• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Ainulindalë film project

Joined
Aug 15, 2022
Messages
7
Hello, fellow Tolkien fans! I'm a film student from Brazil producing a project, a film based on Ainulindalë.

The Silmarillion is by far my favourite Tolkien book, and when I got a assingment to make a short-film based on a literature piece, I knew that I would do something based on Tolkien, and Ainulindalë is one of the best parts of the entire Silmarillion.

Now, I know that it's a hardcore task making an visually abstract story since it's completely based on music score, but I had a vision of the story based on Evan Palmer's marvelous graphic novel.

This is what I have ""finished"" from the film, although I'm wanting to perfect the score. The movie it's going to be approximately 20-30 minutes long. I'm not looking to compress the story that much, nor change it. But since I'm working with no budget, I will shorten some passages of the book, apart from that, I'm aiming to be as faithful to the story.

I choosed the black and white, 1.43:1 aspect ratio aestehtic because I feel it accentuates the abstract and ethereal factor of the story, as well giving a more "ancient" and classical look to it.

I wanted some feedback for the visual and most importantly musical aspect of the project because I want to do it just right, and I figured some fan feedback could help! Maybe even some ideas too.
 
Last edited:
I feel this is secret proof that Melkor's most favoured music is of the contemporary/modern style... :)

It's a beautiful film though: I've always loved the Ainulindale, and the Valaquenta.

Do you only plan on taking extracts from the original book, or are you intending to weave something else into there also?
 
For most of Melkor's Discord I used a combo of everything of the most chaotic classical music I could find, but mainly De Natura Sonoris. But when you say contemporary/morden is more of rock? Or like Tangerine Dream, Isao Tomita?

It's a beautiful film though: I've always loved the Ainulindale, and the Valaquenta.

Do you only plan on taking extracts from the original book, or are you intending to weave something else into there also?
Only the original Silmarillion book. I will weave somethings from the future in the vision of the Ainur, like The Two Lamps.
 
For most of Melkor's Discord I used a combo of everything of the most chaotic classical music I could find, but mainly De Natura Sonoris. But when you say contemporary/morden is more of rock? Or like Tangerine Dream, Isao Tomita?
Let's see...in my opinion, it's anything that isn't Baroque/Classical/Romantic. Basically anything that literally holds discord and too much chromaticism.

(I know Melkor's going to seethe at me in anger over in the Void, after hearing what I've just said - but I couldn't care less, since I'm on the side of the Valar. :) )
Only the original Silmarillion book. I will weave somethings from the future in the vision of the Ainur, like The Two Lamps.
You named yourself after one of them, I see. And before that fateful day of the Darkening of Valinor, the Two Trees shone bright also (but that's probably too far into the Tides of Time). :)
 
Let's see...in my opinion, it's anything that isn't Baroque/Classical/Romantic. Basically anything that literally holds discord and too much chromaticism.
So I think the Discord is pretty much alright, De Natura Sonoris and the other pieces are all based on discord and dissonance, but I think I will put some more synth themes in the likes of Tangerine Dream.
 
Hello, fellow Tolkien fans! I'm a film student from Brazil producing a project, a film based on Ainulindalë.

The Silmarillion is by far my favourite Tolkien book, and when I got a assingment to make a short-film based on a literature piece, I knew that I would do something based on Tolkien, and Ainulindalë is one of the best parts of the entire Silmarillion.

Now, I know that it's a hardcore task making an visually abstract story since it's completely based on music score, but I had a vision of the story based on Evan Palmer's marvelous graphic novel.

This is what I have ""finished"" from the film, although I'm wanting to perfect the score. The movie it's going to be approximately 20-30 minutes long. I'm not looking to compress the story that much, nor change it. But since I'm working with no budget, I will shorten some passages of the book, apart from that, I'm aiming to be as faithful to the story.

I choosed the black and white, 1.43:1 aspect ratio aestehtic because I feel it accentuates the abstract and ethereal factor of the story, as well giving a more "ancient" and classical look to it.

I wanted some feedback for the visual and most importantly musical aspect of the project because I want to do it just right, and I figured some fan feedback could help! Maybe even some ideas too.
An excellent piece that goes well with the creation story. I would add more deeper tones; very deep tones that are felt more than heard, “deeper than the abyss” maybe. Also, there is a long time in the middle of this recording where there is nothing but a black screen with music. You may already be dealing with this, so ignore me if I am over-stepping the mark. Maybe some graphics visualising Melkor’s discord?
 
Awesome!

You mentioned weaving in The Two Lamps. I wonder if it would be good to depart from the black and white format at that time. The sudden appearance of color coinciding with the lighting of the Two Lamps might be a nice touch.

Ormal: Gold
Illuin: Sky Blue or Silver
 
An excellent piece that goes well with the creation story. I would add more deeper tones; very deep tones that are felt more than heard, “deeper than the abyss” maybe. Also, there is a long time in the middle of this recording where there is nothing but a black screen with music. You may already be dealing with this, so ignore me if I am over-stepping the mark. Maybe some graphics visualising Melkor’s discord?
Thanks for the feedback! So, during the Ilúvatar's Third Theme I changed to have a more stern music, with the climax crescendo having a more "deep" feeling. The black screens as well the texts will be replaced by visual graphics like the other sequences of the film!

Awesome!

You mentioned weaving in The Two Lamps. I wonder if it would be good to depart from the black and white format at that time. The sudden appearance of color coinciding with the lighting of the Two Lamps might be a nice touch.

Ormal: Gold
Illuin: Sky Blue or Silver
Yeah, so the plan is when changing to the vision that the Ainur have of Arda, I will change aspect ratio to a more traditional 2.55:1 scope and show some Middle-Earth-like landscapes in full color. That is the first time that the Ainur technically see things, as they only knew sounds and songs, not images. Hence too the black and white, a nice separation of only light and darkness, the existence and the Void.
 
Not an update, as I'm still working on the first half of the film (up until when Ilúvatar strikes the last chord against Melkor that ceassed the music) and updating and improving the music, but I just watched The Rings of Power intro and the references to the Ainulindale are so good! It's a nice interpretation/reference to the Creation tale by the sonic vibrations with the abstract fractal visuals.

Just checking up (not to rush you or anything - take your time):

How is your project going? Well, I believe? :)
Oh yes, it's definetly happening, should be out by December? I think? Maybe November, it's a final exam sort of thing so it's supposed to be delivered by then.
 
Oh I am not asking now! I am asking where we can watch it once released! You misunderstand me,Vilisse!
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top