• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Who achieved the most and the least of the Fellowship?

Radaghast

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 31, 2021
Messages
2,810
In Unfinished Tales, in an essay titled "The Elessar", Tolkien wrote that "Legolas probably achieved least of the Nine Walkers." The full paragraph is quoted below:
I first thought the line seemed a non-sequitur but now that I reread it it's in the midst of Tolkien making a point about the relative "non-involvement" of the elves in Middle-earth towards the end of the Third Age. It almost seems like Tolkien is suggesting Legolas was purposely holding back from acting, which strikes me as curious.

Anyway, that's not the point of this post. As per the title it's to ask who did the most of the Fellowship and who did the least. A question on Quora asks if it's Pippin, which I don't think is the case. But I'm curious to see what others think.
 
this is so true! on this specific occasion, Eru's Music was concluded in the big chaotic rumble of stuff falling accidentally through a hole, lol
 
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…