• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

A Stranger in Hobbiton

Sarah

Wandering Hobbit
Joined
Aug 19, 2002
Messages
573
'There's a tidy bit of money tucked away up there, I hear tell,' said a stranger, a visitor on business from Michel Delving in the Westfarthing. 'All the top pf your hill is full of tunnels packed with chests of gold and silver, and jools, by what I've heard.' - The Fellowship of the Ring, A Long Expected Party, pp 46

Now, I'm fully ready to accept that this stranger is simply a visitor on business from Michel Delving. However, could it possibly be Saruman in disguise or a spy of Saruman? Gandalf and Saruman were friends, he could have spoken to Saruman about the hobbits, and the ring, and the pipeweed, etc. and Saruman wanted to know about the treasures lying in the Shire. This stranger was sitting right in the middle of the conversation on Bilbo.

Just a thought. Like I said, I'm fully ready to accpet that this is just a simple hobbit.
 
But at that time (Shadow of the Past), Hobbits almost certainly were a concern of Saruman's, as he would have required spies far in advance before taking over the Shire as he did. Not to mention that later on, when the Hobbits are in Bree, we are told of Bill Ferny communicating with strangers, presumably one of the ruffians that would later help take over the Shire, judging by the description (don't have my books with me here at school so I can't quote it). All that being said, I would guess that the "stranger in Hobbiton" is simply a Hobbit from another part of the Shire, as there are no telling clues about him that would imply that he is a spy of Saruman's, as there were with Bill Ferny, ruffians in Bree, etc.
 
I think that you'd first have to consider whether the "stranger" is a hobbit or a Big Person...which I would think it fairly easy to say that the former is by far the more likely. I can't imagine Shire-hobbits sitting down to drink with a Human around.

Secondly, if you assume that the "stranger" was a hobbit, then you'd have to wonder if Saruman can take the guise of something so small. A bent, old man is one thing, but a hobbit not likely to be 2 or 3 feet tall? Unlikely, but possible. If Saruman's power of disguise is strong enough, he could use perhaps some sort of obfuscation (making others see what he wants them to see) to make other see himself as being so small...but I don't think so. As I said, looking different enough to pass as another human would be one thing, but to pass as something much smaller or larger would be something more difficult.

I could go on and on about questioning the level of Saruman's power of illusion...but I think it's safe to say that the "stranger" was just an out of towner. Hobbits are very provincial, and are generally suspicious of anyone not from their area.
 
Keep in mind that not all Hobbits were angels. Consider the shirrifs. They were Hobbits who were, at best, easily duped by Sharkey's propaganda but also there had to be some who enjoyed the power the held over a frightened population.

I can see this stranger as a Hobbit who could be easily swayed by the whisperings of Sharkey and his followers.
 
Ciryaher said:
Secondly, if you assume that the "stranger" was a hobbit, then you'd have to wonder if Saruman can take the guise of something so small. A bent, old man is one thing, but a hobbit not likely to be 2 or 3 feet tall? Unlikely, but possible. If Saruman's power of disguise is strong enough, he could use perhaps some sort of obfuscation (making others see what he wants them to see) to make other see himself as being so small...but I don't think so. As I said, looking different enough to pass as another human would be one thing, but to pass as something much smaller or larger would be something more difficult.

Saruman is a wizard, tho not much magic is mentioned, could he have (going the ways of dnd ;)) done something like "shrink person" or something of the like which would change his looks? Although I do think that it's more likely a hobbit spy.
 
Last edited:
The power of Tolkien's wizards always seemed to be much more subtle, not very strong...especially compared to the classic "Wizard" of lore. Gandalf in LotR is far more subdued--in terms of his display of magical power--than in the Hobbit, but I think it is safe to say that their powers don't extend quite to that limit.

As you said...it was most likely a hobbit, possibly a spy.
 
Sarah said:
Now, I'm fully ready to accept that this stranger is simply a visitor on business from Michel Delving. However, could it possibly be Saruman in disguise or a spy of Saruman? Gandalf and Saruman were friends, he could have spoken to Saruman about the hobbits, and the ring, and the pipeweed, etc. and Saruman wanted to know about the treasures lying in the Shire. This stranger was sitting right in the middle of the conversation on Bilbo.

Just a thought. Like I said, I'm fully ready to accpet that this is just a simple hobbit.

He very well could have been Saruman. But, my only question is, can Saruman change form? Because if he can't, the hobbits would never have talked to him. I would say he was most likely just a nosey hobbit.
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top