's loads of fun and is just plain awesome. I guess what made me pick TTT is the extended version, which had the scene with Boromir and Faramir retaking Osgiliath. That scene was completely unexpected, and when I saw it I was overjoyed. That just made TTT for me, though I liked it as a whole anyway.

Plus, TTT is the underdog here so why not.
 
I must say ROTK. Even as a Christopher Lee fan. In fact it's as good as FOTR EE- are you speaking of EE's, by the way? sorry if the question has already been asked-, so if ROTK EE keeps its promises, we're going to have a wonderful movie.
 
I feel a little choked up in Boromir's death scene, and FotR was a beautiful movie. But I get the same feeling from many different scenes in RotK. No movie has ever put me through as many emotions as this one did. Kudos, PJ!
 
It's a really tough question to answer, especially this early, and having only seen the theatrical edition of RotK one time at this point. If only the theatrical editions are in the running, then it's definately between FotR and RotK. If Extended Editions count, then I'm even more confused.

I suppose the fact that RotK can compete with the EE though speaks volumes for the film. FotR blew me away, but the EE is so much better. I thoroughly enjoyed TTT at the cinema, but it didn't feel complete until the EE was released. RotK had some parts that felt edited, but it didn't take away from the experience one bit.

I don't know. I've always reluctantly said that RotK is my favorite of the "three" books when asked the question, but I prefer to look at the work as Tolkien intended, that being one expansive piece of literature that was forced to be broken up. The ending of any great story is usually the most enjoyable part after all. I guess my answer would be the same for the films: RotK, but all of the movies are simply three pieces of a whole in my eyes.

I really can't wait for the EE DVD though, as I plan to set aside a day to watch The Lord of the Rings film.
 
As far as filming and capturing human emotion and combining it with the action, ROTK was the best. That being said, FOTR was my favorite. Like others have said, it brought us into Middle-Earth and was almost like a magical experience. I also may be a litte biased because FOTR was my favorite book as well, and it had Boromir, one of my favorite characters!
 
TTT is slightly behind RotK. i didnt like FotR as much because it was sorta boring to me.. i seemed to like the other two better because of all the wars and fighting, and it was just more intense.
 
I think ROTK barely Squeeked by The Fellowship. But i also liked TTT better than the Fellowhsip when it first was released but then after seeing it many more times, i came to realize that i appreciated the Fellowship more and that it was more emotional. At this current moment, i think that ROTK is he best of all 3. The battle Scenes kept me on the edge of my seat through the whole movie. My only beef with it is the into to the movie telling the story of Smeagol. Dont get me wrong, i loved it but it just didnt connect with anything right after the scene was over. it was more like a tid bit of info to know!
 
As always, I liked the previews best.

And they showed the Prisoner of Azkhaban! It'll be out summer 2004!

Something to really celebrate!

If only LOTR had some of the fidelity to the original works shown in the Harry Potter movies. . . .
 
Bah, Harry Potter is extremely dull and boring. Nothing at all like the classic tales wriiten by JRRT. Harry Potter will never stand a chance to LOTR
 



LOL I think that is pretty funny - especially with all these Purists lurking about with Pitchforks and Clubs.
 
I thought it did a great job of building up tension- a sense of foreboding. First off, people didn't seem to worry enough about the Smeagol/Gollum conversation in TT, the one where he accuses himself of being a 'murderer'. He just doesn't seem that dangerous- even with the closing scene. Up until this point we think he is scary but cute- we don't know he has the ability to kill so easily. Then right after we see him Kill Deagol and go through this horrible transition, we see him guiding the Ringbearer. Uh-oh!!
 
Belegmacar said:
ROTK IS THE BEST MOVIE EVER MADE!!!!
Well, I can't be sure about that, but it is indeed the best movie I have ever seen.

It was so wonderful. I mean it had everything - not only battles and fighting, and I think that it brought out the point of the story.
 
I vote for ROTK,because its the best if we look at then as an independent movies.for me it was always one movie-The Lord of the Rings,one book-The Lord of the Rings.I cant say that ROTK was my favorite,i cant say that i didnt like TTT and FOTR was the most emotional,bacause i believe that each movie add something unique,so i cant devide them and when i speak for LOTR i speak about the three parts and the same time.so i can say that my favorite movie is The Lord of The Rings:The Motion Pincture Trilogy
 

I can't say that I "liked" any one of them more than the others (and I've seen all of them in theaters at least 3 times and the DVDs countless times). What I do say is that I enjoyed TTT somewhat less than the other two. I found the the 1st and 3rd to be more balanced and dramatically satisfying.

I still say that PJ could have taken out 7 minutes of the Helms Deep Battle (and the part where Frodo offers up the ring to the fell beast!) to include Saruman's final scenes. It would have worked.

Lotho
 
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…