• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Who possesses greater strength: 🐲dragons or balrogs?

Which side is more powerful between the 3 most powerful dragons and the 3 most powerful balrogs?

  • Ancalagon, Glaurung, Smaug (Dragons)

    Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Gothmog, Lungorthin, Durin's Bane (Balrogs)

    Votes: 2 50.0%

  • Total voters
    4

Turin_Turambar

Mormegil
Joined
Mar 25, 2021
Messages
532
If we do not include Sauron, the most powerful servants of Morgoth were these dragons and balrogs. Do you think that the 3 most powerful dragons, Ancalagon, Glaurung and Smaug, are more powerful or are the 3 most powerful balrogs, Gothmog Lungorthin and Durin's Bane, more powerful? Because of their size, the fact that they spew the most burning fire of the middle earth and their manipulation effects I saying dragons. Because Ancalagon's wingspan was large enough to cover the sun. And except for one ring, dragon fire could melt the rings of power. Please do not think that balrogs are powerful because they are maiar. Because being a maia doesn't means being more powerful than dragons or elves. Because in the fall of Gondolin, Glorfindel killed 1 balrog and Ecthelion killed 4 balrogs. If an elf can kill a balrog, the dragon can also do it.
 
I definitely vote dragons because at least two of them are winged, and the Balrogs are not. :)

Also, Ecthelion only killed Gothmog. Killing 3 or 4 is the old alternate version of the Legendarium when Tolkien hadn't made up his mind about the number of Balrogs. When he concluded likely 3 and no more than 7, this is when a correct version was truly chosen in which Ecthelion solely killed Gothmog Lord of Balrogs.
 
Please do not think that balrogs are powerful because they are maiar. Because being a maia doesn't means being more powerful than dragons or elves.
Please do not assume for sure, that Dragons are not Maia's, because Tolkien never explicitly said yes or no.

As for your initial question, with exception of Ancalagon, I am with Balrogs all the way...
Dragon fire can't destroy the great ring, right? Can it destroy (or even harm) a Balrog?
I know the elves killed Balrogs, but I think it's more in the lore because Tolkien wanted to present a situations of David VS Goliath, and praise extraordinary deeds of extraordinary elves in extraordinary situations.

I read once someone wrote on some forum that I like... something like... Dragon is like a tank, Balrog is like a general.
Can tank kill general? Maybe... sort of... yes... for sure... but can generals command to a lot's of tanks? For sure
The above example is case where we are sure Dragons are not Maiar's
I am not so sure.
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top