Originally posted by pohuist
I do not dispute Grond's (and yours) knowledge of Tolkien, but everybody has a right to their own opinion, and mine shouldn't necessarily concur with that of Grond.
I agree, I just wasn't expecting it, that's all pohuist.
Originally posted by pohuist
Getting to the point, you should be more attentive:
Uh-uh pohuist, I was attentive enough, you weren't clear on what you were saying.
Originally posted by pohuist
I was referring to Encyclopaedia of Arda only to the extent that it provides a link to the essay.
Exactly, which is why I said my argument was more...
Originally posted by Ulairi
"...iron-clad..."
...then yours. (Someone just shot himself in the foot

)
Originally posted by pohuist
...it is a separate piece of work.
I know.
Originally posted by pohuist
However, The Encyclopaedia seems accurate enough and it itself does present points in both support and rebuke of your theory.
I know, however, it is post-humous, whereas Tolkien's
Lord of the Rings was not. Therefore, as I have said, the
Encyclopaedia of Arda should not be believed as much as the thoughts of Tolkien in
The Lord of the Rings.
Originally posted by pohuist
I beleive that by 'Tolkien's publications' you mean his letter (correct me if I am wrong) in which he says that Bombadil is an 'intentional enigma'. This definition opens a door to many theories and arguments of what's Tom's origins are.
And that's how the argument ended, at a stalemate. We will never know where Bombadil is from and if he was a 'living creature' or not. Therefore, Tolkien escaped contradiction via loopholes.
Originally posted by pohuist
...but NOT 'clearly shown'.
It is probable that what I have said is the 'clearest' solution that you will find, and you will find that a lot of people would agree with me.
The Encyclopaedia of Arda does not give an insightful enough look into the enigmatic
Tom Bombadil as
The Lord of the Rings does, where I derived my theory from.
Originally posted by Wonko the Sane
"The only thing "iron-clad" is your ego."
Well, at least I have a reason to be egocentric.