• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Who here writes his/her own stories?

My anxiety actually helps me with finishing my fan fic, at least in a way - I get so anxious about not being able to post anything (I have this policy of only posting fics that have at least a finished draft) that I often finish a fan fic within days after I've started. If I were to drag things out too much, I'd get even more anxious than I already am AND I'd lose my writing mood. (I can only write when I'm in a specific mood, and that mood never lasts very long.)

So... I guess having a chaotic and weird mind can actually HELP, because the end result - at least for me - is "I posted a fan fic and it has a beginning and an end... but boy was it stressful to get there" 😄
I find I can stick to writing a specific fanfic more than I can original stories. The characters are already so developed it keeps me from getting bored.

I have only published a couple fanfics and I totally feel you on waiting till I have a finished draft. My mood to write changes very often as well.
 
I've abandoned the earlier story idea of sending Marida back to Middle-earth and decided to keep her and Owen together. It would be too stressful for her to have to constantly go back and forth between worlds. I put back a story I deleted when I got back into Thorin (for a short time, since it's kind of fizzled at the moment, which is why I changed both my username and avatar, but unlike last time, I won't be getting rid of any of the Hobbit movies, since I tend to cycle back and forth between fandoms). It's set during the events of Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom and unlike what happens in the movie, the Grady's don't leave, just go live in one of the underground bunkers until the couple in another story I'm working on crash land on the island about ten years later. I have both these stories posted on Ao3, so here's the link to my profile (it's easier than providing a link to the stories themselves):

https://archiveofourown.org/users/Island_Queen

It took me a while to locate The Lady Awakens on the Wayback Machine (which is where I found Marida's bio so that I could edit it back to the way I had it originally on both the original Arwen Undomiel site and RP Repository), so I had to search for it using a different search engine, since I wasn't getting very far with Google (I probably wasn't doing it right).
 
Who here writes his/her own strories?

What are your stories about?
Have you writen anything story which had its setting in Tolkien's Middle Earth?
Would you mind sharing a bit or your own works here?

I have written one in-depth story set in Middle-earth. I've written a few shorter summary scenes set in Middle-earth within the canon of the appendices summaries. My main ongoing project has been about the children of Aragorn and Arwen. I focused on one of the two or more daughters that are mentioned in the middle of a single sentence in nearly eight pages of Appendix A Part V: 'Here follows a part of the Tale of Aragorn and Arwen' ... (It's in my signature)

I initially presented my 'fan fiction' on the 'Many Paths To Tread' website, and admittedly was a bit of a rough draft. That and as other seaid in this thread; I changed my mind on various things. I have re-edited it a few different time, the final edit being what I'm doing now before presenting it here in the Red Book of Westmarch in a scene snapshot style.

I've also am in the process of reworking the whole story into an alternate version that takes into account of the mention of Eldarion's birth in year 1 of the 4th Age in a note in the Nature of Middle Earth book. Except for the main characters being the same, it is a totally different story, and I'm weaving in parts of another story I had outlined pertaining to Faramir, Eowyn, and their son Elboron. Loft projects I know, but I lave such fun writing them. My challenge in presenting them here is I need to make sure some detailed scenes are edited to meet the site rating.
 
Last edited:
I once wrote a synopsis of the story (although the word “once” does not quite fit here, because the story was developed in the course of two or three years) which was originally intended as a biography of my High-elven character in LotRO, but became an outline of what could have become a great epic about the Exile of the Ñoldor and the War of the Jewels. It most likely never will, because I have largely lost interest in these matters (although if someone else finds it worthy and thinks they can make something of it, I would not mind). Here is the file with the synopsis on my Google Docs, anyway.
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top