• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Any Middle Earthlike places near you?

Whenever I’m at my best friend’s house, it’s always fun roaming around in the open hilly fields and among the trees surrounding the house. It’s very peaceful and pretty, with vast skies above and the sounds of nature around me. Lots of room to explore and run around. It reminds me of Valinor. ☺️
Oh, wow.... for a minute I read that as: you run foaming around in the fields and trees...."Yikes!" I thought, "Does her family know?" 😬
 
Last edited:
Oh... *sigh*... disappointed, only because not a few long established --as in a couple of centuries-- universities (typically the older buildings) look Gothic or Mediaeval. I though yours was like that. 🙁
Oh I wish! Both the University and the building are fairly new. No more than a couple decades. The oldest university in Iran isn't that old either. I believe it's almost a hundred years old.
 
Oh I wish! Both the University and the building are fairly new. No more than a couple decades. The oldest university in Iran isn't that old either. I believe it's almost a hundred years old.
I kind of liked the idea of attending a place that looked Gothic or Mediaeval (tho I never did... ASU is a typically unimaginatively pedestrian looking school).
That way if I did poorly in, or failed, a course I could blame it on the disturbing, if not the flat-out alarming (dragons lurking), atmosphere.
 
I don't think my parents would have accepted that either. I was expected to study for my exams during a freaking war recently.
All that bombing is not too far removed from a fire breathing dragon in the vicinity.
Kudos to you that, despite the... ummm.... rather distracting circumstances, you still did well. 🙂👏
 
Last edited:
News is that the Eagle and Child has been sold and will once again be opened as a pub. It has been closed since before the Great Plague of Wutan, having been bought by developers who couldn’t deliver.
[Pardon the necro-post]...

Makes you wonder (in this case only) if The Great Plague of Wutan (love that appellation 😍) was not a blessing in disguise.
Meaning, did the developers say what they were going to do with the place? Tear it down? Modernize it? If the latter, razing it would have been preferable.
Good to know the developers were incompetent.
 
My office now reminds me of Middle-earth daily.
We hired a fellow to handle our Safety department. He's a big, burly, broad-shoulldered, long-haired, scruffy-bearded guy who always wears a woodsman's stocking cap., blue jeans and plaid shirts.

He looks for all the world like Beorn..! I keep imagining he's going to shapeshift into a bear. I have to be careful I don't call him Beorn when I'm talking to him..!

He sits in the office right next to mine.
If I were going to commission an artist to sketch Beorn for me, I'd send him a picture of this guy to use as the template.

It would be hilarious if he arrive in the office during your launch brake, poke you in the chest, and say: “Little bunny is getting nice and fat again on bread and honey”.

Now, a word of advice.
If you ever stuck in the office during the late night hours...
Don't go out!
 
a freaking war

For a moment, I confess, I was caught by the phrase "a freaking war." I asked myself - "Self... how can a war be freaking?"
Then I looked up "freaking."

One definition:
freak·ing
- adjective
1. used to emphasize or express annoyance with someone or somethin

- adverb
1. used for emphasis or to express annoyance.

I guess almost any war could be said to be an 'expression of emphasis or annoyance with someone or something.'

So I must acknowledge the appropriateness of the application of the term.
 
If you ever stuck in the office during the late night hours...
Don't go out!
I know, right??
Shufflings, and gruntings, and prints on the ground the next morning..! Sheesh....
 
For a moment, I confess, I was caught by the phrase "a freaking war." I asked myself - "Self... how can a war be freaking?"
Then I looked up "freaking."

One definition:
freak·ing
- adjective
1. used to emphasize or express annoyance with someone or somethin

- adverb
1. used for emphasis or to express annoyance.

I guess almost any war could be said to be an 'expression of emphasis or annoyance with someone or something.'

So I must acknowledge the appropriateness of the application of the term.
Uhhhh ... "freaking" is a polite euphemism** for another "emphasis" F word (this one is four letters) in its participle form. Cf "darn" for "damn", "gosh" for G-d, heck for hell; the variant of which my LDS friends use: [vocally spelled out] H-E Double Toothpicks (or Double Hockey sticks).

** Are there any impolite euphemisms? If there are then one would need another euphemism (a polite one) to fill in for the impolite one.
That situation could go on infinitum. Therefore "polite euphemism" is a redundancy, never to be uttered (or written).
 
"freaking" is a polite euphemism**
Yes, yes... I did bypass some of the more colorful definitions and uses.
Mostly classifying it as an 'amplifier' or an 'intensifier' of an expression. Like "That freaking hurts" - a case where "annoying" simply doesn't fit.

