lol My morbid curiosity is actually starting to increase now that I've internalized that it's just an AU fanfic. It's still...dumb (even by AU standards) but I'm finding it easier to laugh.I get that, and I don’t blame you. I’m still watching them with an intense morbid curiosity to see how the 8th episode (season finale after only 8 episodes???) pans out. If the weird old man from the meteorite turns out to be Gandalf, that will be the final nail in the RoP coffin for me. Tom Shippey told them ages ago they were ruining the lore of Tolkien, and for that they (allegedly) sacked him. It’s the Gandalf thing for me. The Valar did not send the Maiar by airmail (non-hot) rocks!
Because she's Scottish. GET IT?! lol Stereotyping is okay some of the time it would seem.Don’t know why she’s not cooking Haggis for Elrond though; I’m sure he’d love it.
From the little bit of reading I've done about Haggis, I'd guess it's a descendant of Éowyn's stew from the films ... or possibly the other way around.Don’t know why she’s not cooking Haggis for Elrond though; I’m sure he’d love it.
Haggis is a marmite thing. you either love or hate it.From the little bit of reading I've done about Haggis, I'd guess it's a descendant of Éowyn's stew from the films ... or possibly the other way around.
PJ & Co. at least didn't try for that fermented Greenland shark "delicacy" of Iceland. Seems to take close to a year of non-intuitive "preparation" just to become non-toxic ...
Good one!Because she's Scottish. GET IT?! lol Stereotyping is okay some of the time it would seem.
As for your question, yes this is the first time he's been mentioned.I just can't even with this series. Are they only now, IN THE SEVENTH EPISODE, mentioning Celeborn? I'm only following through recaps and video reviews so feel free to correct me, anyone. But if so that is monumentally horrendous writing. And that is before you even consider that it goes against the source by saying he's dead (though that could change, I suppose). You can't set up the protagonist's motivation as being revenge for her brother and then say, oh, by the way, she has/d a husband too. WHAT?!
And that is only scratching the surface. Absolutely horrible.
I wanna know who's taking care of Celebrían.As for your question, yes this is the first time he's been mentioned.
Also her exact words were that she's not seen him ever again. So yeah probably not dead, just been missing for a while.
What'd JRD have to say about it?Here's a little link for promoting ROP in a positive light against what John Rhys-Davies said about it.
It certainly doesn't paint them in the best light.Maybe ROP is made for 'hobbits'?
Everyone is pretty atrocious in that show. Galadriel is manipulative and vindictive. Elrond is serial liar. The Harfoots are sociopaths. The Númenóreans are inexplicably weak and unskilled warriors. Arondir is an oppressor "for their own good". Dísa and Durin seem to be the only two decent people.Agreed. They are horrid, just like everything else about RoP.
I don't think it's that the writers are American - there are plenty of Americans with a deep understanding of the lore. The writers quite simply haven't bothered to try to understand it. They've just taken a bunch of fantasy tropes and thrown them together, without caring if it's true to canon or not.Maybe it's just me and my connection to JRR, being British and all that chaps, (oops, and chapesses -sl), but the 'American' writers having not read the books or understanding the lore of Tolkien, and having a different education in using the 'English' language (No! American-English is not English) are on a hiding to nothing.
They have no comprehension of philology (the study of language in oral and written historical sources. Also, covers the intersection of textual criticism, literary criticism, history, and linguistics.) That's why the writing, and what oral nonsense the actors are saying, doesn't ring true to what most Tolkien fans relate to.
I already knew this would happen before RoP began, and in that, ignored the indifference to their not-so-subtle nuances. I understand why many of my fellow Tolkien admirers shudder at the sound of inaccurate utterances and obvious (or are they?) mistakes.
It doesn't help that they (of which they are 'So proud!) set out to remove some of the 'straight, white, patriarchal' elements and introduce the social demographics of today. Personally, I don't mind the additional aspects of social inclusion, but to bastardize (Yes, that's how you spell it - 'To lower in quality or character; debase.') the core elements of Tolkien's work is reprehensible beyond measure.
