chrysophalax
Dragon of Note
- Joined
- Feb 12, 2002
- Messages
- 1,945
Anger boiled within him as Eldarin stalked along what seemed miles of corridors on his way down to the kitchens. What was the woman playing at? Mentally, he shuddered at the thought. What must Haluin be thinking? One of his own tried to kill him out of spite. Unthinkable!
Descending the stairs, his mind taken up with questions, he could hear Elrond's cook raising her voice and slamming pans about. "What?! That newcomer and his dwarves are proving more trouble than they're worth! Tell me again, now...who has accused me of poisoning that Haluin and I'll go to Lord Elrond, I will!" He ground his teeth. Could nothing remain secret for more than a moment?
Two young elves who served in the guest chambers and several others from the sculleries were gathered round as she held forth, eyes gleaming. Secretly, they loved nothing better than when Cook went into one of her rants. A young elf with long, bright hair bound back with ribbon leaned closer to her friend, whispering and giggling, then froze. All of them froze.
"What's the matter with you lot? You look as though you've seen..." A quavering voice said. "It's Eldarin, ma'am..." and they made as though to scatter like leaves in the wind, but an imperious voice called out, "Hold!"
"Eldarin, is it?" Turning, the older elf turned and fixed him with a wary eye. "Is it you then that has cast these rumours about? See here, youngling..." She waved a wooden spoon at him, hand on hip. "If my lord hears of this..." Eldarin swept his gaze over the young elves who were attempting not to cower in the corners, then looked down at her, his face stern, but the light of mirth in his eyes.
"Good lady, I seriously doubt that you have harmed our guest, have no fear. However..." Again, a sweep of the eyes, "however, I have set guards at each of the scullery doors and all of your staff wil be questioned, along with the servants I see here from the guest wing. Interesting that I find two of them here just now." She raised the spoon again and he stepped forward, took it gently from her and laid it down on the wooden counter. "I swear to you that your work will not suffer, nor dinner for the master and his guests be late. I shall be swift!"
"See that you are." she mumbled as she snatched up the spoon and marched off with several of her assistents trailing behind like ducklings in her wake. Eldarin crooked a finger at the two servants he had referred to earlier and they came forward meekly enough, one of them fiddling with something in her pocket.
Always having been good with names, he greeted them solemnly, then brought them through the scullery and along the hall that led down to the apple cellar below. There, the two women sat themselves down on a low bench, while Eldarin leaned back against the wall, then ran a hand through his hair. "Yloris, Idriel, I watched you as Cook was talking and you seemed to think this was amusing." His eyes hardened. "I can assure you, it is not. A guest under Lord Elrond's protection very nearly came to harm because someone brought him tainted food. I will determine who it was, is that understood?"
The one called Idriel began to shake and the other two looked at her curiously. She drew her hand out of the pocket concealed in her gown and slowly opened it. In her palm lay a jewel, glittering fitfully. "I heard a voice in a dream, Master. It told me that the Mirkwood elf would be healed and I would be rewarded if I could do just one thing, remember a recipe that I would be told. It said that the lady would reward me if I did this thing...and here, this was on my pillow when I awoke after the dream. Is it not beautiful?"
"May I?" Eldarin plucked the jewel from her hand, turning it that way and that, then dropped it with distaste in her palm, then sighed. Of all the people in Imladris that could have been chosen to carry out such a deed, it would have to be Idriel. She had been born sickly and as she grew, her mind had remained young, never more than a child. When given the simplest of tasks, she would smile happily and run to do it.
Wearily, he ran his hand over his face. How could accuse her? Damn the Mirkwood witch!
*********
Angrily, Haluin cast aside his coverlet and rose from his sickbed. Neniel would answer for what she had done and before Tilion had finished his course across the night sky, if Haluin had anything to say about it! Hastily, he dragged his clothes on, scarcely aware that his tunic hung loosely open as he made his way along the twisting corridors toward the lord of Imladris' rooms. As he walked, Haluin could feel himself grow cold at the memory of Druri's frightened face and how even Eldarin had been momentarily taken aback by his outburst. Some premonition of death had gripped him, there was no other way to put it and had Druri come to harm...
