chrysophalax
Dragon of Note
- Joined
- Feb 12, 2002
- Messages
- 1,945
It was nearly sunset and Eldarin paced restlessly in the small, bare room the sherriff normally reserved for interrogation. The elf had been told that Goran's master would be arriving shortly and to mind his manners if he wanted to keep his looks. Eldarin had merely glared and turned away. His thoughts had grown ever darker since his injury and even the light-hearted Haluin had not been able to draw him out of late.
What was Eru thinking when He sang into being the Secondborn? Were we not enough for Him to toy with? Just as the desire to smash something was becoming an obsession, he heard the sound of footsteps just outside. The door opened and a man nearly Eldarin's height entered the room.
Torgard's presence was commanding and he knew it. However, he was as good a judge of men as he was of horses and the "man" he now found before him gave him pause. There was no fear in the elf's eyes nor was his demeanour overtly threatening. Rather, he gave the impression of a powerful animal weighing its options and liking its chances.
As they stood assessing each other, the sherriff brought in two chairs, then left with a word, closing the door unceremoniously behind him.
"I want to ask you some questions and I want the truth, Elf."
"As I am not in the habit of lying, you will have it." replied Eldarin acidly.
"Good. I am a busy man and will not have my time wasted. Is it true my horsemaster Goran had...thoughts regarding my daughter?"
Eldarin's eyebrows went up. This was not what he had expected. "I cannot say for certain, but I never cared for the man. His character seemed unsavoury."
Torgard sighed deeply, his thoughts torn between friendship and what was just. His next words were heavily weighted with care and sorrow. "My daughter has told me this day of his advances toward her and of how Merrill, despite his wastrel appearance, sought in his own misguided way to rescue her, though it was from the wrong man."
The proud man stood , his shoulders bowed. "She lied to Merrill, telling him how she hated me and how badly I treated her. She made him think she cared for him and the poor, blind fool believed her. Now...if I can trust in what she has told me is the truth, you have done me a service and I stand in your debt."
He held out his hand and Eldarin stared at it for a moment, bewildered. Slowly he stood, clasped Torgard's arm and said, "A debt easily repaid. Let my friends and I continue on our way west and you will be troubled by us no more. Winter waits for no one and we have many leagues to travel yet before journey's end."
"As you say, easily repaid. Done and done. I will ask the Pony's landlord to give you supplies enough to last at least until you reach...where is it you're bound?"
Eldarin smiled for the first time in days. "In truth, I have no clear idea. You must ask the dwarf, Jokim. It is his journey, after all. I am a mere follower."
Torgard looked at him searchingly, then chuckled. "Very well. I will talk with your friend and again...I thank you." As he turned to leave the room, he felt a strong hand grip his shoulder and turned back. "What-?" "One thing further, Torgard. Do not despair of your daughter. She will be well, as long as she knows beyond doubt that you care for her." With that, Eldarin released his grip and slipped out of the room and vanished into the gathering gloom, eager to rejoin his companions.
He let out a glad cry, throwing wide his arms as he inhaled the crisp, apple-scented air of autumn. The stars seemed to shine brighter than he could ever recall seeing them shine before and he felt the cloying web of imprisonment and pain fall away from him as he strode quickly toward the Pony, the faces of his friends appearing before him as though guiding the way in his mind. Now, he could look forward to the Road and savour all the adventures it could throw at them and his heart filled with anticipation.
Overhead, a moon nearly at the full, watched as the elf hurried toward the inn and bats flew on soft, silent wings, seeking their supper. Below, Eldarin heard their cries and smiled to himself. An excellent idea, small ones! Prison food has hardly agreed with me and a flagon of wine will not go amiss!
What was Eru thinking when He sang into being the Secondborn? Were we not enough for Him to toy with? Just as the desire to smash something was becoming an obsession, he heard the sound of footsteps just outside. The door opened and a man nearly Eldarin's height entered the room.
Torgard's presence was commanding and he knew it. However, he was as good a judge of men as he was of horses and the "man" he now found before him gave him pause. There was no fear in the elf's eyes nor was his demeanour overtly threatening. Rather, he gave the impression of a powerful animal weighing its options and liking its chances.
As they stood assessing each other, the sherriff brought in two chairs, then left with a word, closing the door unceremoniously behind him.
"I want to ask you some questions and I want the truth, Elf."
"As I am not in the habit of lying, you will have it." replied Eldarin acidly.
"Good. I am a busy man and will not have my time wasted. Is it true my horsemaster Goran had...thoughts regarding my daughter?"
Eldarin's eyebrows went up. This was not what he had expected. "I cannot say for certain, but I never cared for the man. His character seemed unsavoury."
Torgard sighed deeply, his thoughts torn between friendship and what was just. His next words were heavily weighted with care and sorrow. "My daughter has told me this day of his advances toward her and of how Merrill, despite his wastrel appearance, sought in his own misguided way to rescue her, though it was from the wrong man."
The proud man stood , his shoulders bowed. "She lied to Merrill, telling him how she hated me and how badly I treated her. She made him think she cared for him and the poor, blind fool believed her. Now...if I can trust in what she has told me is the truth, you have done me a service and I stand in your debt."
He held out his hand and Eldarin stared at it for a moment, bewildered. Slowly he stood, clasped Torgard's arm and said, "A debt easily repaid. Let my friends and I continue on our way west and you will be troubled by us no more. Winter waits for no one and we have many leagues to travel yet before journey's end."
"As you say, easily repaid. Done and done. I will ask the Pony's landlord to give you supplies enough to last at least until you reach...where is it you're bound?"
Eldarin smiled for the first time in days. "In truth, I have no clear idea. You must ask the dwarf, Jokim. It is his journey, after all. I am a mere follower."
Torgard looked at him searchingly, then chuckled. "Very well. I will talk with your friend and again...I thank you." As he turned to leave the room, he felt a strong hand grip his shoulder and turned back. "What-?" "One thing further, Torgard. Do not despair of your daughter. She will be well, as long as she knows beyond doubt that you care for her." With that, Eldarin released his grip and slipped out of the room and vanished into the gathering gloom, eager to rejoin his companions.
He let out a glad cry, throwing wide his arms as he inhaled the crisp, apple-scented air of autumn. The stars seemed to shine brighter than he could ever recall seeing them shine before and he felt the cloying web of imprisonment and pain fall away from him as he strode quickly toward the Pony, the faces of his friends appearing before him as though guiding the way in his mind. Now, he could look forward to the Road and savour all the adventures it could throw at them and his heart filled with anticipation.
Overhead, a moon nearly at the full, watched as the elf hurried toward the inn and bats flew on soft, silent wings, seeking their supper. Below, Eldarin heard their cries and smiled to himself. An excellent idea, small ones! Prison food has hardly agreed with me and a flagon of wine will not go amiss!
Last edited:


