• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Why do Some People Vociferously Dislike JRRT's 🧝Elves?

I just checked my spreadsheet to see how many Superman comics (including Justice League, etc.) I have in storage. 1,924 - with many of those being omnibus and collected editions. Plus whatever is on DC Infinite. 732 are Pre-Crisis (my favorite), and some are Superman clones (Kalelogues) from other companies, but we all know they're Superman with his shield filed off. Also, 32 novels or non-fiction works about Clark.

I need to get my Elf collection expanded, but it's a couple dozen books on mythology plus fiction.
Oh wow! Compared to that, I just "sorta like" Superman, then. 🤣 I am intrigued by the novels about Clark, though!

There's something to that, and I've heard that people writing fiction will sometimes resent their own fictional characters for having a romantic relationship with the studly hero they also made up - especially common with fan fiction. This is super weird to me.
Come again? Fan fiction writers resenting their own creations? Please explain.
 
Come again? Fan fiction writers resenting their own creations? Please explain.
I am sort of summarizing from an article I read a while back. It was someone writing about fan fiction choices, and why certain characters tend to be left out, or why characters would be made uninterested in romantic liasons. The author said that many people (especially in fan fiction) are so smitten with the fictional protagonist that they cannot bear the idea of him having a relationship with another entirely fictional person - unless that fictional person was their own Mary Sue avatar. In trying to develop romantic subplots they begin to hate the characters they make up (anyone good enough for Kirk has to be a real knockout, AND I CAN'T COMPETE WITH THAT!) and so end up either drastically changing the character, ignoring romance altogether, or just end up putting a really obvious version of themselves into the role of romantic foil.

I have heard of female fans hating Lois Lane (I think her character is poorly done, sometimes, but I don't hate her). Why? She's Superman's girlfriend, and you're not!

Addendum: My favorite Superman novels are free in audio format and text - The Last Son of Krypton by Elliot S! Maggin, and Miracle Monday by the same. The author does the audio reading himself. He's no Tolkien, but his vision of Superman is...transcendent.
 
Last edited:
I am sort of summarizing from an article I read a while back. It was someone writing about fan fiction choices, and why certain characters tend to be left out, or why characters would be made uninterested in romantic liasons. The author said that many people (especially in fan fiction) are so smitten with the fictional protagonist that they cannot bear the idea of him having a relationship with another entirely fictional person - unless that fictional person was their own Mary Sue avatar. In trying to develop romantic subplots they begin to hate the characters they make up (anyone good enough for Kirk has to be a real knockout, AND I CAN'T COMPETE WITH THAT!) and so end up either drastically changing the character, ignoring romance altogether, or just end up putting a really obvious version of themselves into the role of romantic foil.
Hmm... that is weird. I will admit many of my fanfics require the creation of female partners or leading ladies to fill in the blanks left by the author (for example, having to create a character that is Thanduil's wife, because Legolas was birthed and not spontaneously generated), but I have never started to hate my original creations out of envy. That's just wild. If anything, I love my original characters too much. I also tend to create more male characters than female, so I don't think I fall into the common trap of self-insertion(?). (Note: I'm a heterosexual female.) However, I have seen some strange things interacting with fanfiction authors. We're a... er.... special bunch of creatives. 😂

I have heard of female fans hating Lois Lane (I think her character is poorly done, sometimes, but I don't hate her). Why? She's Superman's girlfriend, and you're not!
Eeeeyeah... this is a real thing among girls. I was once guilty of having similar jealousies.... when I was like, 10. You're supposed to outgrow it.

Addendum: My favorite Superman novels are free in audio format and text - The Last Son of Krypton by Elliot S! Maggin, and Miracle Monday by the same. The author does the audio reading himself. He's no Tolkien, but his vision of Superman is...transcendent.
Thank you for the recommendation! I browsed the sample of Miracle Monday and now I'm at risk of having more of my precious free time stolen. 🤣
 
Eeeeyeah... this is a real thing among girls. I was once guilty of having similar jealousies.... when I was like, 10. You're supposed to outgrow it.
From what I can see, a lot of people don't agree. A lot of people seem to be proud of their pettiness and other vices. It's really disturbing how some people see being trashy and dramatic almost as an identity.
Thank you for the recommendation! I browsed the sample of Miracle Monday and now I'm at risk of having more of my precious free time stolen.
I read them each in a day. A lot of modern Superman fans like the more 'humanized' version, I always preferred the more godlike, angelic version (IE Grant Morrison), and Maggin does, too. Its really satisfying to read a book by someone else who goes, "Yeah, Superman, he's better than everyone, but it's cool, he's the nicest guy in the world'. The lead female character in Miracle Monday also thinks Superman is awesome, which is nice.
 
Last edited:
I wasn't aware of such a dislike of Tolkien's elves in fantasy fandom, but my involvement was decades ago. I guess I haven't been keeping up -- but it would seem many of these people never got around to The Silmarillion.😄
A lot of them don't read books at all. They look at forum posts, wikis and D&D and assume they understand Tolkien based on a 7th grader's shoddy interpretation. The Silmarillion is not really what your average fantasy reader today wants to get into. The Silmarillion is fantasy for people who like mythology, not for people whose entire impression of fantasy is from derivative Tolkienisms and Harry Potter (nothing against Harry, but it's not exactly the Kalevala).
Addendum: Warhammer 40K fandom suffers from this a lot, too. There are tons of game books and novels, but 40% of the people arguing on forums are simply repeating memes based on books they've never read. They literally don't know what they're talking about. It would be like you and I arguing about the plot of a movie we've never seen. Deranged.
 
Last edited:
Addendum: Warhammer 40K fandom suffers from this a lot, too. There are tons of game books and novels, but 40% of the people arguing on forums are simply repeating memes based on books they've never read. They literally don't know what they're talking about. It would be like you and I arguing about the plot of a movie we've never seen. Deranged.
Okay, if in a next post I see you talking about The Witcher I'm going to be convinced you are actually Henry Cavill.

But seriously, I think I can claim to be a fantasy geek and then I run into true geeks like you with serious depth and breath to their fandoms, and I realize I'm actually only "fan/geek adjacent". I feel so small. 😂
 
Okay, if in a next post I see you talking about The Witcher I'm going to be convinced you are actually Henry Cavill.
If I was Henry Cavill you better believe my face would be my profile picture. That man is unreasonably handsome. He's still not as a good looking as Superman, but nobody's perfect (except maybe Superman).
But seriously, I think I can claim to be a fantasy geek and then I run into true geeks like you with serious depth and breath to their fandoms, and I realize I'm actually only "fan/geek adjacent". I feel so small. 😂
And I am nearly forty, so I've had a long time to read all this stuff. What matters to me isn't whether someone has gone into all the nerd stuff I have read in detail but whether they can have an interesting conversation, extrapolate from one thing to the other, etc. It's the interest in plumbing the depths that I appreciate, not necessarily how far you've gone spelunking so far.
One of my favorite geeks is Dr. Robert M. Price, who talks everything from mythology to the Bible to Superman and Conan, and it blows me away how much this guy has consumed and contributed to subjects I'm interested in. As I said earlier, I often find talking to younger people more interesting because a lot of people hit about 25 and stop caring about anything but paying their bills and television.

And, not that I mind, but the Action Ace is a bit off topic from elves and Tolkien :D Maybe there's a pub section or something where we can chat more about Superman and fan fiction :D
 
Ever seen Denis Gordeev's illustrations for the Russian editions?
e5qji39x4KR3E4_S-TtKnUXz89WqDId3VICCtA0Pa6E.jpg

9pbkV3ekWgksGFH4J_LCJvw4L_3oCqeNTiDwzeDAWGM.jpg
 
So this question…
Well,some of my friends would like to say that they prefer the True Fae type better,what's means more alienness and less "fair and heavenly HUMAN with pointed ears" stuff,however,I would think stuffs like that applies none to Eldar honestly. Aye,powerful fae kings and queens are incredible,but I still think it's better to read some real tolkien things to understand what does this means in a time without D&D and all,instead of mixing the image of elves in LotR films and the preconceived ideas made from all the things that called 'elves',froms films,trpgs and novels,all together.
By the way,however,an Atani fan forever is me! : )

Sorry for my broken English and logic--
 
I love my original characters too much. I also tend to create more male characters than female, so I don't think I fall into the common trap of self-insertion(?). (Note: I'm a heterosexual female.) However, I have seen some strange things interacting with fanfiction authors. We're a... er.... special bunch of creative
My characters tend to be female, flawed but always find redemption, I write them in a way that my male characters shine.


But yeah, I love my high fantasy character so much that she's the crux of it all, but I don't hate her to the point of leaving her as the last.



Then again, I am feeling Zeusy tonight.

XD

CL
 
My characters tend to be female, flawed but always find redemption, I write them in a way that my male characters shine.
But yeah, I love my high fantasy character so much that she's the crux of it all, but I don't hate her to the point of leaving her as the last.
Then again, I am feeling Zeusy tonight.
"...feeling Zeusy".... what a great expression 😄
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top