His good hand clenched into a tight fist. Nay, Neniel! If there is justice still among our people, you will be denied yet again. I will not have you harm those to whom I have pledged friendship. His eyes flashing like flint-conjured fire, the injured elf finally fetched up before the door of Elrond's personal study. Inside, he could hear low voices murmuring, then silence. "Enter, Haluin, for the night is chill."
The door opened, swinging open soundlessly to reveal a smallish room with a warm fire burning cheerily, giving a warm glow to the oak-panelled walls, with their beautifully carved moldings standing out in bold relief as they outlined the edges of the painted ceiling. " A lovely room, my lord. Even Thranduil's study does not rival it." Elrond merely waved Haluin to a seat, then settled back into his own high-backed chair, his eyes fixed keenly upon Haluin.
"I am quite certain you have not come to comment on my choice of decor. Is it something urgent that causes you to interrupt me at this hour?" Haluin sat rigid in his seat, but did not flinch. "Aye, my lord. As you have no doubt heard, the young dwarf, Druri was nearly poisoned earlier today. I ask that you set a guard on the elves of Eryn Lasgalen for the duration of their visit." Elrond steepled his fingers. "Poisoned, you say? I have heard no such accusation. What I have heard though, is that it was you who asked for this so-called tainted food in order to throw suspicion onto the lady Neniel." His eyes glowed like obsidian in the firelight. "Tell me why I should not grant her request and hand you over to her for justice, outlaw of Mirkwood. I have healed you, fed you, cared for you and your dwarvish companions and now you come to me with demands instead of gratefulness. You disappoint me, kinslayer."
Feeling his face drain of all colour, Haluin took a deep breath, fighting to control the shame, anguish and rage that rose up in him at Elrond's words, which had fallen like a lash upon his heart. "My lord, forgive me if I seem ungrateful for all that you have done. I ask that you lay no blame at the feet of my companions, for they came here only out of desperate need, for my sake and Jokim's. I have asked for guards for the simple reason that I believe Neniel to be capable of anything, even the death of an innocent in order to get to me..." Elrond sat forward so swiftly then, that Haluin drew back reflexively. "Has it always seemed to you that you are all she thinks of? Are these not corrupt thoughts on your part?"
"Corrupt...? Nay, my lord! Ai, how can I convince you? It is my arm that is broken, not my spirit, nor my mind! My lord, she has tried more than once to have me brought low and, barring that, she has asked for my life. You are right to call me kinslayer, for so I am, to my eternal shame, but...I am not a liar! My word is true, my lord and-and I ask not for them to be watched for my sake, but for my friends, who are innocent of any wrong-doing. I will not have them come to harm because of me! And, if you wish me to repay you for your..."
"Enough, Haluin, enough! My lord, let this go no further. Lindir's suspicions are groundless and his prejudices abhorrent." Haluin whirled in his chair to see Eldarin watching him from the deep shadows of a window seat. The tall elf rose and came to stand next to Haluin as he gazed across at Elrond as though awaiting a judgement of his own. "I see you have a formidable champion, Haluin of Eryn Lasgalen! Forgive me for pressing you thusly, but there came to my ears certain distasteful rumours and I find it fortuitous that you chose to visit me this evening, for I have learned much that needed learning. Eldarin, take our friend back to his room and see that he is undisturbed. The next day or two will be most trying, I fear."
Outside in the corridor, Haluin confronted Eldarin fiercely. "Why did Lord Elrond accuse me...me? Do you believe I am capable of such a thing as well, or has your kindness been merely a dumbshow?
Facing Haluin squarely, the taller elf answered softly, "I was against Lindir telling my lord of his groundless suspicions from the first, and yet, as you see, he chose to. My lord saw his chance to determine whether or not you were indeed true. I...regret that you think I acted falsely." He searched Haluin's face, but his eyes met only a closed expression. "You should return to your duties, Eldarin. You need not trouble yourself, I can find my way." With that, Haluin walked back the way he had come without a backward glance, feeling once more both lonely and alone.
