• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Why did K. Elessar ban man from entering Shire?

Originally posted by Nóm
Well no, the question was this:


I am don't even care to answer that, but I had assumed that pgt was wanting to dicuss the logic of the Edict. I guess he/she can let us know if I am mistaken in this.
I was only reading the "heading" which simply asks the question "why" and not whether the action was "good" or "ill". If the rest of the question constitutes whether or not this action demonstrates Tolkien's desire for a place of "stasis" in his beloved rural England, then I would certainly answer in the affirmative.
 
But if it is so important to mingle Men and Hobbits, why is it that the history of Hobbits show them always moving away from Men?
Yes, they lived in Bree, and a number of Hobbits still did when the Edict was issued. But quite a lot of them moved further west, into the hunting grounds of the King of Arthedain, where they were granted land, and settled as free people, loyal to the king. They even sent some archers to help King Arvedui, and others participated in the battle where Angmar was overthrown.

Elessar is a descendant of the line of Kings and chieftains of Arthedain. He is learned in history, and he knows more about Hobbits than any other, except perhaps Gandalf.
He also knows that the Hobbits are capable of defending themselves:

From the Tale of Years:
2747 bandobras Took defeats an Orc-band in the North-farthing.
This was long before the Rangers start guarding the Shire.
And in some way, the Edict actually worked. There were no more battles in the Shire after the Battle of Bywater. I can't find the right quote right now, but some probably know where it is.
 
Again, I do not debate the wisdom (or lack thereof) of the ban, only that apparently Aragorn was of the opinion that this was the will of the Shire (perhaps it had been expressed to him through one of the Fellowship) and in gratitude for the service of the Four, he granted their request.

And, again, certainly I believe that this is a manifestation of Tolkien's own desire for an "unspoiled" haven away from the rapid (and to his mind awful) encroachment of "modernity" which was gobbling up the countryside in the rush of 20th century "progress".
 

Similar threads

Back
Top