• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

While Time Remains of the Blessed Day

Aldanil

mad about mallorn
Joined
Dec 27, 2001
Messages
281
I'm posting this fresh thread in Entmoot because

1) I do loves me to "get together and talk" about Middle-earth;

2) apparently EVERYONE ELSE here at the Forum
(and since I've been here only twice since last summer,
who am I to complain?) has shockingly, inexplicably FAILED
to establish the necessary Birthday Thread already; and

3) unless there's a sudden stampede of congratulations,
in only another hour or so (here on the Eastern seaboard)
the matter of celebration will be an altogether moot point!


So who's with me then? Let's hear some noise!


John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, the father of Arda,
is one hundred and twenty years young today:
Thank You, Magister! Happy Birthday, Dad!
 
Last edited:
Re: While Time Remains

And will continue to, of course. . .


'Tisn't unkind or too harsh, I hope, to hear the sad windy dry sound of tumbleweeds on the stairs and terraces of Eregion in the enumeration that more than five dozen folk of The Forum have viewed this single-entry thread (though that figure's now doubled) in the twenty-seven days since, and not one of them has found it fitting or timeworthy to give even a belated least shout-out to John Ronald on his 120th birthday: Ai! Lomlost Marthrond! Ai!

The Green Great Tree of the Tale of Arda continues to flourish, as well, untroubled by any excess of cordial watering. . .
 
Last edited:
Ok,ok.

Here's a very belated Happy Birthday! to J.R.R.T. who's stories have given me immense pleasure over the years.
 
Re: the Blessed Day



That wasn't so painful now, was it?

Thank you, Starbrow, for thy breeze
of grateful praise from the Windy City!

Sorry to have (apparently) come across as abrasive as Ted Sandyman
the Miller in asking. I'm still half-amazed that no one here seems to
have remembered The Famous Natal Occasion! I receive a greeting, no
less pleasant for being quite automatic, every year from TTF on my
birthday in November, and John Ronald Reuel's turning an even ten dozen
passes without congratulation, indeed without remark?! What Gives, O Forum?


And the answer comes, unbidden; even as I dawdle over the embroidery
of my whinging, the Prince of Cats (whom some may name Tybalt) offers
a grace note of kindness to the softly, slowly rising tune! To which I'd only
add: or dancing with his Luthien Edith among the white-flowering hemlocks!

Although Bilbo's quiet donnish life in Imladris, reading and hearing old tales,
deepening his understanding of the Elven-tongues, writing poetry and history,
tucking into the occasional feast, listening to the river, gazing up at Elbereth's
stars -- what's not to love? Sure sounds sweet to me, and JRRT might agree!
 
It's just that your original post was so thorough that I didn't think that I had anything worthy to add.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top