Descending the stairs, his mind taken up with questions, he could hear Elrond's cook raising her voice and slamming pans about. "What?! That newcomer and his dwarves are proving more trouble than they're worth! Tell me again, now...who has accused me of poisoning that Haluin and I'll go to Lord Elrond, I will!" He ground his teeth. Could nothing remain secret for more than a moment?
Two young elves who served in the guest chambers and several others from the sculleries were gathered round as she held forth, eyes gleaming. Secretly, they loved nothing better than when Cook went into one of her rants. A young elf with long, bright hair bound back with ribbon leaned closer to her friend, whispering and giggling, then froze. All of them froze.
"What's the matter with you lot? You look as though you've seen..." A quavering voice said. "It's Eldarin, ma'am..." and they made as though to scatter like leaves in the wind, but an imperious voice called out, "Hold!"
"Eldarin, is it?" Turning, the older elf turned and fixed him with a wary eye. "Is it you then that has cast these rumours about? See here, youngling..." She waved a wooden spoon at him, hand on hip. "If my lord hears of this..." Eldarin swept his gaze over the young elves who were attempting not to cower in the corners, then looked down at her, his face stern, but the light of mirth in his eyes.
"Good lady, I seriously doubt that you have harmed our guest, have no fear. However..." Again, a sweep of the eyes, "however, I have set guards at each of the scullery doors and all of your staff wil be questioned, along with the servants I see here from the guest wing. Interesting that I find two of them here just now." She raised the spoon again and he stepped forward, took it gently from her and laid it down on the wooden counter. "I swear to you that your work will not suffer, nor dinner for the master and his guests be late. I shall be swift!"
"See that you are." she mumbled as she snatched up the spoon and marched off with several of her assistents trailing behind like ducklings in her wake. Eldarin crooked a finger at the two servants he had referred to earlier and they came forward meekly enough, one of them fiddling with something in her pocket.
Always having been good with names, he greeted them solemnly, then brought them through the scullery and along the hall that led down to the apple cellar below. There, the two women sat themselves down on a low bench, while Eldarin leaned back against the wall, then ran a hand through his hair. "Yloris, Idriel, I watched you as Cook was talking and you seemed to think this was amusing." His eyes hardened. "I can assure you, it is not. A guest under Lord Elrond's protection very nearly came to harm because someone brought him tainted food. I will determine who it was, is that understood?"
The one called Idriel began to shake and the other two looked at her curiously. She drew her hand out of the pocket concealed in her gown and slowly opened it. In her palm lay a jewel, glittering fitfully. "I heard a voice in a dream, Master. It told me that the Mirkwood elf would be healed and I would be rewarded if I could do just one thing, remember a recipe that I would be told. It said that the lady would reward me if I did this thing...and here, this was on my pillow when I awoke after the dream. Is it not beautiful?"
"May I?" Eldarin plucked the jewel from her hand, turning it that way and that, then dropped it with distaste in her palm, then sighed. Of all the people in Imladris that could have been chosen to carry out such a deed, it would have to be Idriel. She had been born sickly and as she grew, her mind had remained young, never more than a child. When given the simplest of tasks, she would smile happily and run to do it.
Wearily, he ran his hand over his face. How could accuse her? Damn the Mirkwood witch!
*********
Angrily, Haluin cast aside his coverlet and rose from his sickbed. Neniel would answer for what she had done and before Tilion had finished his course across the night sky, if Haluin had anything to say about it! Hastily, he dragged his clothes on, scarcely aware that his tunic hung loosely open as he made his way along the twisting corridors toward the lord of Imladris' rooms. As he walked, Haluin could feel himself grow cold at the memory of Druri's frightened face and how even Eldarin had been momentarily taken aback by his outburst. Some premonition of death had gripped him, there was no other way to put it and had Druri come to harm...
