• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

✅ done Would you want a calendar feature for the forum?

This suggestion has been approved and added.

Manwe

Forum Wizard
Administrator
Joined
Jul 5, 2019
Messages
151
Hi,

I've been thinking if we should create a "Calendar" for the forum where we can add events that have happened in the Tolkienverse.

We could then from this data create a "what happened this day in middle-earth"-widget, as well as discussion threads around the date.

From a user point of view, the following could be filled out when creating an "event":
  • Age (First, Second, Third, "Real-world")
    • Here I might need help with what ages we should include, and what we should call "our age" (for events like Tolkien born, movies released, etc)
  • Year
  • Month (optional if unknown)
  • Date (optional if unknown)
  • Title of the event
  • Short description (optional)

We could then have browseable calendars like:
  • What happened F.A. 339
    • This page would list all events in chronological order for that age + year
  • What happened today (or any date) in Tolkienverse
    • List of events, grouped and sorted by Age, Month etc :)

I'm also thinking that similar to how the wiki auto-links to pages, we could make mentions like "F.A. 123" link to the calendar page for that year.

How does this sound? Is there something I'm missing that would be useful? :)
 
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
1. Am I right in seeing this as 'very date pecific' ??

In other words, using Aragorn as an example, we'll do one entry and 'save' for Aragorn's birth, another and 'save' for his death, another for the date he reclaims the crown, another for the date he traverses the Paths of the Dead, etc. ?

So where our Wiki gives a 'summary' potentially speaking to all those things in one place, this gives us a 'date by date' picture instead...
Something like that yes :)

If so, Is there a way in this calendar to enter a 'character name' like 'Aragorn' and all the dates inclusive of his name pop onto a select list for us? Or is the calendar itself strictly 'date driven' in terms of 'searches'.
Yes, I'm planning to add a feature where we can browse events by "subject" and it will then show all events where the subject is tagged (both as "main" and "other"...
We can also from this make a widget for the wiki pages, where it shows the "main events" (and "+X events" for the "related") for a character in the sidebar.

OR: are we limited just to entries on the subjects showing under the "Character" thingy there...

1699378472790.png


If we're limited to what's under the 'select list' is it possible to add an "other" category for stuff like "Quickbeam - helps Treebeard and other ents tear the walls of Isengard down" (on this particular date.)
The n/a (optional) option on top is the default for things that are "generic", maybe should make it a bit clearer from the naming :D

So if someone enters a 'date range' (if that's possible) to see 'what's going on', they'd have a selection of all the dates entered during that range and see what everybody is doing everywhere at that same time?
Yes since we have the events and date info, we can then fetch all events for a specific range and show it on a "timeline" (i.e. in order :D )

2. how many "related subjects" entries are possible to stick in?
I'm thinking we won't have any "upper limit", so e.g. a war/battle could have all of the participants tagged if we want to.. This is maybe a bit overkill so we have to see how we really want to use it :)
 
Something like that yes :)
Great..! A whole lotta mini-data entry tidbits can go into this thing..! Big project. (Ent checks his schedule and ponders the future.)

maybe should make it a bit clearer from the naming
Probably not needed. Everybody else likely grasped it immediately, even the Scarecrow in Oz..!!

I'll try to think up some more dumb questions. :rolleyes:
 
Another sneak peak :)

1699630548656.png

  • Added the possibility to react to events
    • Thinking if it should be possible to react to event edits also...
  • Wondering if we should have a basic "commenting" to discuss some event/edit... But might also just have a widget showing related threads that might discuss the same thing? 🤔
 
  • Added the possibility to react to events
    • Thinking if it should be possible to react to event edits also...
  • Wondering if we should have a basic "commenting" to discuss some event/edit... But might also just have a widget showing related threads that might discuss the same thing? 🤔
1. "React" - nice.
2. "React to event edits" -
a. Who can edit an entry? Everyone? The original enterer/poster?​
b. how will we know if one has been edited and can get another 'reaction' separate from the initial one?
​
3. "Basic commenting..." someone enters 'Durin's Bane appears proving Balrogs have wings".... or "Glorfindel of LoTR is born" with a different birth date than the 'Glorfindel of the First Age is born'....or such. Comments a-plenty ensue.
I'm not sure I'm much of a fan of this as opposed to just Widgeting up threads and Wikis where information and discussions are already in play. I'd vote for the Widget. (See 'comment' at end.)

ENTRIES AND EDITING:
1. Will new entries and all edits go to the Moderator queue for review?
2. Who can edit the entries? Everyone, like in the Wikis?
3. How can a member tell if there's been an edit since their own initial entry (should they care to)?
4. Is there a facility for someone to ask a question about a given Calendar entry for clarification of date, etc.? Do we need one?

COMMENT:
I think I'm personally seeing the Calendar as being pretty 'clean', with entries being pretty specific, short, and sweet, with links to threads and Wiki for 'more info'. I'm not sure I"m overly fond of a 'commenting' capability on a Calendar entry... though certainly remarking to them in the General Posts for clarification or question should/would be more than welcomed by all.

If it gets too elaborate and lengthy it almost becomes a 'replacement' for the Wiki and general posts, rather than an added enhancement to them.

I'll shut up now. Other thoughts from members may widely differ here..!!
 
a. Who can edit an entry? Everyone? The original enterer/poster?
Anyone with permission to do so I think..
b. how will we know if one has been edited and can get another 'reaction' separate from the initial one?
There is a "edit history" view, where one could react to the edit itself (if we add reactions for edits also...)

3. "Basic commenting..." someone enters 'Durin's Bane appears proving Balrogs have wings".... or "Glorfindel of LoTR is born" with a different birth date than the 'Glorfindel of the First Age is born'....or such. Comments a-plenty ensue.
I'm not sure I'm much of a fan of this as opposed to just Widgeting up threads and Wikis where information and discussions are already in play. I'd vote for the Widget. (See 'comment' at end.)
Yeah, maybe better with a button to "start a discussion" which will create a thread that is linked to the event, where members can discuss/ask/clarify things related to the event? 🤔

1. Will new entries and all edits go to the Moderator queue for review?
Currently no, but I'm thinking we might need that also..
2. Who can edit the entries? Everyone, like in the Wikis?
Anyone that we give permission, initially I'm thinking all members that have been here "long enough", i.e. not really fresh members, but otherwise all.
3. How can a member tell if there's been an edit since their own initial entry (should they care to)?
There is an "edit history" for each event, this is also "behind a permission" so we might not enable it for every member..

I'm also thinking we might add some "watch" functionality for an event, so e.g. If I create(or edit) an event I'm automatically added as a "watcher" so that I'm notified if someone else also edits the event later :)
4. Is there a facility for someone to ask a question about a given Calendar entry for clarification of date, etc.? Do we need one?
Here the "start a discussion thread"-button would come in useful also.. Need to think a bit more about it.
I think I'm personally seeing the Calendar as being pretty 'clean', with entries being pretty specific, short, and sweet, with links to threads and Wiki for 'more info'. I'm not sure I"m overly fond of a 'commenting' capability on a Calendar entry... though certainly remarking to them in the General Posts for clarification or question should/would be more than welcomed by all.

If it gets too elaborate and lengthy it almost becomes a 'replacement' for the Wiki and general posts, rather than an added enhancement to them.
Yes I agree, I think the discussion thread that is tied to an event might be the best option :)

I'll have to run now, but good thoughts/ideas :) Thanks! 👍
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top