• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Why were the battles in which Turin participated not named?

I think it's because they're more like skirmishes if compared with the great battles of Beleriand.
so, i have one question.When we look at the picture below, there is an army war in the brethil forest that cannot be called a conflict according to real life. If the wars in the brethil forest are conflicts according to the middle world, how many armies were there in other wars, such as nirnaeth arnoediad dagor bragollach dagor aglareb? If the war in the brethil forest is small enough to be considered a conflict, I can't even imagine the size of the battles in the other major battles. Is there a reliable source on the army numbers in these wars?
54521-TN-The_Orc-Host_is_Ambushed_in_Brethil.jpg
 
Is there a reliable source on the army numbers in these wars?
54521-TN-The_Orc-Host_is_Ambushed_in_Brethil.jpg
I seriously doubt that. The only specific number I can recall is Turgon showing up unexpected at the Nirnaeth Arnoediad with an army of ten thousand. JRRT was vague on all sorts of numbers, including populations. But as to wars and battles, I can well imagine that he had little interest beyond general description and (very) few details. He had been in war, in one of the most massive, and costly, battles of the First World War, the Battle of the Somme starting on 01 July 1916, losing two of his three closest friends in that battle, one on the very first day.
I can well imagine JRRT being horrified at the morbid interest taken by many who have not experienced war (and should be thankful for that) in all sorts of "war games". The concept of war "games" might very well have made him feel sickened.
 
Back
Top