Hey ho, last episode this Friday...
I would have gladly welcomed increased representation. I always imagined the Númenóreans as dark (see below; click to enlarge). Since the Númenóreans were mariners who explored the whole world I also expected to see other lands, and there engage in a variety of demographics. But to have every culture have demographics that just happen to mimic those of the USA, in an era before mass travel is...inexplicable.Maybe it's just me and my connection to JRR, being British and all that chaps, (oops, and chapesses -sl), but the 'American' writers having not read the books or understanding the lore of Tolkien, and having a different education in using the 'English' language (No! American-English is not English) are on a hiding to nothing.
They have no comprehension of philology (the study of language in oral and written historical sources. Also, covers the intersection of textual criticism, literary criticism, history, and linguistics.) That's why the writing, and what oral nonsense the actors are saying, doesn't ring true to what most Tolkien fans relate to.
I already knew this would happen before RoP began, and in that, ignored the indifference to their not-so-subtle nuances. I understand why many of my fellow Tolkien admirers shudder at the sound of inaccurate utterances and obvious (or are they?) mistakes.
It doesn't help that they (of which they are 'So proud!) set out to remove some of the 'straight, white, patriarchal' elements and introduce the social demographics of today. Personally, I don't mind the additional aspects of social inclusion, but to bastardize (Yes, that's how you spell it - 'To lower in quality or character; debase.') the core elements of Tolkien's work is reprehensible beyond measure.
Hey ho, last episode this Friday...
True of almost every reboot in the last 7 years, unfortunately.I don't think it's that the writers are American - there are plenty of Americans with a deep understanding of the lore. The writers quite simply haven't bothered to try to understand it. They've just taken a bunch of fantasy tropes and thrown them together, without caring if it's true to canon or not.
I imagine it went something like this....
View attachment 16424
As or the latest episode, even that last has been questioned.Everyone is pretty atrocious in that show. Galadriel is manipulative and vindictive. Elrond is serial liar. The Harfoots are sociopaths. The Númenóreans are inexplicably weak and unskilled warriors. Arondir is an oppressor "for their own good". Dísa and Durin seem to be the only two decent people.
I don't know whether to put a laughing or sad emoji on this post 🤔I don't think it's that the writers are American - there are plenty of Americans with a deep understanding of the lore. The writers quite simply haven't bothered to try to understand it. They've just taken a bunch of fantasy tropes and thrown them together, without caring if it's true to canon or not.
I imagine it went something like this....
View attachment 16424
Sorry, I didn't mean to say that Americans who read Tolkien don't understand the Lore. I have spoken with many Americans who get into deeper meaning of the world of Arda more than most. It was Amazon's writers I was taking aim at. They have admitted as much at not reading the books in-depth (A must for Tolkien works). They use limited speech for the actors to convey their 'trope' lines. Have we heard over two sentences strung together by any of the cast without a pause? No. In most dialogue cases they utter their one or two lines, then the camera view changes before the next line, so it's obvious they have only spoken two sentences. And the simplistic English used sometimes doesn't even make sense, or even appear as genuine conversations.I don't think it's that the writers are American - there are plenty of Americans with a deep understanding of the lore. The writers quite simply haven't bothered to try to understand it. They've just taken a bunch of fantasy tropes and thrown them together, without caring if it's true to canon or not.
I imagine it went something like this....
View attachment 16424
I know nothing about her but the way they're going about some things in the show I suppose they're just gonna use her as a mystery and cliffhanger somewhere. Also, can't she take care of herself?I wanna know who's taking care of Celebrían.
I wanted to say Durin as well, love him. Disa had a crazy glow in her eyes last episode so she's obviously Sauron /s.Everyone is pretty atrocious in that show. Galadriel is manipulative and vindictive. Elrond is serial liar. The Harfoots are sociopaths. The Númenóreans are inexplicably weak and unskilled warriors. Arondir is an oppressor "for their own good". Dísa and Durin seem to be the only two decent people.
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Are you happy to accept cookies and these technologies?
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Are you happy to accept cookies and these technologies?