Well, everybody else is getting a sequel to their threads from the FotR forum, thought I might as well get my own. In case anybody still wants to complain about characterization in the first movie, please see my thread Characterization in the movie was absolutely PERFECT!!! . There's been disappointingly little discussion there, given the complaint level in general on this forum.
Anywho, the game is this: I invite all who think that the movie The Two Towers grossly mis-represented the characters from the books to post their thoughts on the matter here. Please try to be specific, tell us what you felt the character represented in the books, and how that was not conveyed (or contradicted!) in the movie. All those who felt that the characters in the movie resonated with some aspect of the books, please feel free to help me post relevant quotes to support the portrayal in the movie (assuming there is any).
A couple of Groundrules, borrowed from the original thread:
1) Address specifics of the characters as portrayed in the movie, i.e., 'Arwen should not be waving a sword', or 'Arwen's lips should not appear to be borrowed from Julia Roberts' rather than 'Arwen was wrong in the movie.'
2) Please, no offensive remarks regarding fellow posters. I'm pretty sure that this is a rule of the forum, but I'd like to make special mention just so that it is fresh in our minds. In fact, I'd like people to refrain from addressing each-other at all, except for clarification purposes when responding to a previous post. I would also like posters to abstain from using the terms NPW, FAD, newbie, and purist, when possible.
3) No characterizations of other posters as whiny or bitchy (even if they really are).
4) Please no complaints about characterizations already portrayed in the first film- direct those comments to the thread in the relevant forum (linked above for your benefit).
Finally, for all those Erkenbrand fans out there, I'll point out that PJ gave him exactly the same number of lines that JRRT did: 0.
So have at it- I can't wait to hear about the character assasination of Faramir, how Eomer was portrayed as too ugly, Treebeard as too stupid, Saruman as too puppety, Arwen as too scantily clad, and Quickbeam as too quiet. Hope all have fun with this!
Anywho, the game is this: I invite all who think that the movie The Two Towers grossly mis-represented the characters from the books to post their thoughts on the matter here. Please try to be specific, tell us what you felt the character represented in the books, and how that was not conveyed (or contradicted!) in the movie. All those who felt that the characters in the movie resonated with some aspect of the books, please feel free to help me post relevant quotes to support the portrayal in the movie (assuming there is any).
A couple of Groundrules, borrowed from the original thread:
1) Address specifics of the characters as portrayed in the movie, i.e., 'Arwen should not be waving a sword', or 'Arwen's lips should not appear to be borrowed from Julia Roberts' rather than 'Arwen was wrong in the movie.'
2) Please, no offensive remarks regarding fellow posters. I'm pretty sure that this is a rule of the forum, but I'd like to make special mention just so that it is fresh in our minds. In fact, I'd like people to refrain from addressing each-other at all, except for clarification purposes when responding to a previous post. I would also like posters to abstain from using the terms NPW, FAD, newbie, and purist, when possible.
3) No characterizations of other posters as whiny or bitchy (even if they really are).
4) Please no complaints about characterizations already portrayed in the first film- direct those comments to the thread in the relevant forum (linked above for your benefit).
Finally, for all those Erkenbrand fans out there, I'll point out that PJ gave him exactly the same number of lines that JRRT did: 0.
So have at it- I can't wait to hear about the character assasination of Faramir, how Eomer was portrayed as too ugly, Treebeard as too stupid, Saruman as too puppety, Arwen as too scantily clad, and Quickbeam as too quiet. Hope all have fun with this!