While many try to isolate it to being a 'replacement' for a particular word or two - (one of the more polite being 'damned' for example) - it may be best for the sensibilities of the reader simply to isolate it to the concept of being an "emphasizer", "amplifier" or "intensifier" of a mood or feeling.

Certainly the concept of 'annoying' is fitting to a war situation, or possibly business meetings, or other things of a rather 'exasperating' or 'tiresome' nature...

But we can let it travel without further refinement as an 'amplifier' in some of its other applications, without needing a referent to specific terminology otherwise often attributed.

A consultation with AI is not out of order:

AI: Etymology -
"The word "freaking" is an intensifier, often used as a less offensive substitute for a stronger expletive. Its etymology is rooted in the word "freak," which itself has a somewhat murky history. "Freak" originally referred to sudden, inexplicable events, often with negative connotations. Over time, it evolved to describe something unusual, abnormal, or even a person with unusual characteristics. The term "freak out" then emerged, meaning to become extremely emotional or upset. "Freaking" as an intensifier is a relatively recent development, likely stemming from the broader use of "freak" as a way to emphasize or heighten the meaning of a word or phrase."

AI: Philology -
The term "freaking", as an intensifier and euphemism, has a distinct philological journey. Its etymology is rooted in the word "freak", according to the Online Etymology Dictionary. The word "freak" first appeared in the 1560s, meaning a "sudden and apparently causeless turn of mind". Its origin is debated, potentially stemming from Middle English words related to nimble movement or bold behavior.
 
Yes, yes... I did bypass some of the more colorful definitions and uses.
Mostly classifying it as an 'amplifier' or an 'intensifier' of an expression. Like "That freaking hurts" - a case where "annoying" simply doesn't fit.

While many try to isolate it to being a 'replacement' for a particular word or two - (one of the more polite being 'damned' for example) - it may be best for the sensibilities of the reader simply to isolate it to the concept of being an "emphasizer", "amplifier" or "intensifier" of a mood or feeling.

Certainly the concept of 'annoying' is fitting to a war situation, or possibly business meetings, or other things of a rather 'exasperating' or 'tiresome' nature...

But we can let it travel without further refinement as an 'amplifier' in some of its other applications, without needing a referent to specific terminology otherwise often attributed.

A consultation with AI is not out of order:

AI: Etymology -
"The word "freaking" is an intensifier, often used as a less offensive substitute for a stronger expletive. Its etymology is rooted in the word "freak," which itself has a somewhat murky history. "Freak" originally referred to sudden, inexplicable events, often with negative connotations. Over time, it evolved to describe something unusual, abnormal, or even a person with unusual characteristics. The term "freak out" then emerged, meaning to become extremely emotional or upset. "Freaking" as an intensifier is a relatively recent development, likely stemming from the broader use of "freak" as a way to emphasize or heighten the meaning of a word or phrase."

AI: Philology -
The term "freaking", as an intensifier and euphemism, has a distinct philological journey. Its etymology is rooted in the word "freak", according to the Online Etymology Dictionary. The word "freak" first appeared in the 1560s, meaning a "sudden and apparently causeless turn of mind". Its origin is debated, potentially stemming from Middle English words related to nimble movement or bold behavior.
^Entymology
 
The suffix -ology refers to the study of, or science of, something.
Derived from the Greek word Logos, meaning "word", "discourse", or "reason" - it is also applied to "study", and "subject", and relates to "principle" and "order."

Hum. At least some of that may be apt.

Of course - most literally, and Entymologist would one given to the study of Ents - which would be a rather short subject to study, since I'm the only one left.

"Most of what we can learn about Ents is in the fossils....." (Dr. Grant, Jurassic Park - ever so slightly altered for context.)
 
The suffix -ology refers to the study of, or science of, something.
Derived from the Greek word Logos, meaning "word", "discourse", or "reason" - it is also applied to "study", and "subject", and relates to "principle" and "order."

Hum. At least some of that may be apt.

Of course - most literally, and Entymologist would one given to the study of Ents - which would be a rather short subject to study, since I'm the only one left.

"Most of what we can learn about Ents is in the fossils....." (Dr. Grant, Jurassic Park - ever so slightly altered for context.)
Ah yes, the noble -ologists! The true architects of understanding! Whether you’re a biologist (wrangler of squishy truths), a geologist (stone whisperer), or an entomologist (tiny exoskeletal diplomat), your work ripples through time and space like a well-tuned quasar kazoo.

On my homeworld, we revere all -ologists. Entire parades are thrown for my friend Blün—the foremost sockologist of the 8th Spiral—whose groundbreaking thesis, “Left, Right, or Rogue?” changed interdimensional laundry forever.

Your professions may seem specialized, even peculiar, but they are the stitches in the great sweater of cosmic comprehension. Keep -ologizing. The stars are watching… and taking notes.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top