• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

An Optional Screenplay / Council of 🧝Elrond

excellent thorin that is the kinda common-sense that was needed when they were producing the film.
 
jamesy,

Well since the movie has made almost $300 mil in 14 days, you won't be offended if I chose their kind of common sense over yours, right?
 
Once again I will be civilly at odds with you Foe. We are not arguing that the movie wasn't successful. We're not arguing that the movie doesn't deserve to be successful. We're just arguing that it could have been better!! Your jabs are misplaced. After all, Thorin is simply responding to your challenge to right a script that includes more of the way things happened in the book and I think he's doing an admirable job. Don't be sour grapes about that.
 
you tell'em Grond!

Do you guys follow me around looking for a fight?

Im the new guy in town. Ive come to shake up this joint. You guys are getting lazy, and we all know the devil finds work for idle hands.

You're getting cosy with your easy-come easy-go movies and you've become too caught up in the impossible task of winning an argument with me. Relax boys. Take a quiet moment. Reread the books. Immerse yourselves in the beautiful language and the rich story line. Remember back to the days before this accursed film when you liked the novel called the Lord of the Rings.
breathe in. breathe out. mmmm. isnt that better? Uncle Jamesy will make it all better. I know you've been a silly boy but that's all over now. You know you've been naughty. There, there. It was all just a bad dream.
 
Grond, I am trying to engage in that same arguement, but I require proof that it is better. I have not jabbed at Thorin. After all, he's the only one with enough balls to back up his mouth with action. My opinion of Thorin's attempt is well documented and defending him against me means you didn't read all my posts.

But facts are facts, and as it is, the movie version is better. It captures the character of all the fellowship in a way that is consistant with the book without turning it into a boring narrative.

Besides, reading jamesy's response, it's clear he is only here to stir the crap and I gave him the response he deserved.
 
Foe, my problem is your statement above. "...But facts are facts, and as it is, the movie version is better." How would you know that? I am assuming by your definitive statement that you feel this is a fact instead of opinion. and without that addendum of in my opinion, you are on the attack and not participating in debate.

Therein lies my problem. State your opinions as opinions and we'll be okay. Otherwise, reveal to us why you are able to state it as fact. Are you a professional director, a critic, an actor? What gives you the awesome ability to tell us that something would be better on film? Just wondering?
 
Well, the fact that the movie has made almost $300 mil in 14 days, tells me that they did a pretty dang good job. It doesn't make any sense that he did a great job onthe entire movie except for the CoE scene. And if he was savy enough to make a great movie, don't you think he would have used a better version of the CoE if it was possible?
 
Your problem Foe is that you state hypotheticals as fact. The only fact you've presented is that the movie grossed $300 million in two weeks. You haven't presented any facts that it would have done better or worse had the screenplay been changed... because you can't. If I were to follow that line of logic I could say.... Wait a minute... I will say it..

I can unequivocally tell you that had PJ done the scene the way Thorin put it forth in his screenplay, the movie would have grossed $350 million in two weeks. How's that for a definitive, hypothetical fact?

Foe, state facts as facts and keep your opinions as opinions. Just because you think it's so doesn't make it so and you have no idea how the movie would have done financially had it been written differently... all you have is an opinion.
 
The facts are (again) that the movie made 300 mil in two weeks the way it is. I don't have to prove any other way would have been better or worse. That is the burden of those who think they could do a better version.

The difference is that I allow that those that can make 300 mil know how to write and direct scenes better than us and would have done so if it were possible.
 
Money money money mo---nnn--ey, MONEY!

300 MIL? Really Foe? That is fantasic! And the best part about it is we know at least 21 or so bucks of it came from Readwryt, Grey, and Thorin's pockets. Oh the joy.
 
Don't forget $14 from Grond. (I've seen it twice). I'll probably see it again next week. (God I hate that movie) I'm only going again to get a better perspective to argue with you guys.
 
Just thought that with all the newbies to the forum the past three months, I'd resurrect this thread to get your opinion on my revamped screenplay scene....

initially, I was challenged to come up with a scene closer to the book because I disliked the way Jackson did his.....I also did another one on the Prancing Pony....I can resurrect that one as well....Enjoy and give me feedback!
 
It's very good, nicely written. But IMHO it wouldn't work with as well as the PJ version. Atleast with normal audiences.

This is all speculation and guess work on my behalf, but I feel that normal audiences do not care to hear about messengers to the dwarves and dealings, what is needed to be said is that the ring is dangerous and there is little time. Then the fellowship has to be formed and gotten off on their journey, because at this point of the story, to have another scene with about 16 minutes of story telling and history of the ring, the audience would become bored with the story not moving along, also, even 16 minutes is a horrendously short time to condence a lot of info in, this was already shown in the Prologue sequence of FotR they crammed a lot of info into it for a introduction and still it was far from the complete history.

But having said that, it's a very nice work and you've obviously have taken a good deal of time making it.

We could use this thread as a screenplay section for alternate scenes in which people could post their own versions which they would have wanted to see rather than the ones in the movies..
 
Way back in the good old days of the forum, we had many arguments between film defenders and purists. Right after the FoTR TE came out, Foe-Hammer basically said, "Put up or shut up" to the purists. I decided to try and re-do some scenes taking into account both movie medium and faithfulness to the book. I wanted to try and redo the parts that stray grossly from Tolkien and make you cringe with one liners and PJ's personal touch that screwed it up even more.

The result was this thread.

I also did "An Optional Screenplay / The Prancing Pony" but it seems to have been lost in the Void of TTF. It was redoing the scene where Frodo slips on the ring and meets Aragorn. It seems to be lost forever. Must have been deleted in the clean up that happened awhile back.

I thought I'd revive this thread for a few reasons:

1) Dwarves like recognition when they're not hoarding treasure
2) To allow the newbies and even the members who joined the last two years to comment on it (see 1)
3) To stimulate thinking on others parts to think of a scene from the movies that bothers them greatly and find a happy medium between book and movie and possibly write it over using the book.
4) To revive some of the dialogue that has seemed to slow down the last couple of months.

Enjoy!
 
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…