• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Who here writes his/her own stories?

I love writing, but have a horrible habit of starting an idea and then jumping to another one. One day I'm hoping to actually finish something! 😬
The struggle is real!😭😭
I suggest that you try doing collab works with others. I don't know about you, but I hate keeping people waiting. A good RP partner forces you to keep things going.
 
Twilight Amidst the Everlasting Darkness is perhaps the only work I've ever finished and that was thanks to @Maedhros_Nelyafinwë , my partner in crime!😁
We both made each other move on, in a way.😉
Us harassing each other to stay motivated! 😂

And actually, you help me keep moving along. I can have the tendency to dwindle for a long time on random interpersonal stuff, and you're usually like, "Let's wrap this scene up in a post or two." And I'm like, oh, yeah...

But then again, we both still wrote about 60,000 words just about a few miserable days at a campsite...
 
And actually, you help me keep moving along. I can have the tendency to dwindle for a long time on random interpersonal stuff, and you're usually like, "Let's wrap this scene up in a post or two." And I'm like, oh, yeah...
And that's mostly because I'm excited for the new ideas I have lol.

So, it's safe to say, we finish each other's sandwiches!🎵
 
The struggle is real!😭😭
I suggest that you try doing collab works with others. I don't know about you, but I hate keeping people waiting. A good RP partner forces you to keep things going.
Oooh this is smart.

My other problem is that most stuff never leaves the Google Drive because people reading my work stresses me out 😂 My logic is...wanting to be a published author without anyone actually reading my stuff. Perhaps I need a penname!
 
Oooh this is smart.

My other problem is that most stuff never leaves the Google Drive because people reading my work stresses me out 😂 My logic is...wanting to be a published author without anyone actually reading my stuff. Perhaps I need a penname!
I understand you more than you realize. A year ago, I would've never thought I'd have come so far with my plot ideas. I liked to daydream about my topics of obsession (mostly fantasy worlds and pretty elves lol) but it was actually some of the amazing folks and friends here, and also, the mutual encouragement thread which made me publish my first work here. It was far from perfect and nothing like what I can write now, but it was the first step. The gentle or even rough criticism might discourage you or ruin your confidence a little, but it also helps you spot the flaws you couldn't before, which leads to your growth as a writer.
Writing is more skill rather than a talent, and it can never have room to grow if you don't let it live under the sun. If you're too self conscious about everyone reading it, I'd be happy to help you by being a beta reader.(though I'm a bit busy at the moment, so I can't promise to have a feedback ready anytime soon.)
 
Last edited:
I understand you more than you realize. A year ago, I would've never thought I'd have come so far with my plot ideas. I liked to daydream about my topics of obsession (mostly fantasy worlds and pretty elves lol) but it was actually some of the amazing folks and friends here, and also, the mutual encouragement thread which made me publish my first work here. It was far from perfect and nothing like what I can write now, but it was the first step. The gentle or even rough criticism might discourage you or ruin your confidence a little, but it also helps you spot the flaws you couldn't before, which leads to your growth as a writer.
Writing is more skill rather than a talent, and it can never have room to grow if you don't let it live under the sun. If you're too self conscious about everyone reading it, I'd be happy to help you by being a beta reader.(though I'm a bit busy at the moment, so I can't promise to have a feedback ready anytime soon.)
As a fellow writer of fantasy worlds and pretty elves I feel you!

And thank you so much. Perhaps when I get my latest idea plotted and started I will take you up on that! I’ve only been around a few days and everyone has been so lovely so thanks!!
 
I love writing, but have a horrible habit of starting an idea and then jumping to another one. One day I'm hoping to actually finish something! 😬
The only reason I abandon a story idea is because I took a break from the fandom (and perhaps the canon character my original character was involved with). When I took a break from the Hobbit movies (and Thorin), I had Marida (my Hobbit OC) find a time portal that took her to the modern world for about a decade. To have her blend in with the modern world, I changed her heritage from a true dwarf woman to a dwarven/human hybrid (her father and two brothers hail from the Blue Mountains, but her mother was a woman of Dale that may be related to the woman who called Alfrid a snake, so still small in stature). When I got back into them, instead of creating a new character, I got this idea of what would happen if one of the time portals got destroyed (since there was a volcanic eruption on Isla Nublar that might have taken out the time portal, which was located in the garage of the old Visitor's Center)? What would happen to the other one in Middle-earth? It was a way to bring Marida back and have her rekindle her relationship with Thorin (the movie version, since I never cared for the book version. Same with John Hammond from Jurassic Park; I prefer the movie version to the book version). Dwarves only have one true love, so Thorin may have never gotten remarried (my stories are AU stories, where the heirs of Durin survived, since I don't even like killing off any of my original characters, let alone any of my favorite canonical ones). Since Marida's a half-breed, these "rules" might not apply to her, since many of the race of man do have more than one "true" love.

I changed my username to the same one I have on TORN (theOneRing.net) in case I ever participate in any role play here, since I can use it as a character name (though she's not Queen of Erebor, Marida is. She'll be a Princess of Dol Amroth. It was a translation of what my name would be if I was a race of Middle-earth. In this case, human. One of my other results I'm using as a Hobbit character on the LotR Fanatics Plaza).
 
My anxiety actually helps me with finishing my fan fic, at least in a way - I get so anxious about not being able to post anything (I have this policy of only posting fics that have at least a finished draft) that I often finish a fan fic within days after I've started. If I were to drag things out too much, I'd get even more anxious than I already am AND I'd lose my writing mood. (I can only write when I'm in a specific mood, and that mood never lasts very long.)

So... I guess having a chaotic and weird mind can actually HELP, because the end result - at least for me - is "I posted a fan fic and it has a beginning and an end... but boy was it stressful to get there" 😄
 
The only reason I abandon a story idea is because I took a break from the fandom (and perhaps the canon character my original character was involved with). When I took a break from the Hobbit movies (and Thorin), I had Marida (my Hobbit OC) find a time portal that took her to the modern world for about a decade. To have her blend in with the modern world, I changed her heritage from a true dwarf woman to a dwarven/human hybrid (her father and two brothers hail from the Blue Mountains, but her mother was a woman of Dale that may be related to the woman who called Alfrid a snake, so still small in stature). When I got back into them, instead of creating a new character, I got this idea of what would happen if one of the time portals got destroyed (since there was a volcanic eruption on Isla Nublar that might have taken out the time portal, which was located in the garage of the old Visitor's Center)? What would happen to the other one in Middle-earth? It was a way to bring Marida back and have her rekindle her relationship with Thorin (the movie version, since I never cared for the book version. Same with John Hammond from Jurassic Park; I prefer the movie version to the book version). Dwarves only have one true love, so Thorin may have never gotten remarried (my stories are AU stories, where the heirs of Durin survived, since I don't even like killing off any of my original characters, let alone any of my favorite canonical ones). Since Marida's a half-breed, these "rules" might not apply to her, since many of the race of man do have more than one "true" love.

I changed my username to the same one I have on TORN (theOneRing.net) in case I ever participate in any role play here, since I can use it as a character name (though she's not Queen of Erebor, Marida is. She'll be a Princess of Dol Amroth. It was a translation of what my name would be if I was a race of Middle-earth. In this case, human. One of my other results I'm using as a Hobbit character on the LotR Fanatics Plaza).
That's really cool! I like that you kept your character developing even as your interests changed. It's a good idea.
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top