His good hand clenched into a tight fist. Nay, Neniel! If there is justice still among our people, you will be denied yet again. I will not have you harm those to whom I have pledged friendship. His eyes flashing like flint-conjured fire, the injured elf finally fetched up before the door of Elrond's personal study. Inside, he could hear low voices murmuring, then silence. "Enter, Haluin, for the night is chill."
The door opened, swinging open soundlessly to reveal a smallish room with a warm fire burning cheerily, giving a warm glow to the oak-panelled walls, with their beautifully carved moldings standing out in bold relief as they outlined the edges of the painted ceiling. " A lovely room, my lord. Even Thranduil's study does not rival it." Elrond merely waved Haluin to a seat, then settled back into his own high-backed chair, his eyes fixed keenly upon Haluin.
"I am quite certain you have not come to comment on my choice of decor. Is it something urgent that causes you to interrupt me at this hour?" Haluin sat rigid in his seat, but did not flinch. "Aye, my lord. As you have no doubt heard, the young dwarf, Druri was nearly poisoned earlier today. I ask that you set a guard on the elves of Eryn Lasgalen for the duration of their visit." Elrond steepled his fingers. "Poisoned, you say? I have heard no such accusation. What I have heard though, is that it was you who asked for this so-called tainted food in order to throw suspicion onto the lady Neniel." His eyes glowed like obsidian in the firelight. "Tell me why I should not grant her request and hand you over to her for justice, outlaw of Mirkwood. I have healed you, fed you, cared for you and your dwarvish companions and now you come to me with demands instead of gratefulness. You disappoint me, kinslayer."
Feeling his face drain of all colour, Haluin took a deep breath, fighting to control the shame, anguish and rage that rose up in him at Elrond's words, which had fallen like a lash upon his heart. "My lord, forgive me if I seem ungrateful for all that you have done. I ask that you lay no blame at the feet of my companions, for they came here only out of desperate need, for my sake and Jokim's. I have asked for guards for the simple reason that I believe Neniel to be capable of anything, even the death of an innocent in order to get to me..." Elrond sat forward so swiftly then, that Haluin drew back reflexively. "Has it always seemed to you that you are all she thinks of? Are these not corrupt thoughts on your part?"
"Corrupt...? Nay, my lord! Ai, how can I convince you? It is my arm that is broken, not my spirit, nor my mind! My lord, she has tried more than once to have me brought low and, barring that, she has asked for my life. You are right to call me kinslayer, for so I am, to my eternal shame, but...I am not a liar! My word is true, my lord and-and I ask not for them to be watched for my sake, but for my friends, who are innocent of any wrong-doing. I will not have them come to harm because of me! And, if you wish me to repay you for your..."
"Enough, Haluin, enough! My lord, let this go no further. Lindir's suspicions are groundless and his prejudices abhorrent." Haluin whirled in his chair to see Eldarin watching him from the deep shadows of a window seat. The tall elf rose and came to stand next to Haluin as he gazed across at Elrond as though awaiting a judgement of his own. "I see you have a formidable champion, Haluin of Eryn Lasgalen! Forgive me for pressing you thusly, but there came to my ears certain distasteful rumours and I find it fortuitous that you chose to visit me this evening, for I have learned much that needed learning. Eldarin, take our friend back to his room and see that he is undisturbed. The next day or two will be most trying, I fear."
Outside in the corridor, Haluin confronted Eldarin fiercely. "Why did Lord Elrond accuse me...me? Do you believe I am capable of such a thing as well, or has your kindness been merely a dumbshow?
Facing Haluin squarely, the taller elf answered softly, "I was against Lindir telling my lord of his groundless suspicions from the first, and yet, as you see, he chose to. My lord saw his chance to determine whether or not you were indeed true. I...regret that you think I acted falsely." He searched Haluin's face, but his eyes met only a closed expression. "You should return to your duties, Eldarin. You need not trouble yourself, I can find my way." With that, Haluin walked back the way he had come without a backward glance, feeling once more both lonely and alone.
Last edited:


