chrysophalax
Dragon of Note
- Joined
- Feb 12, 2002
- Messages
- 1,945
Caught offguard by the suddenness with which the dwarf's confident demeanor had vanished, Haluin attempted to lighten the moment. "It seems you know little of elvish behaviour, Master Dwarf, if you ask me to rest. "Rest" for us is not a physical thing, it is more spiritual perhaps. Our minds wander along the paths of waking dreams, giving us the ability to gain strength from the freedom such journeys bring."
Jokim sat still as stone, seemingly unhearing as he watched over the sleeping Druri. "He is fortunate to have you, Jokim." A disagreeable grunt from the dwarf told him he was being heard at least. "There is much you will teach him, over time. Things only people who have travelled, who have lived, can know...of both good and evil. He learns quickly and he is curious...an excellent quality in all beings in my opinion."
As no further comment was to be had from Jokim, Haluin heaved a great sigh and eased his way out of the close confines of the niche. Like all elves, he disliked confined spaces and he eagerly breathed a deep lungful of early morning air as he stretched his muscles gratefully.
Truth be told, Haluin was deeply concerned. The trip over the mountains was likely to take days and the fact that they had encountered an orc so soon was not a good sign. In times past, he had made the journey without so much as a hint of orc activity. This however, was not going to be one of those times.
His worry was now compounded by Jokim's odd statement that he wanted Haluin to direct their path from here on. Why? What had caused the sudden lack of confidence in his abilities? Steeling himself, Haluin determined to drag whatever was bothering the dwarf out of him, for all their sakes.
Kneeling, he called softly. "Jokim, come out here. Nothing can harm him now. Come out here and speak with me." "Nay, elf." Arching an eyebrow, said elf persisted. "Unless you want me to wake your injured nephew from some well-earned sleep, you will join me."
A soft curse and the scrabbling of tiny pebbles greeted this demand, then an angry dwarf was standing toe-to-toe with Haluin.eyes blazing. "What do you want of me, elf? Can't you leave me be?"
"No, Jokim, I cannot. You are being a fool." The dwarf's knuckles cracked as he balled up his fists. "Aye, well, at least I travel in like company." Haluin merely crossed his arms while looking down at the fuming dwarf. "Is that the best you can do? I say you are a fool because you choose as leader one who only knows the way as far as the elven realm of Imladris, just the other side of these thrice-cursed mountains!"
Unaccustomed anger began to stir in Haluin's breast, anger born of frustration and lack of understanding. "What is wrong with you? I have no wish to make your decisions for you, to become your scapegoat should my choices prove wrong. You prate of the past and how I found you. What of it? The past is gone and with any luck, you learned from it!" He stopped, his chest heaving as the words kept coming. "You are a dwarf though, so it is possible you learned nothing..."
The blow came without warning, knocking the elf flat on his back. Haluin's head hit the ground hard, dazing him so that there appeared to be two dwarves now trying to throttle him. Instinctively, he went limp, then as he felt Jokim's grip shift, Haluin grasped his wrists, thrusting the dwarf away from him. "You can kill me if you will, but not in front of Druri." he whispered hoarsely as he rubbed his damaged throat. "Forgive my anger, but can you not see? You are all he has. There is no room in your life anymore for self-doubt...or self-pity. He looks to you now for guidance and you must be there to give it to him. And, I..." a coughing fit set in and he found himself choking. Jokim took a step toward him, but the elf waved him back. "Nay, my friend. I've enough of your "caresses" for one day. As I was about to say, I am still willing to help you to your destination. No matter what you think of yourself, I trust in you and...you will find one day I'm not the only one."
Jokim sat still as stone, seemingly unhearing as he watched over the sleeping Druri. "He is fortunate to have you, Jokim." A disagreeable grunt from the dwarf told him he was being heard at least. "There is much you will teach him, over time. Things only people who have travelled, who have lived, can know...of both good and evil. He learns quickly and he is curious...an excellent quality in all beings in my opinion."
As no further comment was to be had from Jokim, Haluin heaved a great sigh and eased his way out of the close confines of the niche. Like all elves, he disliked confined spaces and he eagerly breathed a deep lungful of early morning air as he stretched his muscles gratefully.
Truth be told, Haluin was deeply concerned. The trip over the mountains was likely to take days and the fact that they had encountered an orc so soon was not a good sign. In times past, he had made the journey without so much as a hint of orc activity. This however, was not going to be one of those times.
His worry was now compounded by Jokim's odd statement that he wanted Haluin to direct their path from here on. Why? What had caused the sudden lack of confidence in his abilities? Steeling himself, Haluin determined to drag whatever was bothering the dwarf out of him, for all their sakes.
Kneeling, he called softly. "Jokim, come out here. Nothing can harm him now. Come out here and speak with me." "Nay, elf." Arching an eyebrow, said elf persisted. "Unless you want me to wake your injured nephew from some well-earned sleep, you will join me."
A soft curse and the scrabbling of tiny pebbles greeted this demand, then an angry dwarf was standing toe-to-toe with Haluin.eyes blazing. "What do you want of me, elf? Can't you leave me be?"
"No, Jokim, I cannot. You are being a fool." The dwarf's knuckles cracked as he balled up his fists. "Aye, well, at least I travel in like company." Haluin merely crossed his arms while looking down at the fuming dwarf. "Is that the best you can do? I say you are a fool because you choose as leader one who only knows the way as far as the elven realm of Imladris, just the other side of these thrice-cursed mountains!"
Unaccustomed anger began to stir in Haluin's breast, anger born of frustration and lack of understanding. "What is wrong with you? I have no wish to make your decisions for you, to become your scapegoat should my choices prove wrong. You prate of the past and how I found you. What of it? The past is gone and with any luck, you learned from it!" He stopped, his chest heaving as the words kept coming. "You are a dwarf though, so it is possible you learned nothing..."
The blow came without warning, knocking the elf flat on his back. Haluin's head hit the ground hard, dazing him so that there appeared to be two dwarves now trying to throttle him. Instinctively, he went limp, then as he felt Jokim's grip shift, Haluin grasped his wrists, thrusting the dwarf away from him. "You can kill me if you will, but not in front of Druri." he whispered hoarsely as he rubbed his damaged throat. "Forgive my anger, but can you not see? You are all he has. There is no room in your life anymore for self-doubt...or self-pity. He looks to you now for guidance and you must be there to give it to him. And, I..." a coughing fit set in and he found himself choking. Jokim took a step toward him, but the elf waved him back. "Nay, my friend. I've enough of your "caresses" for one day. As I was about to say, I am still willing to help you to your destination. No matter what you think of yourself, I trust in you and...you will find one day I'm not the only one."