• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

A question about the Histories books

Ithilethiel

Member
Joined
May 6, 2018
Messages
388
I'm in need of the advice of those who own the Histories of Middle Earth books/collection.

I have been purchasing the Histories books piecemeal when I come across a great price. So far I've been able to purchase Vols. I-VIII and X (which I haven't yet received). None of the books match in edition, date, etc.

My question is, should I purchase Vol XIII, The History of Middle Earth Index or would it be a waste of money?

I ask bc I don't know if a given Index aligns itself with its particular set or edition. Would the Index match-up with varied editions (e.g. page numbers, chapters)? Or does each edition have its own Index that cannot be disunited from the whole?

Thanks for any advice given.
 
I don’t have it either, but it sure would be useful!

HoMe is twelve volumes without the index. Let’s say you remember reading something or another, but don’t recall in which volume you read it. It can be a real pain to find that reference if you want to cite it for, say, a post in The Tolkien Forum.

I don’t know if Index matches editions or not, but there is probably a conversion that you can use to go from edition to edition. I have a mixed-edition set of HoMe myself, so I would have to convert reference pages. It’s a fairly straightforward procedure, though you may still have to look at the page ahead and page behind to find the citation. There are probably a lot of folks here at TTF who can help you with the math if you need help.
 
I haven't got it either but my quick check (on e.g. eBay) showed it's cheap and available.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top